iPhone 5 stopped receiving calls today?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kmichalec, Oct 7, 2012.

1. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

During the day, got a new voicemail from a friend, but never got any notification of a missed call. Wrote it off as just having been inside a building, and maybe I didn't get a good signal or something with AT&T. During the day, was making calls and sending/receiving texts with no issues. Later in the day, same thing happened again, VM, but no missed call notice. This made me curious, so I started testing it again with my wife's phone, and same thing. Had to do a hard reset on the phone, and finally it started working again.

Anyone else experiencing this? Could it be a SIM card issue? I previously had the NO SIM INSERTED issue a few weeks back, but never had that happen again. Any thoughts?

2. salsbury macrumors newbie

I have somewhat of the same issue, I would be at home where I recieve great coverage and people would call me throughout the day but I would not recieve any calls. They all told me my phone would go straight to voicemail, as if my phone was off. After I reset my phone, everything worked fine for a couple days and then it started doing it again. Im going to give at&t a call monday morning.

3. stringbeanie macrumors 6502

I don't mean to insult anyone's intelligence but the same thing happened to my dad and it turned out that he had activated do not disturb somehow.

4. CatsTide, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012

CatsTide macrumors 6502

Another thing that came to mind when I read this thread is SlyDial. It's a number you can dial and it sends you straight to peoples voicemail.

5. salsbury macrumors newbie

I just double checked and the "do not disturb" function is off on my phone, thanks for the heads up though.

6. kmichalec thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here's the strange thing. I know for a fact that do not disturb is off (I checked that as I thought the same thing, plus I was getting incoming texts throughout the day, so if DND was active, those wouldn't come in). But, I never have used DND before, but last night, I used it for the first time ever. I manually turned it on (no schedule) at about midnight last night, and tuned it off manually at around 9am this morning (confirmed the moon in the header was gone). Could there be some sort of bug that if you use the DND feature, it's still sticking on in some cases for incoming calls? I'll run a test tonight by turning DND on again, and then testing tomorrow. I'll report back my findings.

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

That happened to me twice after using an app that displays the phone number of a blocked caller ID call by using contitional call forwarding (I had kids calling me late at night until I unblocked their ID and called their dad). :D

Anyway, call AT&T and describe the issue and they will "reset" your voice mail / call forwarding settings. That's also something you can check on the phone but mine were OK on the phone but calls went straight to voice mail. The odd part it wasn't all calls so I gave up trying to figure it out.

8. kmichalec thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the suggestion, PNutts. I'll give that a try as well. I tried turning on the DND again last night, turned it off this morning, and then did a test call to myself this morning from my work phone, and it appears to be working fine today. So, maybe that's not the issue, but it just seems rather strange that the one time I've used the DND feature, the incoming calls stop working after. But I'll contact AT&T and see about them resetting the settings. If that doesn't work, I'll see about a new SIM.

9. hhd5f macrumors newbie

Has happened to me a few times in my home as well. DND turned off, I usually get 5 bars in my house, but people are saying the phone went straight to voice mail.

I reset my network settings per Apple's instructions on their website but that hasn't helped. What I noticed during these "outages" is that the phone would go from 5 bars to 1-2 bars, and weirdly the only thing that would bring it back to 5 bars is turning off / on the wifi...

10. aquadisiac macrumors 6502

It happened to me yesterday. It was actually Apple Support calling and i got a VM notification without it ringing. It rang when they called a 2nd time. Im with Verizon.

11. kmichalec thread starter macrumors 6502a

hhd5f,

Has it only happened in your home? Have you noticed it anywhere else? When you noticed it happening in your home, did you try going somewhere else (where you aren't connected to Wifi and see if it keeps doing it, or does it start working again once you leave the house?

Just curious.

----------

I got excited for a second when I saw the first part of your post, when you said it happened to you yesterday too, as I thought maybe it was just a network issue, but then I got to second part of your message, where you said you are on Verizon. I'm on AT&T, so that isn't it.

What did you do to fix it once you noticed it happening?

