iPhone 5 sold on eBay UK but returned damaged. Options?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Steveh2780, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Steveh2780 macrumors regular

Steveh2780

Hi Guys, I recently sold my White iPhone 5 on eBay ( got a 5S a few weeks ago) I sold the phone in near immaculate condition (however I did not remove the Invisible shield on the screen and sold with it intact) The buyer has this week opened a case against me claiming that the screen has a deep scratch.
    I'm unsure if this was on there, I am very particular with my gadgets and baby them from day one, so I'm sure I would of noticed this. If it has been done by the buyer it is my word against there's so no real leg to stand on with eBay and PayPal.
    What are my options once I receive it back and refund- should I get repaired and sell on or cut my losses and try to sell for as much as possible on eBay again?
    I guess I have learnt the hard way and should of checked/got better photos. I asked the buyer for photos which they have now sent- the scratch appears to rainbow so I'm guessing it's deeper than just surface?

Attached Files:

2. Steveh2780 thread starter macrumors regular

Steveh2780

Would apple repair the screen or switch it for a refurb? Also any idea how much I would lose? It originally sold for £400

3. Steveh2780 thread starter macrumors regular

Steveh2780

Here's the other photo they sent me

Attached Files:

4. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

The scratch is probably in the invisibleshield and NOT the screen.

5. Steveh2780 thread starter macrumors regular

Steveh2780

There claiming that it's on the screen, I've asked them to check that it's not just a mark or even residue from the invisible shield install. Hoping that it is and that I can sell on as immaculate again. If it is actually on the screen what are my options? I'm against polishing it out due to it removing the coating

6. aneftp macrumors 68040

8800 emails? Man. Don't you archive or delete your messages?

7. Steveh2780 thread starter macrumors regular

Steveh2780

Thanks for your reply by the way

----------

That's the buyers photo he sent me, he obviously doesn't lol

8. MLAM macrumors regular

9. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Well, selling on eBay sometimes is Adventure Time! <rim shot>

Also, I'd confirm it's the same phone.

I've never had something like this happen so I have to ask. I know eBay favors the buyer in many cases, but how much responsibility does the buyer have? That picture doesn't IMHO show a deep scratch. Let's see the scratch with the protector removed and the screen turned off. Or a video of running a fingernail over it to show / hear it.

Also, your description should influence eBay. Was it "like new" or "mint" or anything that would indicate there's *no* flaws at all?

I hope it works out OK.

10. Steveh2780 thread starter macrumors regular

Steveh2780

Yes, would be approx 2 weeks left on the years warranty I guess?

11. redlinux macrumors regular

redlinux

Lemme get this straight..did you let the buyer remove the invisible shield and really confirm that the damage is on the iPhone screen? If this is, in fact, an invisible shield and not just some common screen protector, this should protect the screen even in extreme conditions.

12. Steveh2780 thread starter macrumors regular

Steveh2780

Thanks for your reply. Yes the ad was listed as mint, no flaws in it whatsoever ( as far as I could see) I luckily took a screen shot of the imei number so will be able to confirm if it is the same phone or not. Hoping that once shield is fully removed it is noting but residue. Just worries me coz you can notice rain owing in the affected area which would suggest deep scratch.
    Yeah I guess I've learnt the hard way with eBay this time round. May look into selling on Gumtree UK( Similar to Craigslist in US)

----------

Yes I asked them to remove, they said they did not want to remove it fully but would lift to check for my peace of mind

13. g4manimac macrumors 6502

I hate it when this happens 100% of cases opened on me are false and they always say I can fix it for this amount of money$$$$ looking for a handout and there was ONE time I by mistake didn't add tracking and a case was opened against me claiming they never got the item even though they actually had already left me feedback long story short the usps actually tracks all packages and u just pay a little more to have the option the view the information but they ended up helping me out.Just got one question did you Claim the screen as mint with no scratches ? Do you think they are trying to get a partial refund? I've found sometimes $20 or so is worth it to get them off your back and maintain feedback, personal preference I guess but your case lies in the description.

14. Steveh2780 thread starter macrumors regular

Steveh2780

I mentioned in the listing no scratches or scuffs, the bezel and casing was immaculate, not a blemish in sight. Unfortunately looks as though I trusted the invisible shield too much. My fault as I should of checked underneath I guess

----------

Also offered them £50 partial refund but they claim the mark is too annoying and they would not of purchased knowing of the scratch. Strange thing is they are giving me a case that they purchased and an additional cable with the returned iphone, either just a decent person or feeling guilty

15. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

ouch.

If you want to win the case you only have one option. Claim that they caused the scratch. If you can post up a picture before you sold it with no scratch you should win. Personally I withdraw all money from my paypal account after receiving a payment just in case something like this happens.

16. Dascoyne macrumors 6502

There's your answer right there. A screen protector scratch can look awfully deep but, in just about every case, the damage is confined to the protector. My wife had a deep slice in her phone that, I swear, looked like it went into the screen. Of course, when we lifted it the screen was immaculate.

Shame on the buyer for opening an eBay case against you right off the bat without checking. Have them verify this at an apple store and wait for their apology.

I'm sick of dealing with eBayers.

