iPhone 5 unbearable YouTube speeds

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blacklabby, May 26, 2013.

1. Blacklabby macrumors newbie

This was never a problem for me before and suddenly became a big issue. Download is 15 mbp and upload is 11 mbp. On LTE youtube loads just fine unless the connection is bad but normally it's fine with even just 1-2 bars LTE. On wifi, videos take up to 30 seconds to open, 10 seconds before playing at all and load probably a second of video every three settings. This only became a problem recently, and I've tried turning data off while watching videos which is supposed to fix it and it does nothing. On the ipad youtube loads just fine if i put the ipad next to the phone and try loading a video on rach. The iphone takes FOREVER, and stutters and buffers, while the ipad loads fine without much buffer.

2. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Exact same issue here. I have no idea why :confused:

3. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

Call me paranoid, but I'd suggest Google has crippled iOS devices. I can think of no other reason why accessing google services is so painfully slow.

Scumbag a...holes.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Same. There are a couple threads about this too. Seems to be no fix. I've had this issue with precious iPhones as well.

----------

Yeah that's paranoia. They make money off of you watching YouTube videos on your iOS device. If you're not watching videos they can't make money off of you. Unlike Apple, they being in the buck regardless what OS you run. Different business models; no motive to lock iOS out. (They killed exchange potentially for a number of reasons, the top likely being the existence of a gmail app that they'd rather iOS users use).

5. hafr macrumors 68030

Totally unlike the way Apple has made iTunes run fast and smooth like cold tar on a flat surface on Windows? ;)

6. cynics macrumors G3

Scumbag a..holes? You have no idea what you are talking about.

YouTube is just slow on the server end. I have more consistent playback on iOS then I do on Android devices. The quality of the video can drop much lower in the iOS app vs Android so it requires less data and generally works better. You can turn off HD in the Android app that can help but that's a pita to do everytime.

7. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

agreed, Youtube itself is just slow/throttled... Even on a desktop PC, laptop or whatever else your on half the time things load very slow.

With Googles new VP9 video codec coming out soon we should see a HUGE decrease in load times and complete stopping of video.

8. Jimmy James macrumors 68030

That is one thing that dissuaded me from switching to a Mac. I thought if this is how they code software I don't want to be dependant on them for everything.

9. jaenicky macrumors member

I actually think its the iOS YouTube app. Try app like Playtube or other alternative and I don't get this issue.

10. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I'm not seeing this at all. I have a 4S running 6.1.2 that has 3G Unrestrictor running for YouTube. I am also using T-Mobile and using the official YouTube app.

Searched for a music video and the video began playing almost instantly.

Played the same video on a Nexus 4 using T-Mobile and the video began playing almost instantly as well.

11. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

I just tested on my home wifi on an iPhone 4S and 5--iPad mini and iPad 4. All four load instantly, no burps, hiccups or unusual slow downs. My ISP is 22down/2up. LTE in my local area is about 30/25---same result. No issues. Is there a possibility your local ISP is throttling YouTube bandwidth?

J

12. Blacklabby thread starter macrumors newbie

I think the problem is just for the 5, from what i've seen.

13. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Yep, I use mctube which works much better than the ios youtube app.

Thats on an iPhone 5 btw.

14. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

No issues for me, I'm on T-Mobile 4G and TWC Internet 15 Mbs down average

15. codyst macrumors regular

codyst

I have 30/10 cable internet at home and while using WiFi on my iPhone, YouTube is virtually unwatchable. But if I disable WiFi and use LTE the video loads instantly.

wtf..

16. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Sounds like some of you are being throttled either through your phones ISP or your homes ISP.

17. codyst macrumors regular

codyst

I'm thinking Time Warner is screwing me.. It's all that is available at my house until Google Fiber next year.

18. hexonxonx macrumors 601

It's certainly not an unheard of tactic that ISPs are doing these days.

I have Century Link which used to be Qwest for my DSL. I get about 13Mbps downloads through them. certainly not the fastest but there have never been any download caps in 15 years that I have been with them. I can download day and night without being throttled.

T-Mobile is doing a fine job as well for me on my two phones.

19. codyst macrumors regular

codyst

YouTube is the only issue I ever have with Time Warner so idk..

20. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Remember what they were doing with Netflix a year or two ago?

21. hafr macrumors 68030

Well, iTunes on OS X is lightning fast...

22. codyst macrumors regular

codyst

I don't. What was it? Same thing as now I'm assuming?

23. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Yeah they were blocking streaming traffic to one of the boxes, wasn't Apple TV but one of the other boxes. I can't remember which one.

24. codyst macrumors regular

codyst

I used to stream from my Xbox 360. I don't remember ever having an issue.

25. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Obviously it wasn't that one.