12. hhd5f macrumors newbie

I've only noticed the problem in my house, hasn't (yet) happened anywhere else (haven't been anywhere else with wifi for an extended period yet), and no, I haven't tried leaving the house during these "outages" to see if the phone comes back either

Seems to be directly related to the wifi, but obviously can't be sure. This never happened on my AT&T iPhone 4.

13. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

This happened to me last week. A friend tried calling me 5 times, with it going straight to voicemail every time... Meanwhile I was sending and receiving texts the entire time (even to her). Same thing, just a random voicemail popup with no ringing. I called her, worked fine. Now worried, I told her to hang up and try again. Sure enough, it worked fine...

:confused::confused::mad:

14. kmichalec thread starter macrumors 6502a

Did you do anything to fix it, or did it fix itself? What network?

15. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

No, it seemed to fix itself after I made a phone call for some reason. I didn't restart or anything. This was all in a span of about 20-30 mins. No calls came through, just voicemails. Then I made a call, hung up, and she immediately called back and it worked. Texting (not iMessage) during the whole issue.

Verizon, btw.

16. kmichalec thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks DDustiNN. I had to do a hard reboot on my phone in order to get it to work again. Keeping an eye on it, to see if it happens again.

17. ikegs macrumors newbie

I got my iPhone5 on 10/1/12. Ported number(s) over from US Cellular. One phone works fine, the other is missing at least 50% of its' calls. Texts are fine. Have currently spent over 11 hours on the phone with Verizon tech, replaced Sim card twice and had phone replaced yesterday. Same Problem!! Waiting for a call back now from another Verizon tech. ???????????????????????????

18. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Which carrier are you on? I had this happen all the time to me on AT&T with the iPhone 4 & 4S. I moved to Verizon with the iPhone 5 and have not seen the issue. This is actually the reason I moved, no calls coming through and voicemail notice not received until sometimes hours after the call.

19. ikegs, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012

ikegs macrumors newbie

Now with Verizon. New tech called me back as promised last evening. Spent another hour with me...rechecked/reset everything...she could not reach me with every call! (Thank goodness..gave me credibility). A few days ago I was told I was in a "marginal calling area", this tech checked and saw that I was less then two miles from tower and well within range of others. Phone had 4-5 bars during this call. She said she'll call me again today (on home phone). Seems to me the problem has got to be in the switch. We'll see, but not at all happy right now. I had an Alltel/Verizon business phone for years and never had a problem.

20. ikegs macrumors newbie

Problem Solved

Although not thrilled with the time it took (almost 3 weeks) I have to give Kudos to the Verizon Tech Support. It turns out that the MIN ported over to my new phone/carrier has somehow been assigned to some type of data device that has been interfearing the entire time. I won't go into all the details but the last Tech that called me realized that it was impossible for anything that I owned to be causing the problem. A little reprogramming and problem solved.

21. Legacy Wealth macrumors member

Ok I'm worried I just got a call from someone thy tried to call me 5 times yesterday and said my phone went to voicemail and my phone was on....I keep it in wifi though but yesterday afternoon I ported from AT&T to tmobile ... Please post a solution thanks

22. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

This happened to me yesterday and my wife on several occasions. Every time it happened whole we're home and wifi connected.

The messed up thing is you won't know that this is happening to you unless they leave you a voicemail.

To those that have experienced this, were you under wifi or 4g/LTE?

23. ikegs macrumors newbie

LW and hotsauce...in my case it didn't matter whether 4g or not and didn't matter if on wifi or not. My calls would go either directly to VM or after only 2 rings. If your signal is sufficient you should be getting your calls. My problem was literally one of very long odds.

24. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Same issue for me last night. Both wife and I have IP5 on AT&T and she called me and went straight to voice mail. I got no missed call or voicemail notification and no ringing. Later, not knowing she called, she mentioned it while driving home. She called me again and same problem. I then called her and she didn't receive anything either but I got a Subscriber Not Available message. Then the next try everything worked. BTW even after I restarted my phone it did not resolve the problem.

So we tried this again the next morning and the first tries failed as before with no notification and straight to voice mail. Then it all started working again.

Both were/are on LTE/4G. So far today it's working. With both phones experiencing the same issues I have to assume this is a network problem. I suggest trying airplane mode rather than a network reset.