iPhone 5, WatchESPN, and Time Warner

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dlcrow, Sep 25, 2012.

1. dlcrow macrumors newbie

Can anyone successfully authenticate and use the WatchESPN application on their iPhone 5 with Time Warner Cable as your provider?

When I authenticate, I get an error about an unrecoverable system message from the embedded Time Warner web site authentication pages.

ESPN customer support doesn't seem to know about the issue and TWC customer support made a blanket claim that the iPhone 5 is not currently supported. Given my typical experience with TWC support, I'm not inclined to blindly believe that they know for sure whether it works or not.

2. ihav0frnds macrumors 6502

mine's been fine for watching on time warner. try deleting and reinstalling the apps.

3. dlcrow thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried to delete and reinstall.

Did you restore a previous phone settings to your iPhone 5?

I did not and I wonder if I had done that then the persistence of being authenticated made it through the restore to the new device.

4. milan03 macrumors 6502

milan03

For me is also a No-Go using Time Warner. Sucks. :(

5. Jnava420 macrumors regular

Same here I called CS no luck they blamed it in ESPN I know the app works because it does on my iPad just fine

6. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I'm having the same issue, I didnt follow up or call CS since I dont really use it that much.

7. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

8. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I can't get it to work on my 5 either, and it works fine on my iPad and iPod Touch. There are a ton of negative reviews in the App Store from TWC customers like us who also can't get it to authenticate on the 5, so it's obviously something that the ESPN developers and TWC are going to have to work out.

9. dlcrow thread starter macrumors newbie

I opened up support cases with both ESPN and Time Warner to see if they knew about or could solve the issue.

Time Warner replied with a pretty generic:

As of now, you will not be able to access WatchESPN on iPhone 5. Our engineers are working to resolve the issue so that our customers can enjoy the service on iPhone 5. At this time there is no known estimated time of upgrade. I apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience. We are confident that our engineers will have this issue resolved shortly.​

ESPN replied with

We are aware of the issue and working to resolve it as quickly as possible. Thank you for your continued patience.​

I guess, "now we wait". :(

10. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

Doesn't work for me either. I also submitted a compliant to ESPN and TW.

11. famous600 macrumors 6502a

famous600

12. oustick macrumors newbie

I have been dealing with this since Saturday, Sept. 22. I don't think anyone is doing anything to fix it and I am pretty sure it is a TW issue. I am an "IT Geek" myself and I really think this is an easy fix if they would spend some time looking at the issue (I have contacted both TW and ESPN).

What I have found out so far:
    WatchESPN app installs fine. The error is when you pick your provider and log on. I select Time Warner. Now I get the TW screen to log on. If you type in an invalid username or password, you actually get an "invalid password" message. However, if you try a valid account, your authentication process is started and you get an error with the TW logo at the top: "We are unable to complete your request at this time due to a system error. Please try again later."

I have a friend getting the exact same error on an iPhone 4s (running iOS 6). He installed the app after he did the update to iOS 6 and did not have it on prior to that. Obviously, all iPhone 5 users already have iOS 6.

It is not a provider issue (Sprint, ATT, Verizon, etc.). I tried using wifi and had my cellular data off.

Anyone else have any further input???

13. randymac88 macrumors regular

Exactly my experience. I know a bunch of folks over at ESPN and I have no doubt they'd be all over this. Agreed that it must be a TWC issue.

14. twokansamm macrumors newbie

I have had the same problem with an iPhone 5 restored from iCloud. It clearly accepts the U/P because it gives a different error that when you enter a fictitious U/P. My iPad is still working after upgrading to iOS 6.

Who did you email or what number did you call to contact Time Warner? Perhaps they will expedite the fix if they get more people requesting a solution.

15. dlcrow thread starter macrumors newbie

16. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Mine works. Problem is that are taking their sweet time getting iPhone 5 support out there.

17. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

What cable provider do you have? It's been a week now and TWC customers like me still can't log in.

18. oustick macrumors newbie

Can anyone else verify it is an iOS 6 issue with a fresh install of WatchESPN? I think they are stuck on the fact it is an iPhone 5 problem. Look at my previous post... I have a friend with a 4s. Never had the app installed. Upgraded to iOS 6. Then installed WatchESPN. Does not work with Time Warner. Same error we are all getting. Can anyone else confirm this on any other devices?

By the way... ESPN and TW support are both useless. "They are aware of the issue."

19. twokansamm macrumors newbie

There is a new error today and the login screen doesn't even come up. It looks like they are doing something. Each time you click Time Warner a new error code is popping up.

20. hethbar macrumors newbie

I am also unable to authenticate with twc. Very frustrating!!!

21. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

I am using Comcast, sorry, I missed that prerequisite in the post.

22. Msteward5 macrumors newbie

iPhone 5, watchESPN, and Tome Warner

Odd...I can watch it just fine on my iPhone 5 but I am not able to get it to authenticate on my iPad 2 (iOS6).

23. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

there is probably a reason the ratings on the app are so bad =/

24. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

I have no problems with the app and I am amazed at the quality

25. Skystar macrumors 6502

I used this app a lot with my 4S and 5.1.1, ever since the 5 and 6.0 nothing works. I think this is a Time Warner problem with authenticating IOS 6 and or the iPhone 5. They probably have to just update their code.