iPhone 5 Water Damage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CHI3F117, Oct 30, 2012.

1. CHI3F117 macrumors newbie

Just thought I'd post an experience thread in case someone gets in my situation and panics...Due to pretty unfortunate circumstances, I managed to place my new phone at the bottom of my spa over the weekend. I managed to save it after only about 10 seconds and immediately put in in rice for a full 24 hours. To my surprise, the phone is almost completely unharmed. There is very small, almost unnoticeable water damage in one corner of the screen but otherwise everything works 100%!

Anyway, all this to say that if something unfortunate like this happens to you, IMMEDIATELY bury it in rice! You're likely to save it. Hooray for good design!

2. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQryQ3o3hi0 Lmao, look at how much water he subjects the poor thing to. It lasts pretty long..

3. afterafx macrumors member

Glad to hear your phone survived, must of been a panic!

4. CHI3F117 thread starter macrumors newbie

@Minhimalism: Wow, that was just cruel. I am literally astonished it lasted that long. No wonder mine survived.

@afterafx: Thank you! I am glad as well. It was quite a shocker indeed. I jumped in after it fully clothed! :p

5. iproductsuser macrumors 6502a

6. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

My 4s was in my pocket when I jumped into a pool. So, it was totally submerged.

I shook it out, hit it with a hair dryer on medium heat for an hour, then put it in a bag with real mil spec dessecant packs, for a few days. Believe it or not, the phone ended up 100% ok, absolutely no permanent damage whatsoever, and trust me, I looked, and checked. I honestly couldn't believe it.

7. cuti macrumors member

I am glad to hear your phone still works, but keep in mind your IP5 1 yr warranty is no longer cover by Apple, the water sensors inside the phone maybe got trigger already (turning to red color). Apple tech always use little the flash light to check this sensor before exchanging new IP

8. CHI3F117 thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately this is true. I took a look and it seems like they are triggered. But considering its still working...heres to hoping I won't need support!