iPhone 5 using itself while I sleep?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GP20, Oct 3, 2012.

1. GP20 macrumors member

The last couple days I've been monitoring my battery usage. 2 nights ago, I fully charged my iPhone and played with it a little before going to sleep with the phone showing "30 minutes of use-time and 30 minutes of stand by". When I woke up in the morning, the usage time was at about 1.5 hours. I was certain that I had closed all the back-ground apps. No app was open.

Same thing happened this morning. Last night after I fully charged the battery, I turned it off altogether and turned it back on, double-checked no app was running in the background, and didn't use it for another minute. I checked the phone as soon as I woke up, the stand-by time was around 7 hours and the use-time was 1 full hour. My iCloud auto-backup was turned off by the way.

:confused::confused::confused:

2. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

Using itself, huh? What a dirty, dirty iPhone. It should be spanked.

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Does sound kind of funny. Especially after teasing it (er, playing with it) a little before putting it down.

My thought is that it's doing iCloud backups or iTunes wifi syncs overnight and for some reason they are running very slowly. Check your wifi speeds and/or your computer with which it's syncing.

4. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

how else do you think all of your location and usage data makes its way into the hands of apple and any other company or agency that pays apple for it????

5. wepiii macrumors 6502

My guess would be things that still run in the background even when closed. Mail, always runs, even if you close it... So if you are on a fetch schedule, it could be counting that... Also, I have heard some people talking about a bug in ios6 where icloud is still taking backups, even when the phone is not plugged in, even when icloud back up is toggled off... so check the time of your last icloud backup just to double check.... I will test tonight and see what kind/if any usage I see during the night.

6. GP20 thread starter macrumors member

Another couple of info I should add, I turned off BT, and disabled sending "diagnostics & usage " to Apple.

I mean, the battery life itself has been great. Only 3% of usage after 7 hours of stand-by and that 1 hour of mysterious usage time.

Is this happening to anyone else?

Edit: Push is turned off for my emails, too.

7. wepiii macrumors 6502

What is your fetch schedule set to? Occasionally my IMAP email provider will be down, and my phone won't stop "fetching" until it gets through... That could have happened as well... I would test again tonight and see if it is a contestant thing that is happening.

8. GP20 thread starter macrumors member