17. Steveh2780 thread starter macrumors regular

Steveh2780

Thanks for your reply. They are claiming that they have checked underneath, but I'm wondering if they have not. Good idea getting them to check with apple. I'm wondering whether to offer them £100 partial refund (sold for £400 so £300 is still ok) and get them to check with apple, or even pay the £129 for apple to replace?

18. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

If you offer a refund (even partial) it's the same as admitting fault which means they are able to pursue a full refund.

Your best bet is to claim the screen is perfect and they damaged it.

19. Steveh2780 thread starter macrumors regular

Steveh2780

Unfortunately photos I have of the screen are not clear enough to confirm no scratch under shield.just find it strange as I would normally notice any nick or scratches as try to baby them in order to get good resale value in the future. Unfortunately this time I may lose out. I've messaged them asking if they will take to apple to see if they will replace, but I don't really see them as thinking of this as an option tbh even though I would pay the £129 to get them off my ack and keep 100% feedback

----------

I'm definitely reconsidering using eBay in the future, especially with them siding more with buyers and also the ridiculous fees we now have to pay. Thinking that Gumtree is the way forward, get them to check in person that they are happy with what they are buying

----------

True but if I have no proof I guarantee eBay/PayPal will side with the buyer 99% of the time. Better to try to keep positive feedback and resolve with the buyer. What you say is right but not that straight forward with ebay. Chances are I would lose case, have to refund and lose the 100% feedback due to attempt at fighting eBay case

20. redlinux macrumors regular

redlinux

I see where you're coming from and I understand. I'm an eBayer and I, more often than not, buy from eBay. I always look for top rated sellers with no less than 99.9% positive feedback. The things that always get my attention is that the item is brand new, sealed in original box with eBay Fast N' Free shipping. If the seller somehow is vague and posts inaccurate info about the item he/she is selling (yes, I pretty much know about the stuff I'm buying), I'd go look for another one.

----------

Ah..yes..the unicorn of feedback rates. A 100% positive feedback can influence potential buyers to choose your item over the other. :)

21. Steveh2780 thread starter macrumors regular

Steveh2780

Yes it definitely does, I've got 468 100% positive feedbacks which is not as many as some but is pretty good for a basic seller, has been 3 years gaining that and do not want to lose 100% on this. That's why I'm trying to be reasonable with the buyer when really my blood is boiling

22. redlinux macrumors regular

redlinux

I see two options:

1. If you're unsure about the screen not being damaged when you shipped it out, negotiate with the buyer with the possibility of maintaining 100% positive feedback.
    2. If you're 100% sure that the screen was immaculate and you feel that you can win the case, challenge the eBay complaint and possibly win to get rid of the negative feedback. Then again, you might also lose which results to you possibly being demanded for a full refund plus getting that negative feedback (although refunded customers leave positive feedback most of the time if not being hassled).

23. LTSmash macrumors newbie

I'd just have the buyer return the phone and re-sell it on eBay or another marketplace while listing the scratch. It's really your easiest/best option as you can try to fight it but chances are eBay will in the end force you to take a return on it anyway.

I'd imagine your other problem is charge backs. I'm thinking credit cards work the same way in the UK as the US, so if you refuse to take a return he can call his card company and do a dispute with them rather than eBay. He's going to win the dispute (or there's about a 99% chance), PayPal will take your money and give it to him, and there's a very good chance he simply won't return the phone at that point. I'd say take out the money from PayPal but once the dispute comes in they hold your money.

I used to make my living selling on eBay and other marketplaces, Amazon, Craigslist, etc. and by far eBay in my opinion has the worst customer base. I'd look for somewhere else to sell next time but for now you got to deal with it. When it comes down to it, even if you knew for a 100% fact that the buyer scratched the phone, without a concrete way to prove it you will lose any disputes. I'm afraid this is just part of doing business online.

24. Steveh2780 thread starter macrumors regular

Steveh2780

Yes, I've messaged them mentioning about option of taking the iPhone to an apple store and seeing what options they are offered there. If they decline that I will get them to return the phone to me, if I feel that no way was it in that state when I sent it I will return the phone to them and fight the case.
    Did cross my mind if they already have another phone in place, maybe a new 5S or 5C or that maybe they have come over from android and could not get on with the 5, wanting an easy way out of the purchase ,and they have not attempted to lift and check underneath the shield

----------

Yeah that's precisely my point, unfortunately without proof I no scratch I have no leg to stand on and eBay will side with the buyer like you say. Will see what they come back with regarding taking to apple store but I'm thinking the same that I get return and refund them- job done.
    Out of interest what could I expect to resell the iphone for with the scratch? Obviously depends what someone is willing to pay but I'm guessing around £100 loss?

25. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

The problem with selling iPhones on eBay is that there is always the chance you will get scammed. This is why I personally sell my devices on craigslist. Still you have to protect yourself. You have to take pictures before you send it and you have to put in no refunds in the description. Saying stuff is "no scratches or scuffs, the bezel and casing was immaculate" is incredibly dangerous because that means 1 small small SMAALLLLLL flaw and they have a case against you. Furthermore it's important to always withdraw the money from paypal so even if you somehow do lose a case nothing monetary will happen. 1 negative feedback compared to 100s of good feedback is nothing to worry about. I'd care more about the money.