iPhone 5 vs. 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BuckeyeMac, Oct 11, 2012.

1. BuckeyeMac macrumors 6502

So I had an iPhone 5 on release day, but I had horrible issues with the signal to the point that made it unusable, rattling issues, and some minor scuffing.

After seeing all of the issues with bending/scratching/and the vulnerability of the thin aluminum and lightness of the phone, I'm instead thinking of purchasing a 4S 16gb for $100.

I am coming from a 3GS so anything is an upgrade. I use my phone for everything and this is what kind of worries me with the more fragile 5. Looking for some advice.

Thanks

2. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

As a proud owner of the iPhone 5 I say go for it. $100 is a steal.

3. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

get a 5 with a case? lol

4. cardinalryan macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

Here's the deal...if you want a 4s, get one, but people need to stop making threads that pit the 4s vs the 5.

There is no comparison...the 5 is significantly better. If you want to convince yourself otherwise, then have at it, but at the end of the day you are only fooling yourself.

Peace.

5. cababah macrumors 68000

OP, spend enough time on the forums of any product and you won't want to touch it with a 10ft pole. If you were reading these forums a year ago when the 4S came out, I bet you wouldn't want to buy that either.

Case and point - Forums = people complaining about problems.

I have had an iPhone 3G/3GS/4S and now a 5 and hands down the 5 is the best one IMO. I have no problems with it scuffing and it came flawless out of the box and I have since put it in a case. Best phone I have ever had. Take that for what it is.

I would be kicking myself for spending any kind of money on a phone (4S) that is already outdated. When it comes for me putting my money in any sort of electronics, I always want to pay up for the latest and greatest. Again, this is just my opinion and the main driving force for me upgrading to get the iPhone 5 was the capability of LTE. I would kick myself every day if I got a 4S right now instead of the 5.

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

IMHO the 4 and 4S cannot compare to the 5. I can't know your wants and needs, but going back to a 4/4S would be "unrewarding".

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

5 is superior to 4s in almost every way. Processor, graphics, ram, screen size, screen durability (gorilla glass 2), screen performance, wifi radio, cellular radio, battery life, thickness, weight, rear camera, front camera.

This is one of the biggest updates to the iPhone (second after 3GS to 4, I'd say), and it would be nuts to buy any iPhone new on a two year plan other than a 5.

8. apb89 macrumors regular

iPhone 5 is the greatest phone I have ever owned. With unlimited data here on Verizon it is the best. I have never had to wait at all with this phone. Literally no lag or waiting for videos/pages/apps/etc to load.

Best phone ever made

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The 4S is a fine phone. Buy it if you don't want the 5.

10. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

The fact that just about every new feature in iOS6 works on the 4S makes it still a viable option...it's not an iPhone 5 as far as the upgraded hardware specs, but it can do just about anything the iPhone 5 can do albeit, a bit slower...

I've upgraded from a 4S to a 5 (I'll ALLEGEDLY receive my iP5 on Monday) because I want the upgraded hardware and larger display but if forced to keep my 4S, I'd have been fine to do so...the 4S is an excellent smart phone.

11. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

true but you have to think ahead to future OS updates. 4G LTE is almost worth the update alone. I can't see why people would hate the 5. 4g, faster processor, more ram, redesigned headphones, centered camera, less mass, less breakable, eh people just love to hate what they can't have I guess.

12. GoodBoy, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012

GoodBoy macrumors 6502

iPhone 5 isn't revolutionary. There's no "a must" to upgrade. Everything you do on iPhone 5 you will do on iPhone 4S. And it's still very fast. I really see no reason people upgrading from 4S other than "I have to own an iPhone 5 because it's the newest one". It's better sure thing, but not that much better to abandon 4S. I'll wait for iPhone 5S/6 - it's going to be a well deserved and really incremental upgrade from 4S. For now there's no need to. Besides you're gonna have to wait several months till developers adjust all the apps to the new dimensions of 4" screen and utilize iPhone 5's powerhouse. From then a few months till the next iPhone comes out... and I'm sure it's going to incorporate much studier case less prone to scuffs and scratches. For now 4S aluminium body remains unbeatable and the most durable of them all, not to mention the best looking in my opinion.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

its better, sure

significantly better? not so much

14. lookn4wifi macrumors regular

lookn4wifi

I upgraded from an iPhone 3GS to a 4S last month. It was a significant upgrade and I was really impressed with it. About 9 days later I followed the iP5 Keynote and returned the 4S the next day, restoring my upgrade eligibility.

Went back on the 3GS for long 8 days (really missed my brand new 4S). I've been on the 5 since launch. I wouldn't go back now. Why? LTE.

15. cababah macrumors 68000

This.

As a heavy data user, LTE sealed the deal for me and there is no turning back to anything pre-iPhone 5 now. :)

Granted, I live in an area with good LTE coverage.

