iPhone 5 stolen on international flight...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by swamyg1, Oct 29, 2012.

1. swamyg1 macrumors regular

So, I put my phone in one of those pockets next to the TV set, it was securely held in by an elastic band. Went to sleep shortly after we took off, woke up a few hours later and my phone was gone. The lights were off and most people on the plane were sleeping, including my wife next to me on the left, and an old man to the right. After the plane landed, I tried to use find my iPhone to locate it, but it wouldn't work since the phone was in airplane mode. Since I had sensitive business info on the phone, I decided to to a remote wipe... Maybe I rushed on that, I kind of panicked I guess.

Looked everywhere during the flight, and after the flight after everyone got off the plane. Filed a police report and a claim through AMEX. I'm sure Amex will cover the $300 but I have to pay quite a bit out of pocket for a new phone. China Airlines could not help me at all, they kept saying "You should try to remember where you kept your phone"... Clearly the phone was stolen, it was not a "remembering" issue.

Just wanted to share my experience. Be careful with your stuff! I am extremely careful, but apparently you can never be too careful. I'm still shocked that someone would have the balls to gank my phone on a plane, never saw that coming! Phone will be in my pocket on flights from now on.

2. ProudLoz macrumors regular

Always assume someone is going to steal your phone in public places if you don't want this stuff to happen to you. At least, that's what I try to go through in public places. You can't always trust everyone.

3. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

iPhone Cardinal Rules

Over the years I have developed a set of cardinal rules regarding iPhones. They can be applied to any smartphone... but since myself and a lot of my friends are Apple fans... I call them my iPhone Cardinal Rules. It is very simple. Following them has caused me to never lose or misplace an iPhone. (Or drop one either!)

Cardinal Rule #1.

If your iPhone isn't in your hand, it's in your pocket.

Cardinal Rule #2.

If your iPhone isn't in your pocket it's in your hand.

There are only 2 exceptions to Cardinal Rule #2.

#1 Exception:
    If you are home, your iPhone can be left at your charge/sync area to charge or sync if that is consistently the same place you charge/sync. Don't constantly move your charger around your house.

#2 Exception:
    If you have a docking station for your iPhone in your vehicle, you may dock it there while driving, but under no circumstances are you to leave your vehicle unless you execute Cardinal Rule #1 or #2.

I recite these rules to friends who leave their phones on the table while enjoying a meal at the restaurant. By doing this, you are just asking for a drink to spill on your phone or to just forget it when you pay your bill and leave.

Another one for guys is leaving it on the top of a urinal toilet while going to the bathroom. Why not just stick it in your pocket while you take a pee?

4. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

whyyyyy do people keep leaving their phones out and expect that it'll be there when they get back? iPhones are the number 1 stolen things in most places, you went to sleep and left it in public view, how did you expect it NOT to get stolen?
    Thats like me being the first one to dress for gym and leaving it in my unlocked locker and expecting it to be there when gym class is over.

5. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Since it happened in international waters, its not a crime!

6. anonjd macrumors member

My condolences to the OP.

I completely agree with 1080p's post. I always have my phone in my pocket, and frequently will pat my pants to check if it's still there, same thing I do with my wallet. And I never leave it on a table when I go out.

You'd be amazed at how many people are careless with their phones (not calling the OP careless, because he wasn't, I've always seen people put their phone's there when they are flying).

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Skinny jeans?:D

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's still careless in my book.

9. duneriderltr450 macrumors 6502

duneriderltr450

Someone should make some kind of proximity alarm that hooks to your key chain and will vibrate when the phone is a certain distance away.

10. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Anyone who wears skinny jeans deserves to have their iPhone lost/stolen.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

LMAO:D
    I agree.

12. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

I saw someone leave their iPhone out in my marketing class, it was just sitting there in plain sight with no one to claim it. I've also heard about people in my school getting their phones stolen during fire drills and leaving it in their purse where it's visible. Is it me or do people just get more... stupid as phones get smarter?

13. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Damn, the weird thing is that NO ONE woke you up, or witnessed someone going into your aisle and stealing the phone out of the pocket. :confused:

That's pretty odd, and unfortunate. Sorry.

When I fly I always keep it on my tray in front of me, or I'm always playing with it. As you can see, I can't sleep on planes. Something about complete strangers watching me sleep...

14. zman2100 macrumors regular

zman2100

This seems relevant. It may not even be safe in your hand.

15. darster Suspended

Rule number 3
    When out in public, always assume someone is checking to see if you are an easy target.

16. eyespii macrumors 6502

http://www.zomm.com/

17. sevendust macrumors newbie

18. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Sorry but you just learned the hard way to secure your very expensive electronic products. Plus why should China Air help you? You're the one that was irresponsible with your phone. Would you have stuffed $600 in the seat pocket and gone to sleep? Most likely not so why would you do it with your phone?

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

20. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Good advice on never leaving your phone out of your site, but i have been on over 100K worth of international flights this year and in past years and always see people put their phones and iPads in the seat pocket. All the time.

Its remarkable that there is someone on an international flight that is a petty their. Its also crazy that the thief would likely had to reach over you and/or your wife and maybe the old guy too to get it. (assuming the old guys is not the thief)

21. enophi1 macrumors 6502a

enophi1

Another fella named Esai had his phone stolen on an international flight recently. He also tried "Find Iphone" and it didn't work, so he wiped it.

I really feel for people who have their phones stolen, there's no sure fire way of getting it back :(

22. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Im not sure i understand, but the way i read your post you found it missing before the flight was over? if so why did you not bring it up with a flight attendant right then.

23. MuayThaiGuy macrumors newbie

Hmm yes, i will just leave my $600, heavily demanded item out in public. No sense putting it in my pocket,waistband, bag etc.
    While i am it, i think i will take a nap too.

God i love the honor system

----------

Your own fault for leaving it out.

24. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

You can secure your phone in your pocket, what about ipad, laptop, netbook, any advice to deals with larger item.

25. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I travel international for work a lot. I use to just leave my wallet, iPhone, laptop and travel documents in a soft brief case when I'd fall asleep or head to the lavatories. I decided to buy a lock and secure everything in my brief bag by locking the the two zippers that join together. I think, people would be more hesitant to steal an entire brief case onboard the planes while I'm asleep or away from my seat.

Also, I decided to purchase a kensington lock to secure the handles on my brief case and fasten it to the tray table arms for extra security.

Do you think it was the guy next to you? Or the person at the adjacent aisle; even the person from behind you is my guess? When they get out of their seats, these people have full view of what you're doing on these planes and they saw the opportunity to take your phone.