iPhone 5 Water Damage (Logic Board)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eNkee, Aug 9, 2013.

1. eNkee macrumors newbie

Hey guys. My friend washed his iPhone 5 in a washing machine and let me have it. :cool: I opened it up and it had some serious water damage - the battery was twice the size, all the connectors and the circuits were full of corrosion.

I replaced the battery, cleaned all the visible parts with a 70% solution of rubbing alcohol, everything looks great now. Except for 1 thing - it does not turn on.

After further examining the logic board and getting some light under the metal shields I noticed that the alcohol did not clean up the insides - the corrosion is pretty bad in there. Using the soldering equipment will be very time consuming and I am not sure I will be able to put it back.

Anybody has any idea how to get rid of the corrosion built up under the shields without ruining it? Maybe some stronger liquid or something?

Any help will be appreciated! :)

2. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Some have had success with putting the iphone in a bag of rice for many hours or a day after dropping same in some water. Not a full washing. Others have not. You used Alcohol on top of the washing it got. Its toasts in my opinion.

3. eNkee thread starter macrumors newbie

It was placed into rice, however in most cases it solves nothing. A lot of people successfully cleaned their logic boards with a solution of rubbing alcohol and everything was fine, I don't see how alcohol can damage the circuits in any way. Thank you for the response though.

My question is still how to get the corrosion from under the metal shields. ;)

4. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

You used the wrong kind of alcohol
    The alcohol you used is part water in the future use 99 isopropyl alcohol and you'll have more success