16. GoodBoy macrumors 6502

This argument is getting really funny on these boards. You do realize that 4S is 5mbits/s? That kind of speed is enough and even too much for everything on a smartphone. Would you please explain to me to what you gonna need 40mbits/s? Web browsing, appstore or maybe you'll be downloading 10gb files to the iPhone 5? Because I really see no reason for LTE other than serving as a hot spot for computer. Not to mention achieving maximum LTE speeds is very rare and in only some places. In most cases it's not very speedier than 4S.

17. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Take it to the Genius Bar and have them swap it. Buy a case.

Sounds like you got a lemon and you'll want a case to prevent scratches. The glass breaks very easily on BOTH sides of the 4s so you'll need a case with either phone.

18. wpalomine macrumors member

I bought 2 iPhone 5 on launch day. This is one sleek phone.

The iPhone 4S is yet another fine phone with accessories abound. Not so with the iPhone 5. For my use, I don't mind if I stayed with the 4s. The only change, after using the 5, I would go naked, ceaseless 4S.

LTE and tech specs not as important to me as the size and weight.

19. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

This.

Every piece of hardware in the device has been updated, if you have something defective contact apple to get a replacement.

20. cababah macrumors 68000

Where do you get this 5Mbps claim for the 4S? That is dependent on your coverage really. I was averaging between 2-3Mbps on 3G with the 4S and average about 20Mbps now on LTE. That is huge.

Your claim is ENTIRELY based upon your location and lack of good LTE coverage. Even my 1-2 bars coverage with LTE will give me ~ 15Mbps download speeds.

Why do some people have 30Mbps internet speeds vs. some that "get the job done" with 6Mbps? Why do some people have fast cars with 400-500hp when you can "get by" with 120hp? Data speed is like horsepower, faster is always better even though you can get by with less. This is not the era of "getting by" things are advancing and developing faster than ever so there is nothing wrong with wanting network speeds that are as fast as it gets.

You can never have a data speed that is too fast, or a car that makes too much power, or a tv that is too large, or boobs that are too big :cool:

21. itjw macrumors 65816

This.

Look, the 4S was a fine phone, but saying there isn't a "must" upgrade is equivalent to saying the 3GS to 4 had the same problem (after all, they both had screens, could make calls, iOS, etc...). Who cared about a materials change, screen changes, speed changes? All just evolutionary right?

LOL

The 5 literally kicks the crap out of the 4S. Even if you are one of the OCD "my phone had a nick you can sort of see if you hold it sideways and look really hard" crowd, it still isn't really debateable. Apple improved the iPhone in almost every conceivable way, but there will ALWAYS be folks who want it to shoot lasers, print money, or display holograms... It's silly, but some people are just never satisfied no matter how good something is.

Pure domination. Not even close. Get a 5

22. GoodBoy macrumors 6502

In Poland Warsaw

[​IMG]

"Faster is always better" claim is only appropriate when talking about home internet lan configurations since people are doing a lot more and a much more heavy internet usage on personal computers than smartphones. 3G network is already enough for everything you can do on a smarptphone and 90% of data speed are internet browsing, appstore, and itunes. You really do not need 40mbits/s to browse internet or buy apps from appstore. The only huge deal about LTE is the hot spot possibility to provide fast internet on the go to your computer. And as you said speeds vary depending on locations. I've seen iPhone 5s LTE speedtest results even worse than some good iPhone 4S 3G like mine. Given that said, LTE is not that huge deal, it's not widespread yet, it's not really neccesary, thus it is not a dealbreaker like some of you guys making it. It's a nice feature, but it's not like you're gonna actually feel significant improvement on a daily basis of use. iPhone 4S was already blazingly fast not lagging at all regarding most common internet use on iPhone that are appstore, internet browsing and itunes.

23. johna1234 macrumors member

Agreed 100%. The two phones are night and day differences. I've had the 4,4s and now the 5. 5 is far more advanced than the others. But , to each his own

24. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I had the 4s. The 5 is much better than the 4s, no doubt about it!. Much faster, bigger and better screen, better speaker and microphones and so on. Compare them side by side and the differences are very obvious. If yours had issues exchange it!. I bought 3 on launch day and one had issues with the wifi and speaker. I exchanged it and now it's perfect!. There is really no reason to get a 4s as that would be a downgrade. You are talking about an item that is the most used out of anything you own so saving $100 on something this important is not smart.

25. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Does anyone ever spend time doing real research instead of just relying on posts in a place where people are most likely to go and complain? I've already ordered my iPhone, but I've been checking out REAL reviewers still. I mean I learn stuff here too, but you have to recognize that an Internet forum is not a good barometer of user experiences as a whole, because it's skewed toward the few who did have problems, and the even smaller group who just want to bitch about products they may not even own.