iPhone 5 too have big black borders in pictures?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by paddylaz, Sep 18, 2012.

1. paddylaz macrumors newbie

Just wondering if anyone knew the specific aspect ratio of the CAMERA?

It occurs to me that if it's still 4:3, and the screen is 16:9, this is going to lead to ugly black borders round every photo instead of them filling the screen like on the 4s.

I know it's not a big deal but thought it would be worth bringing up in terms of selecting which colour you go for - I've always found (e.g. with ipad) that borders are less annoying/irritating with a black phone than with a white bezel.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

We will all find out on Friday (unless some reviewer specifies it in the review tomorrow night).

3. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Given the video camera doesn't do that, and you can take pics while filming now, I would highly doubt that there are black borders.

4. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

the images shot with my iPhone 4 actually have borders. they usually show zoomed in slightly. Top and Bottom on a vertical photo have black bars.

take a look on your current iPhone.

5. zhandri macrumors 6502

it's good that they have boarders because all pictures taken with normal cameras have a 2:3 ratio

6. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

The photos don't fill the full screen on the 4S either - they're just zoomed in when you're viewing them. Pinch to zoom out... you'll see there is a black bar on the top and bottom of the screen. The pictures are not the same aspect ratio as the screen.

7. paddylaz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick replies. Yeah I know the iphone 4s slightly zooms in, but I'm talking about big ever present borders.

the galaxy s3 and all those sorts of phones have big borders around photos in gallery - but they show video in full screen.

Only full screen example I can think of other than the iphones is the htc one x, which unfortunately crops the photo to fit the 16:9 ratio screen to present a more easy-on-the-eye browsing experience.

Again yeah, not a big deal but was just wondering-it's the sort of niggling thing that would spike my OCD and make me pick black over the (in my opinion) sexier looking white. But then I'm a bit sad :)

8. DArsenault macrumors regular

How would a screenshot taken on a iphone 4 look on an iphone 5?

9. chuges macrumors member

Pictures will probably be takein 4x3 leading to big borders or a large zoom when viewing, unfortunately. But it would be cool if they transitioned to 3x2 pics like the rest of the photo industry, which would also have a side effect of making the zoom or letterboxing when viewing less pronounced.

I feel like apple would have announced if they made a change like that, but there's always a small chance that it was a hidden upgrade..

10. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

wrong. there's a reason why the camera button is surrounded by a big black bar when you're taking photos, because the aspect ratio of the screen is different now, and there's nothing to show past the 4:3 ratio of photos.

I don't know this for sure, but assume that taking photos while shooting video must save the photos as 1080, and thus 16:9, not leading to any boarder issues.

11. paddylaz thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah just been confirmed in a review.

All photos will appear same size as on iphone 4s so borders at top and bottom. You can take full screen snaps in video mode but those are just screen captures and of lower quality to normal shots.