iPhone 5 - Something rattling inside

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Arisian, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

Hey guys,

Posted on this a few days back.

My iPhone5 has a few things rattling inside of it (one I assume is the battery) and the other is a smaller item...sounds like a piece of plastic rattling around.

Anyways, I called Apple and had them send me a replacement unit and when I got it, the high-pitched smaller rattle is even worse on the new phone that was sent.

Beyond that, the phone I have from Verizon now is unlocked to be used internationally be the one they sent me as a replacement is locked to Verizon.

I'm thinking about just sending the replacement back and requesting a year of Apple care on the product since its been making weird rattling noises and the screen sometimes has a 'glitchy' appearance to it. I don't think I can accept an iPhone 5 that 1) locks me in ( I work internationally) and 2) has the same primary issue.

I'd love to know peoples thoughts on this. Have you all experienced something similar?

Brian

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

That heavier, louder rattling on your first phone was probably a badly-seated battery. So yes, it was good that you got it swapped out.

The lighter/smaller plastic rattling is coming from the lens elements in the iPhone 5 camera. All iPhone 5 models have it, and the 4S has a similar rattle. It's normal. The tiny lens elements have to move in order for the camera to focus, so they are movable elements that get smacked around a bit in there, whenever you shake the phone.

3. b0bab0i macrumors regular

Also may be the lock button rattling. My lock button rattles like crazy.

4. Arisian thread starter macrumors 68000

Arisian

Thanks so much for the replies. That's totally what I wanted/needed to hear!

I was wondering about the 'Lock' issue. It worries me a bit

I've tested my old iPhone5 on AT&T and it works (verizon phone) - this is a good thing since I travel internationally.

I'd hate to trade in an internationally unlocked iphone5 for a locked one...

Thoughts?

ps
    The reason I say it's locking it to verizon is because when I go to register it on the iphone itself it says "This next step will lock this phone exclusively to Verizon"

5. Fxgmez macrumors newbie

I went trough this yesterday. I got the replacement and had the same prompt. I felt duped. Especially since you can't add AppleCare to replacements. I went to the store this morning before they shipped out the swaps (made a Genius Bar appointment at 9a) they found my original phone. Swapped it back and then I refunded the phone and bout a new one. This is worth it than being stuck with a replacement phone. Trust me!!

----------

Oh an I spent 4 hours in the store while they tried to figure out how to swap. There were activation issues since apple offers 30 days to return and vzw offers 14. I bought from apple so there were some puzzled faces.

6. bushman4 macrumors 68000

open the camera App. now see if your Iphone5 still has the same rattle. It seems as though when the camera App is engaged the rattle stops. Appaently the rattle is normal.