iPhone 5 vibrate buzz sound

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kellte2, Sep 21, 2012.

1. kellte2, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012

kellte2 macrumors regular

As I was setting my ringtones and other sound settings, I noticed that the vibrate buzzes so hard that it makes a sound that occasionally distorts the ringtone as the vibrate motor begins to move - almost sounds as if the speakers start out with a crackle as if blown out. Anyone else notice this happening when testing ringtones?

Alternatively, it could be vibrating the camera lens...Either way, the speakers sound clear when not vibrating, so at least they're not blown out.:confused:

--------------

Edit: seems like this was a pretty well reported problem with the 3GS and it just so happens that Apple changed the vibration system back to the 3GS system from what was found in the 4S (from iFixit: Unlike the iPhone 4S, which used a linear-oscillating vibrator, Apple has gone back to a rotational motor with a counterweight.)

2. krick macrumors regular

Yes, but I actually also hear the distortion from the speaker when playing certain kinds of music. The speaker, for lack of a better descriptive, seems to "tizz".

3. essential macrumors regular

Some of us are experiencing a loose camera lens (I originally thought it was a loose power button, but when holding the power button it still happens, and I read it was the lens in another thread).

When I shake my phone I can hear the rattle as well, something is loose inside and when it vibrates often time you can hear that rattle/buzz. Very annoying but otherwise no issues.

4. kellte2 thread starter macrumors regular

For me, the noise comes from the vibrate motor starting and mostly from stopping. Pretty noisy thing they put in there, but I'll get used to it.

5. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

Apparently they went back to the old way.
    It was much improved and better on the iPhone 4S.
    It used a different method.

The iPhone 5 uses the same vibration method/hardware as the 4.

6. NavyDude065 macrumors member

Lens Cover

It's the crystal camera lens cover. I placed my finger on the crystal cover and no more rattle. It's part of the design.