iPhone 5 stolen overseas. Few questions.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RevTEG, Aug 12, 2013.

1. RevTEG macrumors regular

RevTEG

Hello,

I'm from the USA but am currently teaching for the next month in the Philippines. I made a mistake and didn't keep my phone in my front pocket while in a crowed market. Long story short, my phone was stolen.

I put it in lost mode from my iPad and left my wife's number as call back.
    My phone DID call back to my wife's cell but the caller refused to return my phone even for a "nice" reward.

So I erased and locked my unlocked iphone 5.
    I know the phone is gone..

Question....
    Do I need to report it stolen to AT&T?
    Will I have to pay full price to replace it when I return to the States next month?
    I erased and locked the phone. Anything else I need to do to protect my info that was on the phone?

Thanks in advance,
    Trent

2. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

If you put it in list mode why did you not track it. Call the police and they go with you. You screwed yourself. You lost the iPhone you have to pay full price or wait for your upgrade. You should report it so it can't be activated again. Since you erased it, theirs nothing else you need to do to it.

3. RevTEG thread starter macrumors regular

RevTEG

Thanks for the reply.

I did track it. For about two hours around Manila. However I'm in a 3rd world country. Getting the police to help with a phone in a city of 20 million is just not going to happen.

Besides erasing my info is way more valuable than the price of a iPhone. Lol

4. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

U secret service. JK. Good luck

5. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

You erased it thats good and I would still tell AT&T about it you never know they might give you a break on a replacement. If not your looking at $649, $749 or $849 depending on your storage 16,32 or 64

6. RevTEG thread starter macrumors regular

RevTEG

Thanks for the info. I've reported it to AT&T. If I do have to pay full price then I will just use my old 4 until the 5s comes out I guess. To bad the old 4 is at my house in the states.

7. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

for what its worth, report it stolen to the local police. they will give you a document detailing the incident as you describe it.

if its insured, thats the first thing they will ask for.

show that document to ATT and see what they say. you've got nothing to lose.

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'd check with your bank too...Some offer free travel insurance on items such as phones, laptops etc...I only discovered recently that my bank offers this by default.