iPhone 5 vibrator change

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by apb89, Sep 21, 2012.

1. apb89 macrumors regular

According to the ifixit teardown, the iPhone 5's vibrator has switched back to the same one the iPhone 4 used (apparently the 4s used a newer, more quiet type).

Anyone with their new 5 able to give any input on the vibrations they have heard/felt so far? Any noticeable changes in sound/function?

Look forward to hearing from you!

2. geauxmac macrumors newbie

I compared it to my iPhone 4 and it seemed nearly the same, perhaps a little quieter than the 4.

3. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

Can't tell a difference.

4. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

This was one of my first observations on the phone- the vibrate is definitely more noticeable. I bet what they did was when the 4 was released, they decided it was too powerful and that's why they switched the 4S more subtle vibrate. Now that the phone takes up more space, the powerful motor is probably more suitable, once again.

5. sam.walker22 macrumors member

sam.walker22

I remember when I got my 4S and noticed the vibration sound seemed much cleaner and much more solid, in the 5 it's gone back to how it used to be and sounds more like its rattling against some of the internal parts

6. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

I agree with you in that the 4S did give a much more concise, clean feeling, but in my 5 I'm not noticing what I noticed in the 4 (rattling, etc.) It sounds different than the 4S did, but it still sounds clean and concise.

7. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

What kind of vibrations are you looking for. Strong, slow or pulsing :D haha

8. ryan42 macrumors 6502

ryan42

I'm a bit bothered by the change. One of the things I enjoyed about the 4S was that when it vibrated in my pocket others around me couldn't hear it. The 5's rotational motor is (like the 4, 3GS, etc...) clearly audible.

9. Bigyella macrumors member

I myself wished it was stronger. I work in a loud environment, and can never hear or feel my phone.

10. schizbomb macrumors 6502

The vibration is much more violent than my 4S

that's all I know

11. bobright macrumors 601

only on Macrumors fussing about the sound of the vibrate LOL

12. madmonkeys macrumors member

Coming from a 4 the vibration is much better however from using my friends 4s it isn't as subtle. Somewhere between the 4 and 4s either way I am happy with it

13. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

I noticed it vibrates when turned on...Then I disabled it completely :)

14. BluePhoenixRa macrumors regular

For me, I immediately noticed the difference between the vibrations of the iPhone 4, 4S and 5. You can most certainly feel better vibrations on the 5. Much better and improved IMO.

15. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Haha, there's been worse... :D