iPhone 5 video looks like crap when uploaded to FB

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Matt8045, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Matt8045 macrumors regular

Had same issue with previous iPhone. Is it impossible for a video to get uploaded to FB and come out with the same quality that I have on my phone? Seems like so much quality gets lost with compression on the upload, what's the point of a high quality camera if all quality is lost when you want to share the video?!

2. james92se macrumors 6502a

Me thinks you're blaming the phone when you should be blaming Facebook.

Anyway, I don't upload videos to Facebook but it's probably one of those deals where if you're not on wifi it compresses it. I think YouTube does the same thing

3. Matt8045 thread starter macrumors regular

Ah. Will try shortly when I'm on wifi hopefully I get different results. I'm not blaming the phone it just seems redundant to build in a top knotch camera if quality is gonna be lost on FB/YouTube uploads, but it could be cause I'm on lte at the moment.

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I've noticed this before with other devices that upload directly to Facebook. You might be better off uploading to Youtube then posting that to Facebook.

5. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

You should really google compression rates, you might learn something new.

6. WinstonFl macrumors newbie

I noticed in the Facebook settings in the Settings menu there was an option for "Record HD Video" that was defaulted to off. Could this help any? Haven't tried it myself yet.

7. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

There's an option in Settings > Facebook to upload HD quality. Choose "on".

BJ

8. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

uploading from the phone, no matter if you are on LTE 4g 2g wifi whatever, it is going to compress it going to facebook. nothing to do about the phone or camera , just the facebook app. you can upload to youtube using HD , there is an option when you go to share the video.

9. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

In addition, while watchin over facebook, make sure the facebook video player has "HD" set to on. Even after setting once, you will have to set it again after some time, it keeps going back to off

10. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

it's "record HD" doesn't change the upload or compression of the video once it's already recorded, haven't tested recording video directly in the app because i doubt anyone uses facebook to record video.

11. Matt8045 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm uploading videos from my library not directly off the FB app. I'm going to try uploading to YouTube then sharing onto FB.

12. ScKcBc macrumors regular

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I upload to YouTube or Vimeo first then share on Facebook. The quality is always better that way.

14. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I always have taken the video then uploaded to Facebook and the quality is HD

15. Matt8045 thread starter macrumors regular

I uploaded to YouTube, quality looks terrible, BUT I'm uploading on lte my wifi is down. I'll upload again later when it's up and keep my fingers crossed for quality that resembles how it looks on my phone.

http://youtu.be/_PR5nB1yg14

16. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

You're doing something wrong, the max resolution on that youtube link is 480p.

17. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

are you checking the option for HD when uploading it to youtube?