iPhone 5: Something special

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Widashy, May 18, 2012.

1. Widashy macrumors regular

Widashy

I read MR articles and all the fuss is about LTE or bigger display but you guys are forgetting something. There is always something special about every iPhone.
    iPhone 4 had surprisingly great resolution for it's time
    iPhone 4S had Siri, the virtual assistant, which no one thought about(Well, some screenshots of dictation on keyboard were leaked but not the Siri)
    So other than 4" Display and LTE, what can be the surprising/marketing feature of the next iPhone?

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

3. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

4. newyorksole macrumors 68030

honestly I think the main selling points will be

1) Bigger Screen
    2) 4G/LTE
    3) NFC Capability

I really want them to have a major "WOW" surprise, but it's most likely not gonna happen. All the good stuff will be in iOS 6 which we'll see in a few weeks.

5. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

I think what most people are looking forward to is a redesign. Apple rumors of a redesign last year had even companies wondering what was in store. Considering how the 4's design set a good level(or bad however you look at it), the 5's design will be a huge factor in marketing.

Of course iOS 6 and it's features will be greatly looked at as well.

6. Widashy thread starter macrumors regular

Widashy

iOS 6 would be for all iDevices. What I meant to say is, what feature, like Siri in 4S, could differentiate the 5 from the other iDevices. The New 3D maps do not sound like a big hype to me nor does the design. Also, the camera is likely to be the same and we already know it would have A5X chipset so what can be the special feature of the next iPhone. I hope it's just not Siri 2.0.

7. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

This!

8. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I think 4G LTE and/or a bigger screen is plenty to sell me on an upgrade.

9. cperchard macrumors 6502a

i thought iPhone 4 big thing was FaceTime?

Well...he left it for the end of the presentation anyway as if it was some major new thing :rolleyes:

10. newyorksole macrumors 68030

I think you read my post wrong. Those 3 points I listed are the phone-specific features like Siri and Retina Display. I'm just saying that the good stuff will probably be in iOS 6. As in, the only phone-specific features will be NFC, larger screen and/or 4G/LTE.

11. Rennir macrumors 6502

Siri really isn't that impressive. It's still in beta after all :p And most likely people didn't upgrade to the 4S just for Siri, so while it does differentiate the 4S its certainly nothing too special.

12. gta50419, May 18, 2012
    Last edited: May 18, 2012

gta50419 macrumors 6502

What im hopeing for

-4 inch screen.
    -Thiner.
    -Redesign (of phone & homescreen layout hopefully)
    -Wireless Charge.
    -Higher Resolution screen.
    -12mp Camara.
    -No home screen button.

13. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

No, that would be iOS 6. Restricting this to just the 5th generation iPhone would not provide a consistent experience.

14. cynics macrumors G4

Unfortunately I feel you are right. I pray that's not the case though!!

15. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

Blackberry style keyboard.

:D:D:D

Kidding.

Truth be told, I wouldn't expect anything Earth shaking, bigger screen, faster CPU/GPU, LTE and the big difference will be iOS 6. I expect iOS 6 to bring an entirely new experience to the iPhone.

The other modifications will simply be to keep up with the times.

Remember, once you've proven capability to pioneer, you can demonstrate wisdom by watching the trend.

16. ah123 macrumors regular

"4S had Siri" - the UK (and as far as I'm aware, most places outside US) has been screwed on Siri - was that really the special wow factor that the 4S had?

17. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Just like the 3GS, the 4S was merely a spec bump.

18. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Wrong, the article and video below were made prior to the keynote. Also, it was hardly a special or surprising feature considering Android (and to some extent WP7) already had equivalents in their phones for a while.

A Look at Apple's Assistant...

19. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

I would like to see on the phone:

• Waterproof (there are some new processes that have been rumoured for the iPhone)
    • Less fragile design (no glass back, body surrounding the front glass to protect it)
    • NFC
    • Stereo speakers (diagonally opposite so left/right in portrait or landscape)
    • Louder ear speaker (I have to have my call volume at maximum, even in a quiet room, not loud enough in a noisy area)
    • Magsafe connector

And for iOS 6:

• Time Sensitive alerts (e.g. audio alert for email during the day, silent when sleeping)
    • Be able to view old notifications in Notification Center
    • Social features in Game Center so I can more easily build up a group of friends for multiplayer
    • A makeover for Game Center and some of the other ugly Apple apps
    • App sharing app (allow images, files, etc. to be shared between apps)
    • Virtual iOS on OS X (I can show my app on a TV via Apple TV, why not allow it on my computer screen?)
    • Device registration (an easy way to register the device with a central database to enable easier recovery if lost or stolen)