iPhone 5 & T-Mobile's $30 Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by T2Rife, Apr 14, 2013.

1. T2Rife macrumors newbie

This summer my son is heading to college in Chicago and I'm planning on switching him from my VZW family plan and onto his own plan. Walmart has a $30 5gb data, Unlm Text and 100 voice minutes plan for T-mobile and the plan is to get him on that. Someone on the forums must have done this recently and I wanted to make sure that I am not wasting any time or money getting something I don't need so I wanted to run it past all of you, so here is the plan.

Buy an iPhone5 16gb outright from Apple $649
    Buy a Sim activation lit from Walmart $9.99
    Buy Nano Sim cutter from Amazon $7.99

After I get all of those I should be able to just go to the T-Mobile website and select the $30 pay as you go plan right? By switching him to this plan it will save me $17 a month. If it works out I plan on doing the same thing for my wife's line and then mine when the ETF gets reasonable.

2. macalec macrumors 6502

Why do you want to switch him off Verizon?

3. T2Rife thread starter macrumors newbie

It would save me $17 a month if I switch him over. Also, it would be to help line him up with his own service instead of being on a family plan. I hope to try and teach him to plan for his bills this way.

4. vanluuk macrumors member

You can just buy a sim online from tmobile ( they are often 1$) and use some scissors

5. Kevin813 macrumors newbie

This. You don't even need to be that perfect, I bought the $.99 sim card and used a regular pair of scissors. Im on the $30 5gb of 4g plan

6. T2Rife thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought you had to get the sim from Walmart to be eligible for the plan? If not that saves me $9. See this is why I come to this site. People here are much smarter than I am.

7. jjx360 macrumors newbie

Don't buy a sim cutter. Here is how I did it:

I wanted to get the $30 prepaid unlimited text/data plan, but didn't want to wait for tmobile to ship me a sim activation kit. So I went to the tmobile store, and someone there was able to help me out. He said tmobile store can only offer the other $30 plan (1500 talk/txt) along with the nano sim for $10 (some BS activation fee, but it's the same cost for the sim online). He said once the account is activated, I can call customer service and switch it to the unlimited txt/data w/100 min. So as soon as I left the store, I called customer service and told them I was told by a Tmobile store rep that I could switch to it. I had no issues and switch was quick. Hope it helps.

8. bozzykid macrumors 68020

The plan is for Walmart and T-mobile.com purchased SIMs. Sometimes t-mobile.com sims will give you an error when enter the activation code but they will activate it on over phone if it doesn't work. You don't have to buy a SIM cutter but it will save you time and headache of cutting one manually. If you buy a sim cutter, I would buy a regular sim (not a micro sim) so you don't have to use the adapter when you cut it. I bought one off Amazon and it worked perfect and fit my iPhone just fine.

9. MVRL macrumors regular

MVRL

i kinda went the same route, except for i bought a pre-cut sim from amazon. It's pretty neatly cut and has given me no problems at all.

10. T2Rife thread starter macrumors newbie

I wasn't aware that there were people selling pre cut sim cards on Amazon. I just ordered one from someone who had a lot of positive reviews for $15. Basically free as I had $16 on my account from a rewards card and a bonus card!

Sometimes we are all smarter together than we are alone!

11. dewthedru macrumors regular

i just bought my phone out of contract at the apple store. i came with a SIM card and i called up t-mobile and they had no problem putting me on the $30/mo plan.

12. sparrky macrumors 6502a

sparrky

They were able to activate the nano sim that came with your iphone?

A lot of people were told they couldn't activate the nano sim on a prepaid plan, so that's good to know it actually is possible.

13. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Technically they aren't suppose to activate a new account without a activation code that comes with the SIM card. However, if you play CSR roulette you might can get them to.

14. dewthedru macrumors regular

yup. he asked for the activation code and i told him i just wanted to use the sim that came in the phone from the apple store.

90 seconds later he had it done and i got a text with instructions on how to load my account with $$