iPhone 5 slate still Darth Vader's phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ohenriquez, Sep 21, 2013.

1. ohenriquez macrumors member

ohenriquez

iPhone 5 is Darth Vader's phone as this Macworld's article had defined it:http://www.macworld.com/article/2010...evolution.html

The new iPhone 5s looks different from the slate iPhone 5

In my opinion iPhone 5 slate it is the best looking iPhone so far and I am sticking with it. Mine has no scratches at all as it has been well looked after. I hope the iPhone 6 will be a slate one. The improvements of the iPhone 5s are fantastic but are not sufficient for me to leave my slate one. It is my opinion only.

Attached Files:

2. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I just took pics of mine to list it on craigslist and I agree with you. it pretty much is the best looking phone so far. i had a couple knicks on mine which I believe is the reason they did away with it. my space grey 5S is pretty awesome. I loveeeee the Touch ID.

3. gentlefury macrumors 68030

The new gray is WAY better looking. It is a gun metal color with no paint to chip. Edges are shiny. Way better! Exactly what I wanted with the 5.

4. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

Nothing to chip? How do you suggest they got such a dark gray color from raw aluminum then?

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

One of the main reasons I bought my iPhone 5 was because it was black. ALL black. No stainless steel metal band like on the 4 or 4s and no gray like with the 5s.

My icons are black/grayscale, my GUI is black and my wallpaper is black/grayscale. Personal preference, others may like the gray and that's fine.

But for me not having a black as a color option for the 5s was dissapointing. I'm really hoping they bring black back with the iPhone 6 or I'm just going to have to swallow hard and deal with gray and that is not what I want to do with a phone that I will be paying a lot to own.

6. gentlefury macrumors 68030

If it's coated, it's a very shiny paint!

The only place I have marks on my 5 is buffed metal on the 5s.

7. pbateman, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013

pbateman macrumors 6502

So are the sides in the Grey 5s silver (like 4s) or anodized? I have a 4s and thinking of upgrading. I love the 5 in black but know the sides are scratch prone, are they also painted/anodized on the 5s Grey or are they unpainted like the 4s?

8. archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

I don't know where people are getting the idea that the Space Gray on the 5s isn't anodized. In my opinion diamond cut Aluminum isn't that gray color that would match the mat textured anodized part. The shiny part is anodized and treated similar to the slate of the 5. Please correct me if i'm wrong with knowledgeable and documented information. If the polished part isn't anodized it isn't on both phones and is color coated in some other way. It could be Apple improved the color process, but it could still be subject to similar damage but less noticeable in the lighter gray.

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If it is the case that the aluminum on the iPhone 5s is anodized, then the reasoning that has been suggested around here (MR forums) that the iPhone 5 was discontinued because Apple couldn't get this process down is false. It means too that Apple could have supplied the 5s in black, but chose not too. It also means that Apple could still make money with an iPhone 5 because it is doing so with the 5s.

So, why then discontinue the 5? Probably because Apple can make MORE money off a plastic case.

Thanks, Apple, but I'll stick with my iPhone 5 for now.

10. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

You do know that Vader's helmet wasn't solid black, right?
    :D
    It was a mix of black and gunmetal.

11. ohenriquez thread starter macrumors member

ohenriquez

Gjwilly comment was hilarious.

Very good reasoning from Eyoungren. I also believe that they may have discontinued the slate for financial reasons rather than problems in the manufacturing process. Hopefully, the slate darth vader will come back to the Apple store next year.

Attached Files: