iphone 5 unlocked

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pawelinho71, Sep 4, 2012.

1. pawelinho71 macrumors newbie

Hi, Many speculations say that the new iphone will be availible to buy preorderd on the 12. But will the unlocked versions also be availible then?
    how was it with the iphone 4 and 4s?

thanks!:apple:

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They usually dont sell the factory unlocked versions till months later.
    They want to get people locked into contracts first and get the carriers money.
    Hope this changes this year though. Last year you could buy a full price AT&T iphone and most turned out unlocked but it was a risk of paying full price and still getting a locked AT&T phone in return.

3. moosquared macrumors regular

moosquared

Yep.. Just wait a month or two for the factory unlocked. I did for my 4S (brutal though.. had to use a Blackberry in the mean time).

However, some people got the factory unlocked iPhone when they buy at full price. Some didn't... So it's better to wait for the official release.

4. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

Months? The 4S was available unlocked on release day (Oct 14) in Canada and Nov 11 (less than a month) in the US.

5. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Interesting !

Seems its easier in the Uk to purchase a new unlocked iPhone, than it is in the states.

6. Applejuiced, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I was talking about the US.
    I know in Canada and other countries its a given you can get them unlocked right away.
    In the US you could order it online from Apples site factory unlocked at Nov 11 and it was backordered and took weeks to even ship out. It wasnt available at Apple store locations till months after release. Some Apple stores had it available but way later than the website release date.

7. moosquared macrumors regular

moosquared

Yep.. US only started selling the factory unlocked version with the 4S, I think.
    I had to get my friend in Canada to buy me an unlocked version.

8. ARSC macrumors 6502

Using a blackberry as a spare phone till the new one comes out but i want the unlocked one might order it from London.

9. pawelinho71 thread starter macrumors newbie

so your saying its possible to get a full priced at&t version on release date? I meen on preorder it next wednsday?

Oh and what do u think about the pricing will it change or will apple continue 629$ ,729$ ,829$

10. bogatyr macrumors 65816

If you pay full price, it should be unlocked. The pricing was 650/750/850 though - there may be discounts right now due to the upcoming iPhone 5.

11. cperchard macrumors 6502a

In UK we can buy it from apple store unlocked on launch day!

12. pawelinho71 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah thats true about the prices, so how do you think when will the full priced versions be availible

13. madsci954 macrumors 68030

More than likely, but I have no clue if it will be factory unlocked or not. It may still be carrier locked to ATT.

14. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

yup 32gb unlocked in the UK is what im buying on pre order!

15. pawelinho71 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok what if i want ot use it overseas, and ill take the sim lock off myself. I loose the warranty right? im pretty much sure about it, but id like to be wrong :D