iPhone 5 users and their new headphones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by taedouni, Oct 13, 2012.

1. taedouni macrumors 65816

So I got my iPhone 5 on launch day and I notice that I barely use the headphones that came with my new iPhone when I am at home. I tend to keep them in the traveler's case so they are pretty much in brand new condition. I only use it a few times when i'm out of the house.

I was wondering if anyone else was being extra "careful" with their new headphones.

2. utl768 macrumors 6502

there quality headphones considering that they come with the device

i still use my bose mainly but the new apple ones are perfectly adequate especially compared to the old crappy ones they used for YEARS

3. calvy macrumors 65816

I'm so careful with mine I haven't even removed them from the box. They are still in the wrapper. I never even tried them on. I've got a Bose set I prefer to use, and a bluetooth stereo headset I use when running.

4. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

Like all other iPhone headphones I have ever had, my new headphones never got taken out of the box. I use V Moda Vibe Duos which I been using since my iPhone 4. I never liked the quality of Apple headphones and these are no different.

5. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

They might be tougher than you think. I was chilling on the sofa when I heard a yelp, it was my wife discovering that her new headphones from her iPhone 5 were in her shirt pocket as she took it out of the drier which meant it went through the washer too. She sighed a bit, cause she really liked them and were only a week old. Then she tried them and they worked perfectly, though I have not verified the sound quality, she seems happy with them, no complaints.

6. aaagat111 macrumors regular

aaagat111

they are $30 headphones. regardless of their quality, to me these are always the headphones I throw around, compared to my shure earbuds.

Considering you just bought an $700 device, that will cost you $2000 in bills over 2 years, I don't see any reason to be extra careful with them....

7. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I've got V-Modas, as well as several other sets that I've tried the past few years.... They're better than the old ones, but they aren't great quality, so they're catching dust and I'm back to my V-Modas!

8. kannesss macrumors 6502a

I loved them. I broke them a week after I got them. Was walking, the extra cord got caught, pulled the cord out of the top of my phone, but it bent the end 90 degrees.
    Pretty horrible.

9. darster Suspended

10. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

My preference is Monster Turbines.

The set that came with my iphone 5 will stay sealed in the box as back-ups.

11. AJAAY macrumors regular

I got my iPhone on launch date. I JUST NOW opened the EarPods.

Don't see a big difference in sound quality from the previous headphones.

I put them back in the case only because I already have a couple previous headphones laying around, and I didn't want to add to the clutter.

12. nw9 macrumors regular

I also noticed the irony. :)

Taedouni, if you like the new earbuds, then why not use them as much as you want? Do you not use your new iPhone everyday even though it cost a lot more? I can understand being extra careful if the earbuds cost as much as the iPhone, but they don't. These devices are made so they can be used. What's the point in having them if you don't use them?

13. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I'm not really careful with mine at all, at least not compared to the other earbuds I have. The sound quality is Ok I suppose. For some reason, the right earpod fits better in my ear than the left one. The fit of them isn't the best for my ears. I also feel that the sound volume isn't very high, and I noticed this when I was watching videos on Hulu or Netflix and had the volume on my computer turned all the way up (turned up on the player as well), and I was still wishing it was a little bit louder.

I clicker on the earpods to change volume and skip songs is improved from the previous earphones, but I still trouble with it sometimes. For instance, sometimes I'll click the button twice to skip a song, but it will only register as one click and pause my music. This leads me to get confused as to whether the song I skipped to is set at a really low volume or if perhaps I paused the current song on accident, so then that leads me to have to take out my phone from my pocket and defeats the purpose of the remote.

14. Coastercraze macrumors newbie

I used them once just to see how they were and they were decent with sound quality and such, though, I'm not fond of ear buds and rather would wear my pair of JVC headphones. Noise cancellation helps ^_^

15. Bishwasher macrumors regular

Yeah, i noticed that too...talk about confusing!

16. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I opened them once to try them out for a while, realized that, while they were better, they still hurt my ears (I have really small ears), put them back in the case in the box for when I sell the phone, and went back to the Apple in-ear headphones that I've been using for years.

So I guess you could say they're being well taken care of, since they'll be in fabulous shape for the next owner. :p

17. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

They are great EarPods. The sound is fantastic, lots of people say they are mediocre... not sure what's wrong with their ears because I hear great sound.

I'm not careful with mine, ONLY because they are $29. If they were $99+ I'd care for them as if they were my child. :rolleyes:

18. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Wow. Not sure what's wrong with your ears.

19. Mr.C macrumors 601

Bundled headphones are typically of poor quality regardless of the device. As for iPhones I have never used the included headphones, partly because they are of poor quality and partly because in ear headphones hurt my ears. Mine are still as new never taken out of the box to seek along with the phone when I upgrade. I use B&W P5 over the ear headphones along with a Sony Ericson MW600 Bluetooth adapter.

20. ANMA dojo macrumors regular

I thought my original earbuds were the $h!t, until I got nice aftermarket earphones. leave him be. ignorance is bliss (and saves $$$).

21. motty2307 macrumors regular

I use mine almost every day at work, mostly because the Klipsch ear buds I have are noise canceling and I can't hear anything other than music when I have them in.

To me the new headphones are much better than the ones supplied with the previous iPhones. Quality, build, comfort and most importantly sound quality. I think the sound quality is a ton better but that may be because the previous ones didn't really fit my ears.

22. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I'll admit that they aren't high end phones by any stretch, although much better than the old ones, but "volume isn't very high"? I can turn mine up to ear damaging levels. You may want to go get your hearing checked.:D

23. tucker3434 macrumors regular

Nah. Used them once to see if try we're better than the old ones. They are. Still not better than my Bose or klipsch. They went in a drawer where they will spen the rest of their lives.

24. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

I use mine pretty frequently, I use them working out so I can use siri and answer phone calls

25. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

So you haven't taken them out of the box and yet you know they are no different than the previous version? Can't tell if lazy or stubborn.