iPhone 5 warranty replacement ...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bbmiLo, Oct 30, 2012.

1. bbmiLo macrumors regular

I've only had the phone for less than a week, and it has developed a defective pixel, there is a tiny bright spot on the screen, which is pretty obvious with light background.

I am thinking of going to the store and replace the phone. Two questions:

1) since the phone was just recently released, would I get a brand new replacement or a refurbished one (like the iphon4 in the black box)?
    2) It's a AT&T phone and I unlocked it, supposedly that voids warranty, would they notice the unlock and decline warranty?

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's getting close to the 2 month mark when refurbs typically start showing up in the white boxes so you may or may not get a refurb. It shouldn't matter as you'll get a white box replacement iPhone anyway, whether or not it's a refurb.

Unlocking doesn't void the warranty.

3. Mr.Retina macrumors newbie

Since you are still within the return policy of the device,e you can do an exchange through the apple store for a sealed retail box phone. The major question is if that particular apple store has your phone in stock for exchange. I always gave customers(That were still within the return window date) an option between going through the Bar for an exchange, or getting a new phone exchanged through Easypay. Personally I would go through the bar, because those service phones i.e remanufactured phones are individually tested before they can be used as a replacement. "New" phones are tested in batches of 100, so you'll never know if you end up with a bad phone...

-Recently retired Apple Employee ;)

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Only if they're refurbs. Otherwise, your chance of getting a nicked and scratched white box replacement is as bad as sealed retail box iPhones.

5. bbmiLo thread starter macrumors regular

actually on the 2nd thought, i am not going to exchange it so quickly.

the warranty is for a year, i can always go back at a later time when something else goes wrong, which most likely would, my iphone4 wasn't good until the 3rd one. even if it works perfectly, i am sure it will get scratched and chipped since i don't use any cover. it will be nice to get a new replacement couple months from now.

kinda make sense? lol.

6. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

Not really. If something's wrong with the phone, they'll give you a replacement. You also have a 50/50 chance of getting a good one, the other option being a bad one. Your third iPhone 4 being "good" has nothing to do with this situation.

7. sosinsurr macrumors regular

I've already had mine replaced and I got no box with it. They just gave me the phone out of a metal case from the drawer behind the counter, and put my old one in it.

8. Fxgmez macrumors newbie

Go there first thing in the morning when they open. More than likely they will have one available to exchange brand new. I did so this morning. My situation was very unique and stumbled the whole store but I was able to do so today. I will post a new thread here soon explaining what happened.

9. SFGiants2012 macrumors newbie

I also had my phone replaced. I called Apple customer service and they were super nice to send me a new iPhone(the retail box).. Once I received that I sent back my defective phone along with the accessories.. back to them. Give it a try and see how it goes.