iPhone 5 strange wifi issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by i4Collin, Apr 3, 2013.

1. i4Collin macrumors regular

Ever since I got my iPhone 5 on launch, videos from any source have been extremely slow to load over wifi. I speed tested my wifi which is a 35mbps connection and was disappointed to see I was only getting 9mbps down. If I download a large file or use airplay, the speed of my wifi on the phone increases drastically. I've tried testing others' wifi connections and the problem exists while connected to them too, leading me to believe this is an issue with the iPhone. The problem is shown in this video that I found (link). I'm just putting this out there to see if anyone else is having this issue.

2. berniefl36 macrumors member

Mine has been doing the same thing ,,, I am now using a wifi ad hoc connection to my iPhone and everything works faster and better bit it disconnects sometimes,, that's the only problem with ad hoc connections,,,I wish apple would fix this wifi issue,,,videos take forever to load and buffer on wifi but work fine on LTE and even 4g,,,strange bug

----------

Strange thing is when using airplay on the iPhone the videos work fine

3. Rayfire, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2013

Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Did you try making a Genius appointment to have it swapped?

4. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Maybe your ISP or a faulty wifi chip waiting to go bad:(

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

5. berniefl36 macrumors member

Genius wouldn't give me a swap,, couldn't duplicate the slow wifi in the store,,many people having the same problem,, maybe a bug,,, the link above is the issue I have,,,I have an extreme so I know it's fast,,, also have roadrunner turbo ,,, when downloading an app in the background the wifi gets faster,, weird

6. darster Suspended

That's really bizarre. It has to be the phone. My phone works fine via wifi at home and get DL speeds of 60 Mbs which is the same as my ipad and iMac. I hope you can get this resolved soon.

7. berniefl36 macrumors member

8. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

People have reported (mine included) that sometimes it's a problem with the compatibility of the iPhone 5 and the router you're using. I myself have problems on wifi network at home and my iPhone, compared to my school or friend's wifi network. Which is weird cause I don't want to replace my perfectly working router, just so my iPhone 5 can be effective on wifi.

Still a persistent issue as of now (I'm on my 3rd swap as of March 2013 since release day). My (current gen) iPad and old iPhone 4 works fine on the router that I have, only my iPhone 5 has problems with it.

9. berniefl36 macrumors member

It's a bug just like the video in the link shows,,nothing we can do until apple fixes it,,,has nothing To do with router,,, let's hope apple is aware of it

10. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I have LONG had this issue with youtube videos. It wasn't just my iPhone 5 either. I am pretty used to loading said videos via cellular data anymore.

11. berniefl36 macrumors member

Try downloading something from the AppStore and while its downloading try using another app like podcasts or something else like YouTube and see how fast the video loads or podcast downloads ,,, it loads WAY faster while downloading an AppStore app in the background,, it's amazing,,, very bad bug

12. berniefl36 macrumors member

13. berniefl36 macrumors member

Can someone tell me if 6.1.4 update fixes this issue or at least helps a little ?

14. berniefl36 macrumors member

6.1.4 does not fix anything,,,very frustrating

15. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The changelog will usually tell you if you can expect a fix to a certain problem or not. Just for future reference.

16. berniefl36 macrumors member

Yea,, I know I guess I was just hoping that it maybe a bug they fixed in the background,,, but I guess not,,,I think it's a hardware issue or maybe iOS 7 will fix it,,

----------

It's just strange when downloading a App Store app in the background the wifi flies/ blazes fast but when you stop the download the wifi goes back to its normal slow speed on wifi