iPhone 5 Walk-in-Odds

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ViPhone, Sep 16, 2012.

1. ViPhone macrumors 6502

I usually pre-order, but didn't this time around. I'm planning on going into the larger Boston retail store on the 28th or 29th of September.

Anyone have any idea on the odds of grabbing a 16GB Black 5?

Don't want to make the trip if it's completely unrealistic.

2. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

It's not impossible. But I would call the store and check the stock first.

3. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

Are you going to an Apple Store an at AT&T Store?

I waited outside for the 4S at one of the local AT&T Stores last year, and got there about two hours before they opened. There was absolutely no problem getting one. Of course, the earlier you get there, the better chance you have of getting one.

4. Ervin macrumors newbie

Same here. I missed out on pre-ordering and getting it shipped on launch day, so i've decided to go to either the AT&T store or the Apple store. I'm just afraid that the AT&T stores wont have as much stock as the Apple store.
    The problem is that usually the cellular stores do get a smaller stock, and no one there seems to know (or just don't want to say)how many units they'll carry. The Apple store is going to be hectic. It's a tough call indeed.

5. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Although the first preorder wave sold out first. I just don't think this phone will cause the frenzy it did with the 4. So I think you should be fine ;)

6. richpuer macrumors 6502

Calling the store on launch days is impossible too. iPad 3 launch day I was put on hold for 30 mins calling 3 different stores. Wasted almost 2 hrs on hold till I said screw it and drove down to one, strolled In and came out with one in 10 mins. Hope iph4 is like this

7. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

In the Uk only 2-3 people were being let into my local 02 network at a time to get the iphone 4s, and this was for customers wanting a new contract or upgrading.

Pay as you go customers had to wait over four months before being able to buy one, and the only other route was through an apple store{i don't have a local one}, or take a chance through flea bay.

This time around the iphone 5 is available on payg from the getgo, which is about time ! But as 02 have already exhausted their pre order stock i wouldn't hold out much hope just to walk into a store to buy one in the Uk !

Good luck across the pond.

8. VMMan macrumors 6502a

I'm speculating that the turnout for iPhone 5 will be a lot greater than for the 4S. AAPL has been rallying even more as opposed to the usual post new iPhone announcement sell off not just because of the greater rollout outside the US but also because of increased predictions of increased demand for the device.

9. IndianGuy macrumors regular

IndianGuy

I was able to score one on iPhone 4 launch day in late afternoon. Key is to go to the bigger area store - they get lot more stock. I stood in line for 1 hour in late afternoon around 3-4 pm and was able to score 32GB Black (they were sold out of 16GB).

10. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Yes it will be greater than the 4s. I wrote about the 4.

11. xofruitcake macrumors 6502a

I don't think 4s is a good indicator of what will happen this Friday. Ipad 3 launch day is a much better preview of what will happen on this Friday. Tim Cook has a very different philosophy in running the retail operations and launching product. He overstock the store with launch products and have enough associate to help the customer. So Apple end up with a lot more sales in the first day and more happy customers too.

Once we get through the morning rush, one should be able to walk into any Apple store and pick up your phone. There may be some model that sold out but they should be able to get it the next day. The delivery system to the store seems to improve a lot and Apple was able to deliver the sold out model to the store. Check out the Ipad 3 launch days experience in the forum. ATT & Verizon of the world are in a tough spot in gauging the demand. They have to put in the first day order to Apple a long time ago. If they guess wrong, they will end up with a lot of inventory to store and move later on. So it is to ATT, Verizon and Sprint's interest to just order enough.. And looks like they guess wrong this time and has to wait for the next delivery from Apple before they can fill some of the pre-order.

12. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

Expecting to walk in and buy a 5 just a week after introduction might be a little much. Maybe a week or two after that. Judging how fast the 5 sold out, it will take a few weeks or even a month to get the supply where they are just sitting in the stores.

13. MaximizedAction macrumors member

Thanks for the info!

So you think that even though there will be a waiting line of, say 600 in the morning in front of the Apple Store (it was for the 4S here in Munich), there is indeed a chance of getting a 5 in the afternoon.

What about the line of people? Since this will be my first Apple device that I plan on buying asap -- :D --, I'm wondering how fast the Store processes those initial lines; wouldn't want to stand in line for 2h+.

And one last question for the impatient newbie: If my model of desire should be sold out on this Friday, are the chances of getting one better on Saturday?

(Boy, I hope I don't seem too impatient, though I'm probably not alone on this forum^^)

14. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

If its a big store you have a high chance of walking out with an iPhone 5 easily. Big Apple stores get a lot of iPhones.

15. ViPhone thread starter macrumors 6502

Somewhat confusing, but helpful insight. Thanks guys. Really hoping to get one.

16. thegreatdivorce macrumors regular

The question is, do I need to get there early the morning of? Or if I stroll into a major store on release day, will I walk out new phone in hand?

17. txflyfish macrumors member

I don't think they tell you how much they have in stock ...but again they do it differently everytime. Over here just be within the first 40-50 in line

18. nostresshere macrumors 68030

If you could somehow figure out how many each store will have in stock, and how many people will show up, and how many already did a preorder and how many stores in your area will have supply and what type of phone each person wants, then you would have an answer.

19. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

You won't have any trouble getting an iPhone 4.

----------

If u stroll in, mid day, and expect to get a phone, your odds are very, very slim. If I were u I'd get there 2-3 hrs before they open. This will give u the best odds. I have a feeling once launch day comes and goes, the iPhone is going to be back ordered for at least 2-4 weeks.

20. grodgers macrumors member

"Reserve it"

If you have a previous iPhone, download the Apple Store app. It will allow you to check availability and reserve for pickup. Check in the early a.m. and it will tell you whether the iPhone you want is available at your preferred store. You can then "reserve" one for pickup. Stroll in later that day and pick it up if available. If it shows not available, you won't waste a trip.

21. drober30 macrumors 6502a

You will be fine if your going to a big Apple store. Maybe you might have to go to a 32 if their out of 16 by the time you make it in but I bet they will have a ton of phones.

Our apple store usually can last the first full day before selling out and that's with crazy lines of people!

22. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

Really? I never knew that. I will keep that in mind if i need to cancel my order with AT&T

23. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

You sure about that? With the RMBP launch, they didn't have that option available for weeks. I don't know how iPhone launches go but just saying.

24. grodgers macrumors member

I don't work for Apple so I can't be sure of anything. I can tell you that within 24 hours of the 4S launch it worked...

25. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I think the odds of a same day walk in purchase is high as long as you are not dead set on buying from the Apple store.