iPhone 5 vs iPhone 42 WiFi Speed Tests

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tomasmekean, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Tomasmekean macrumors member

I have a Time Capsule and I have a/b/g/n enabled. I just purchased an iPhone 5 and my wife has the iPhone 4S. I noticed that my speeds in wifi seemed slow. I decided to run some speed test using speedtest.net app. The results have all been the same. The iPhone 4S gets 7.0-8.5 MBS down on my 10MB connection while the iPhone 5 only gets 1.0-2.0MBS. I have tried several different servers and the results are still the same. I verified that both of the phones are connected the same way. Anyone else have the same issue?

2. KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

I have noticed the same issue on my wifi network, but I did not have the issue on a friend's wifi network (where the iPhone 5 was faster). The issue may be specific to certain routers and/or router settings. I intend to perform more testing tomorrow.

3. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Make sure both devices are using the same server in the SpeedTest.net app. Mine were different at first and they had drastically different results. After I selected the same servers, they were still different but much closer.

BTW, I tested my iPhone 5 against a new iPad. I am too lazy to go check on my wife's iPhone 4... Maybe in the morning. :)

4. ap105 macrumors regular

Same issue too. On 4S wifi speeds 10mbps and now on 5 at 4-5mbps. Also have TWC Internet and tenda router.

5. Tomasmekean thread starter macrumors member

I made sure I was using the same servers and then tried several different servers and the results are the same. I also tried my iPad2 with iOS6 and it had the same results as my wife's iPhone 4S with iOS5. I will try other networks tomorrow.

6. protobiont macrumors 6502a

7. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

4s is 17mb. Ip5 is 8.

Noticed this too, both on a time capsule 2.4ghz band.

8. Tomasmekean thread starter macrumors member

Yes I noticed right away that I have iPhone 42 in the title instead of iPhone 4S. I am sure you will find a lot more wrong with my post then that. Have fun, but still interested in solving the issue with the WiFi.

9. JDBaughman macrumors newbie

You have to open your NAT settings for it. Go to your port forwarding tab in your router and type in your phones IP address. That should fix ur problem.

10. JDBaughman macrumors newbie

Mostly just a theory as I do not own a 5... Yet

11. jeblis macrumors regular

(42-5) * 2 = 74 years...yeah I'll be dead by then.

12. Tomasmekean thread starter macrumors member

Yes then it will not be an issue, except this is the Jesus phone correct?