iPhone 5 - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jimrod, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Jimrod macrumors 65816

The Good:

Overall feel and look is very smart and more comfortable than the 4/4S to hold. (I have the black version though think the white arguably looks even better. I prefer a black border on the screen in daily use.)

The new screen size for me, as someone dubious about going to "only" 4" is very nice indeed - I didn't really notice any negatives in the transition from an iPhone 4 as I thought I might.

Speed of operation, overall very slick in most areas and feels rapid under most circumstances.

Light weight - had the possibility to feel "cheap" but doesn't in the hand due to the solid construction, an improvement over the heavy older phones.

Speaker - Nice upgrade on the old model (as are the headphones) which goes both louder and deeper, within the constraints that are down to physics of course! Nice to not be outdone in the volume battle by Samsung/HTC wielding friends any more.

The Bad:

WiFi freezes or dropouts, have experienced these on three occasions where not even the App Centre will load despite every other device on WiFi having no problem (including iPhone 4 operating at the same time). When it's working it's very fast but this problem has arisen in two separate locations and networks.

Yellow tinted screen, mine definitely displays a yellow tint. It's more noticeable next to the iPhone 4 and iPad 2 I have but on more than one occasion I've noticed whites looking "off" and skin tones a little sickly. I'm not a big believer in the glue-curing story so if as I expect this doesn't improve in the next week it may well be a return issue for me. I will measure color temp with a lightmeter later and update the thread. I'm aware the iPhone 4 had a blueish tint but this mainly looks "clean" compared to a yellow tint so is less distracting. My iPad 2 displays very good color balance.

Battery life, while not terrible by any means is certainly down on my iPhone 4. I expect it's comparable to a 4S but overnight with 3G and Bluetooth off (WiFi on) it dropped about 3%, my 4 would still be at 100% in the same circumstances, I'm not sure why the phone would use more battery just to sit at idle like that. I could probably get a couple of days max out of it with normal mixed use judging by the weekend's experiences so this is just about OK.

The Ugly:

Scuffs on the anodised aluminium. I checked the phone over when new and saw no marks, I can now see one tiny mark on the back bezel where it meets the glass panel, it's small and not a huge problem yet but the phone wasn't knocked or mishandled, slammed down or anything else abusive. How this finish holds up over the next couple of years remains to be seen but it's not looking hopeful for durability going by the amount of reports on this problem.

No I will not get a case, I never have as the phone spends most of its day in my pocket and I don't require any additional bulges down there thank you very much. ;)

I haven't mentioned maps as that's an iOS issue and can be fixed, for now they look "ok" in my area - the location is not as accurate as before that's for sure, I'm now about 50 feet away from where I actually am according to them - this won't help if I ever need "Find my iPhone" will it? Other than that iOS 6 (and Siri which is new for me) are quite solid - Siri actually found out my local football (soccer) scores in less time than it would have taken me to look them up.

Just a small write-up of my experiences for those who haven't yet decided on or received their iPhone 5.

Cheers,

Jim.

2. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

Thanks for taking the time to write this Jim. You can tell a good deal more thought went into your post than most threads started here :)

3. Jimrod thread starter macrumors 65816

Cheers Big Mac Daddy! :)

4. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

One good thing I've noticed is that the iPhone 5 doesn't heat up like the 4S and 4 would under heavy use. They could get very warm during intensive tasks.

The iPhone 5 stays nice and cool, I'm Putting this down to the fact that its a beast :D

5. ARSC macrumors 6502

6. virtuosity macrumors member

Top post OP, thanks for spending the time to eloquently put your view forward, appreciate it.

7. Ramonn macrumors member

The Good...

Bigger, thinner, powerful battery.

The Bad...

Battery lasts only 4-5 hours of typical usage.

The ugly..

Apple trippin about battery on launch day...

Thou overall better performance on i5, all this madness sacrificed battery usage...

8. Daniel L macrumors 6502

Im getting some crazy battery life out of mine. Maybe it's a network thing?

9. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

That's weird because mine heats up more than my 4S.

10. ashleybrown07 macrumors newbie

But apple said the battery can last up to 10 hours for normal usage, I guess we will see more iphone 5 problem updates soon.

11. Deako macrumors 6502

Same here, took my phone off charge Sunday morning UK time, its now Monday morning UK time, approx 24 hours later and i still have 58% battery.

12. Jimrod thread starter macrumors 65816

The battery definitely isn't lasting as well as my iPhone 4 but then the 4S didn't seem to either according to what I've heard/read. As it is it's at 94% after taking it off charge at 9:00am (four and half hours ago) with some texting/Siri/Bluetooth use but nothing major. Not terrible but not fantastic.

13. Ramonn macrumors member

Dot.

Yes better battery however new A6 and bigger screen means more battery consumption therefore its all level really...

The new battery can only cope with the new upgrades....

So there's no much change in battery usage since iPhone 4S, this is why I said Apple was "trippin" about battery performance...

The new battery is just a parallel upgrade to the new A6 and bigger screen. That's all really....

14. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

Great battery life for me. I ain't charged since I got it Friday and I used it for 4 hours solid setting it up. I always set up as new. Every year we get these post and its always from using a back up

15. Jimrod thread starter macrumors 65816

Update: Well my screen looks lovely but it's not accurate, it IS yellow/green tinted and many times to me it looks "off" compared to my iPhone 4. As well as comparing (as I expect the 4 is slightly blue tinted) I took the measurements:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, when are Apple going to either give me the option to calibrate my colours without Jailbreaking? :)

16. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Mine still gets very warm when under a heavy load. I imagine it is WiFi/LTE related though as it is when I tether.

17. Jimrod, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012

Jimrod thread starter macrumors 65816

Mine only gets warm when charging but then I'm in "Ye Olde England" where our dumbass Ofcom won't let anyone play with 4G/LTE until they've let someone have a monopoly for a while and slipped them a wedge of cash in a brown envelope... ;)

18. ProMod macrumors 6502a

What week and at what factory was yours produced? Mine seems to have the same yellowish/greenish tint. Mine is a week 37, factory F2.

19. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

Also getting good battery life out of mine as well, same or better than the four, but not worse at all.

20. Jimrod thread starter macrumors 65816

Name: iPhone 5
    ModelCode: iphone_5
    Group1: iPhone
    Generation: 7
    Model introduced: 2012
    Production year: 2012
    Production week: 37 (September)
    Screen size: 4 inch
    Screen resolution: 1136x640 pixels
    Colour: Black
    Capacity: 32GB
    Factory: C3 (China)

Same week, I wonder if people who see the colours as "warmer" are getting the same thing or a variation. I've calibrated quite a few screens now so I'm used to what looks "right" rather than taking a company's word for it and I'd expect this is more a character of the new screens from one of the manufacturers than some random occurrence. It's not painfully bad, more like a toned down version of a lot of the OLED screens I've seen - definitely not as pleasant a balance as my iPhone 4 though. :(

21. ProMod macrumors 6502a

My wife's white iPhone 5 is a week 37 produced at factory C3 and it has a beautiful display, so we can't draw any good conclusions here.

22. Jimrod thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, it's an awkward one because many will say it's a glue issue but that sounds like the kind of thing that manufacturers say to placate you for a while by which point (a few weeks later) you're either used to it or it's too late to return.

I'm not sure if I'll try to return it or not - purchased through a carrier and not Apple direct so not sure how awkward they will be about a return for a slightly tinted screen...

23. ProMod macrumors 6502a

Yes it is. I'm still going to try an exchange, though. I'm having call quality issues as well as several chips in the bezel, so hopefully one of those things will get me a return.