iPhone 5 vs Androud 4G LTE devices and battery life recommendations to Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nizmoz, Dec 16, 2011.

1. nizmoz macrumors 65816

We all know the Android devices have terrible battery life especially the LTE models. I had one so I come from experience of 3 weeks with it before taking it back.

Now thinking over, this is what I would recommend Apple do to solve the battery life issue before their device comes out. The Android devices had no way to DISABLE 4G LTE. It stayed on at all times (AT&T) at least did.

If Apple would have their phone when asleep turn off LTE and only use 3G or even Edge for any data that is on idle, this would drastically save the battery life on the phone. There is no need for fast internet when you are not using your phone. Edge is good enough to get any emails that you may need when idle. When you wake the phone up, it flips over to 4G LTE.

When my phone used 4G LTE it used it all the time even when asleep. The battery was draining 10% an hour idle.

What do you guys think on my thoughts.

2. Spectrum Abuser, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011

Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

The radio has absolutely little to do with your battery performance while stationary&idle. A cellular radio will only use real energy when it needs to transmit data or connect to a new cell tower(mobile). The problem is that the first generation of LTE chips were not optimized for battery consumption. Apple, from a manufacture standpoint, was smart with waiting out the initial LTE wave due to that fact.

3. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

That is not true. As people on Android phones have proven that at Idle 4g LTE on phones that you can actually turn it off get 50%+ more battery life than with it on. 4g LTE uses a lot of power on these phones. And yes it is not optimized but still 4g LTE is running in the background to pull your emails, etc.

4. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

And I said.. While idle the radio is not in use. Only when it needs to TRANSMIT DATA or connect to a new cellphone tower. It all depends on how much push activity you have going. And I have read about the battery life and people DO RECOMMEND SHUTTING OFF THE RADIO while you are traveling or outside of an LTE signal due to the radio constantly searching. But while STATIONARY and idle the actual radio is hardly draining anything.

5. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

Well sorry to say you are wrong. The 4G LTE radio is in use when idle. It may not be transmitting DATA all the time, but it is IN USE.

6. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Have you read my posts all the way through?
    #Facepalm

7. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

Dude, seriously you haven't even read the post. You obviously don't know what you are talking about as all these tests have already been done by xda forums on the Android phones. Stop replying to my post.

8. mattraehl macrumors 6502

Good idea. No reason to use 4G for mail, push notifications, etc while the phone is in standby.

9. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

10. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Ok, you have me quite confused with some of your posts in this thread.
    In your first post you state
    Ok fine, its on all the time. It cannot be turned off. But then you go into your next post and state:

Where did I miss a turn?

11. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

android phones blow, iPhone will not have the battery problems that the android suck phones have.

:apple:

12. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

13. kalex macrumors 65816

LMAO another well deserved Facepalm post

14. nizmoz thread starter macrumors 65816

You missed the part where I said AT&T devices. Other models you can actually turn it off. Just not for AT&T. Now if you want to get technical, there is a hack you can do to force it on the 3G network only but requires some code to be put in.