iPhone 5 unlocked available at the Apple Store in the US?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iDutchman, Sep 13, 2012.

1. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

People,

I'm going to the US for a few weeks and I want to know if the iPhone 5 is unlocked available if you buy it separately at the Apple Store. No contracts whatsoever.

Thanks in advance.

2. MattDell macrumors 6502

MattDell

Yeah, it's difficult to find the US price for unlocked. In the UK it's £529.

3. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Most likely a month after the release is when Apple will start selling unlocked iphone. Apple has been doing this with the 4S, so I assume they would do the same for the iPhone 5.

4. OSMac, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

OSMac macrumors 65816

If your near Canada when you visit unlocked versions will be selling from day one at the Apple Store, getting one in stock will be difficult for a couple months.

5. KPOM macrumors G5

If it's like last year, you can go to an Apple Store and purchase a full priced AT&T version, and it will be unlocked, even though the receipt may say otherwise. Just tell the sales person you want to buy the AT&T version at full price without a contract. That's what I did last year a few weeks before the "official unlocked" version went on sale. Technically you may be able to do that at an AT&T store, as well, but the phones there will be locked and you'll need to request that AT&T unlock them here, which can take a few days.

6. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

$649 for the 16GB
    $749 32GB
    $849 64GB

7. iDutchman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the input so far.

It might be a bit tricky then. I will be in the Miami area, so unfortunately not close to Canada to get one of those unlocked ones.

I will see if I be able to get my hands on an unlocked phone at the Apple Store. I don't feel like buying an AT&T version, because I just want to have absolute 100% confidence that the iPhone is unlocked.

I guess it's a matter of just wait and see when I get there. ;)

8. airtony macrumors newbie

iDutchman, Did you get the 5 in Miami? I'm going to be there for one day, from 31st of October to 1st of November. Wondering to buy off-contract spec and truly interested in iPAd mini, but have no idea how to deal with official sale date. By the way, I'll be in Amsterdam on 8th of November.

9. iDutchman thread starter macrumors 6502a

I ended up buying it unlocked in Europe, so no. The iPhone is unlocked in all of of Europe (NL, UK, GERMANY, SPAIN, FRANCE, ITALY). If you try to buy one in Amsterdam, go to the Apple Store on Leidseplein. That's the only real place you can easily (mind you, when not sold out) buy one.

Enjoy Amsterdam. You'll love it.