iPhone iPhone 5 stay on 6.0 or upgrade to 6.0.2?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jeegnesh, Jan 21, 2013.

  1. jeegnesh macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2012
    #1
    Am still on 6.0 as I really really want the jailbreak whenever it comes out. Am wondering after the recent show of jailbreak on 6.0.2 is it safe to upgrade now before 6.1 releases?
     
  2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

    ECUpirate44

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2010
    Location:
    NC
    #2
    Best staying at 6.0 incase 6.1 plugs the exploits and theyre forced to release it for 6.0.x.
     
  3. jeegnesh thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2012
    #3
    But if its released for 6.0.2 and we are on 6.0 and 6.1 is current version then we have no path to 6.0.2, right?
     
  4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

    ECUpirate44

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2010
    Location:
    NC
    #4
    It's my understanding that there will be a short window where Apple will be signing 6.0.2 after 6.1 is released. Therefore, you would be able to download the ipsw and select it in itunes.
     
  5. jeegnesh thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2012
    #5
    I was hearing last time out this window was non existent, hence the concern.
     
  6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

    ECUpirate44

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2010
    Location:
    NC
    #6
    Hmm check out the planetbeing thread. I know the devs have said themselves stay on 6.0.
     
  7. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

    Dwalls90

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2009
    #7
    The golden rule is to always stay put in terms of firmware until a jailbreak is released or until the devs say otherwise.
     
  8. srf4real macrumors 68030

    srf4real

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2006
    Location:
    paradise beach FL
    #8
    I have a question for the op. If an untethered jailbreak is released for 6.0.0. or 6.0.1 but not 6.0.2, how dumb are you going to feel for not listening to the dev team? You can upgrade if you wish as it seems you do wish to.. but the standard advice is to stay as low as you can until we know which version of iOS 6 will work on jailbreak. Many have upgraded to the latest version of iOS in the past and had to wait longer than necessary for a jb for their mistake.;)
     
  9. jeegnesh thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2012
    #9
    No it's quite the reverse I was concerned about JB releasing for 6.0.2 especially as they have mentioned it can be done and off course they won't release till 6.1 is out then being stuck with 6.0 or 6.1 with no jailbreak option. JB is more important to me then being on the latest ios.
     
  10. srf4real macrumors 68030

    srf4real

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2006
    Location:
    paradise beach FL
    #10
    Okay then. Suppose, that the iOS 6.1 drop does not close the loophole, and a public jailbreak is not released because they don't want to burn the exploit. Then a week later, they discover an extra bug that they can exploit to jailbreak 6.0 or 6.0.1 but it does not work in 6.0.2 or 6.1 - so they could release a public jailbreak for anyone who has stayed on 6 or 6.0.1 while the rest on more current versions still have to wait until either Apple closes the loophole or they find another bug for 6.1.. 6.2.. whatever.....;)
     
  11. jeegnesh thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2012
    #11
    It's a puzzle guess ill stay with 6.0 as they haven't advised otherwise
     
  12. teamjaycub macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2011
    #12
    I think it's probably best to actually update to 6.0.2.

    If I recall correctly, the first iOS 5 jailbreak only worked for 5.0.1 and not 5.0.
    If things are patched in 6.1, they might decide to release for 6.0.2, and you don't want to be stuck on 6.0 because you missed the small signing window after 6.1 was released.

    Either way I think you'll be fine. (I don't think they'd release a public jailbreak and have it incompatible with the most current version of iOS)

    I'm actually currently trying to decide what to do as well.
     
  13. maxosx macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2012
    Location:
    Southern California
    #13
    6.0.2 is working very well for me.

    No major bugs or annoyances, it's returning pretty good battery life as well.
     
  14. jeegnesh thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2012
    #14
    Oh come on just when I was thinking stay 6.0 now 6.0.2 is back in the ring. Helppppp.
     
  15. TriJetHero macrumors 601

    TriJetHero

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2010
    Location:
    World
    #15
    official advise of the dev team is to stay as low as possible.

    @planetbeing has the jailbreak working on 6.02

    Make sure you keep up with news comming days, 6.1 is about to drop.
    If it drops and the jailbreak is for 6.01 or 6.02 only you need to upgrade in the small window that apple usually has signing both 6.02 and 6.1
     
  16. Throw Out macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 12, 2012
    Location:
    Germany/Brazil
  17. TriJetHero macrumors 601

    TriJetHero

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2010
    Location:
    World
    #17
    I'm on 6.01 stock myself at the moment, but purely because of hardware defect and replacement 4S by apple.
     
  18. nednarm macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2010
    Location:
    U.K
    #18
    I'd definitely upgrade to 6.0.2 - it's very, very unlikely the imminent jailbreak will be for 6.0 only, especially considering Planetbeing said he had his 6.0.2 untethered.

    Up to you at the end of the day!
     
  19. srf4real macrumors 68030

    srf4real

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2006
    Location:
    paradise beach FL
    #19
    Full disclosure: In light of recent events, I have updated to 6.0.2 as I may not have opportunity to leave 6.0 in that short window of opportunity should 6.1 close the holes for this jb.
     
  20. Hosei macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2012
    Location:
    NY, NY
    #20
    Always keep at lowest as possible so you can upgrade if required.
     
  21. iiPwn macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2011
    #21
    So, if I stay at 6.0.0 and 6.1 is released, is there any way to update to 6.0.2 for example? You mentioned something about Apple signing 6.0.2 for a while even if 6.1 is released. Maybe it's best to go 6.0.2 anyway, since that's what @Planetbeing stated that he have an untethered jailbreak for.
     
  22. TriJetHero macrumors 601

    TriJetHero

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2010
    Location:
    World
    #22
    See above, official advise from the dev team.

    There always has been a window of 1-2 days where Apple signs the old and the new firmware.
     
  23. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68000

    MuGeN PoWeR

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2011
  24. Siggen macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2011
    Location:
    Oslo, Norway
    #24
    And here is the verdict!

    Tweet from random Chinese guy, planetbeings reply.

    Google translate tells us this means:
    Mars 3G:
    I see you are Chinese, I am very glad to, ah, my English is not so high, do not understand your hair every time by means of software translation. But the technology, so that the Chinese people are very proud. There is also a problem. Want to jailbreak upgrade 6.1 or stick to 6.0.1 it?

    Planetbeing:
    Do not upgrade now.
     
  25. TriJetHero macrumors 601

    TriJetHero

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2010
    Location:
    World
    #25
    there's always people that don't listen to advise
     

Share This Page