iPhone 5 T-mobile users!

hello12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
I went to the apple story today, they were so busy, out of stock, and no help to me.
My question is... Should I buy the iphone 5 from verizon and use it for tmobile or shoulf I wait for the unlocked version to hit the apple stores? What is everyone on tmobile doing to get the 5?..

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
I went to the apple story today, they were so busy, out of stock, and no help to me.
My question is... Should I buy the iphone 5 from verizon and use it for tmobile or shoulf I wait for the unlocked version to hit the apple stores? What is everyone on tmobile doing to get the 5?..
I would personally wait for a unlocked AT&T version. Should work with the upcoming T-Mobile LTE network - the Verizon one would not I believe.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
Since it is unlocked, the Verizon iPhone 5 will work on T-Mobile. All you have to do is put in your sim card and you're good to go.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
If you buy the ATT version for full price, it will also be unocked.

Id go with that option.

Worst case scenario, buy an unlock on eBay for 8 dollars. But you wont have to go that route as it is confirmed unlocked.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
i dont really get the point of having an iphone if its only on edge network?
He might be in one of the areas where T-Mobile has iPhone compatible 3G up already. If not, then they will have it up within the next 3 months nationwide. $69.99 for unlimited everything (including data) is a pretty good deal compared to AT&T/Verizon.

hello12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
i dont really get the point of having an iphone if its only on edge network?
Because 3g is up in my city by december. And I hate android .. Tmobile said 4g by march, and I save a ton with them. Ill live with edge for a few months

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Because 3g is up in my city by december. And I hate android .. Tmobile said 4g by march, and I save a ton with them. Ill live with edge for a few months
sweet deal. id be doing the same if i didnt have unlimited LTE with verizon. 3g is suppose to be here too.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Like others said, if you are not in an area with 3G already you will be using EDGE until you get it

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Yes I know that!!! But how do I go about getting an unlocked iphone 5?? Thay works on all frequencies
i am going to the apple store tomorrow to buy two iPhone 5's for T-mobile. I heard from multiple people that if you buy the AT&T "device only" it comes unlocked.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Yes I know that!!! But how do I go about getting an unlocked iphone 5?? Thay works on all frequencies
Buy the AT&T one full price no contract. It's unlocked out of the box and will be compatible with T-Mobile's refarmed 3G network as well as their future LTE network next year.

roflc0pter

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2010
If it doesn't come unlocked, just pay $10 on eBay and have a seller unlock it. Problem solved

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
Will the Verizon iPhone be compatible with T-Mobile's 3G Network?
It will be compatible with T-Mobile's 4G network. I went in and asked a T-Mobile employee a few days ago.

I'm going to Las Vegas next week and T-Mobile has their 3G/4G network up and running there. I'm interested to see what type of speeds I get on the 4S.

vietalogy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
To buy from AT&T you have to have a account with them to buy a phone. You can buy one used and get it unlocked through a vendor or eBay.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
It will be compatible with T-Mobile's 4G network. I went in and asked a T-Mobile employee a few days ago.

I'm going to Las Vegas next week and T-Mobile has their 3G/4G network up and running there. I'm interested to see what type of speeds I get on the 4S.
It won't be compatible with their upcoming LTE network. It needs to support LTE over AWS - which the AT&T iPhone 5 is the only one that supports it.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
It won't be compatible with their upcoming LTE network. It needs to support LTE over AWS - which the AT&T iPhone 5 is the only one that supports it.
I don't really care about LTE. T-Mobile's 4G speeds are fast enough for me.

----------

Oh, another thing I asked the T-Mobile rep was if I brought in an iPhone 5 and got their new nano sim for it would they try and take me off the $30 plan that I currently have with my 4S and put me on a more expensive plan. He said no.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I don't really care about LTE. T-Mobile's 4G speeds are fast enough for me.

----------

Oh, another thing I asked the T-Mobile rep was if I brought in an iPhone 5 and got their new nano sim for it would they try and take me off the $30 plan that I currently have with my 4S and put me on a more expensive plan. He said no.
He's right. We just go into your account and change your sim card number to the new Nano Sim card number. No account or plan changes required.