iPhone 5 Slow

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nidserz, Oct 22, 2012.

1. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Hi everyone,

I have been using my iPhone since the first weekend it was released and am now noticing it is already getting slower at loading apps. I had the problem with my iPhone 4 - Tiwtter/Echofon/Facebook were really slow and sluggish.
    When I first got my iPhone 5 they were really fast and I was happy. However this week I am noticing these same apps are slow to load on my new phone.

Anyone experiencing this? Anyway I can help speed it up?

2. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Might be worth trying a hard reset.

On the home scren, hold the home button and power button till the screen goes black and you see an Apple logo.

When it comes back up you may find it to be running faster.

It is possible an app may not be behaving correctly in the background, so open multitasking and force close them all to make sure you catch the rogue app if it exists :)

3. canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

That's strange...my iPhone 5 is still very fast (and it's completely filled with apps). I think it's a bug in iOS6, some process is probably running and consuming your RAM/CPU. If I were you I would try 2 things:
    1) wait for tomorrow. iOS 6.0.1 might be released with the new iPad mini and, if you are lucky, you may have a fix for your problem
    2) try to restore your phone from a backup and see if it works. Restoring as a new phone would work 99,9% but you would lose your data. However you can do it as a test and restore from backup later

4. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Guys,

A hard reset should be the last resort. It's much better to try doing a normal reset first. Hold down the power button, wait for the "slide to power off" indication, then slide to power off and turn it back on.

Unnecessary hard resets have the potential to corrupt data on the phone; it's literally like pulling the plug on your computer without shutting it down properly.

5. jabingla2810, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012

jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I'm not saying you are lying, and i'm sure you mean well, but I and everyone I know do a hard reset if anything doesn't seem right all the time and have never had an issue.

Have been doing hard resets for years, on iPhones, iPods and iPads and not one problem ever.

It isn't the same as unplugging a computer, because we are dealing with iOS here, not Windows.

A hard reset is a totally viable way to clear the cache and maybe help performance.

6. canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

i agree

7. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

8. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

Unless I'm grossly overestimating Apples computer knowledge and desire for a smooth OS, a hard reset should be the same as a windows restart or a shutdown and reboot.

Why on earth would apple not make it this way?

9. nidserz thread starter macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Thanks guys. I did a reset and all, and it can still be sluggish loading times with the apps. I don't even have half the apps I did on my iPhone 4 so I am really confused. I have kept my iPhone 5 to the minimum (only limited to 3 games downloaded), etc.

I restored my phone as new as I had battery problems - I think they have returned as well. A few days I got good battery (6hrs50 min), now I am back to 5hrs.

Maybe another restore?

10. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Either your data connection is slower than it was when you got it, or you have a hardware failure. Using your phone will not "make it slow".

11. dk206 macrumors regular

lol omg noob