iPhone 5 water sensor fix?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bigboomer24, Oct 2, 2013.

1. bigboomer24 macrumors member

Hey guys I just wanted to know if I can fix, or replace the water sensors that are in the iPhone 5? I took my phone in today to an apple store and they found out that the phone had been water damaged. They took my phone to the back of the store to open and they check'ed to see if all the liquid sensors have been damaged. Do you think if I can replace the sensors and return it back to the apple store they won't say or do anything? Will they check at other things besides the sensors? I really need to get my phone replaced :(

2. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

If this was possible, why even have the sensors in the first place?

You really think you can just buy some "sensors" from eBay and place them on your phone and Apple will think it hasn't been water damaged?

3. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Usually, they will make a case for each phone they examine and they will indicate in the case notes that your water sensors have been tripped. This is tracked by serial number. So it is doubtful that you would be able to replace the sensors and have them replace the phone without question.

This is a good case for applecare+ and/or insurance. Worst case, they can give you an Out Of Warranty Replacement.

4. g4manimac macrumors 6502

NOT WORTH IT on top of all that they prolly put it on record that that phone has been brought in and refused service due to water damage.If the sensors are showing damage did u drop it in water?If so why try to scam them?

5. bigboomer24 thread starter macrumors member

Just wondering. I've been looking on ebay and I saw a few liquid stickers but since you guys have been telling me it's a scam, I'd rather go ahead and just sell it then.

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

OP why do you need your phone replaced? That might be an easier problem to solve.

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

Your asking people here to help you be dishonest? Very classy.

8. bigboomer24 thread starter macrumors member

The sleep/wake button is not responsive, I have to tap it hard to get it to work. The proximity sensor also does not work and the front facing camera looks very foggy.

----------

k

9. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

quite a bit of issues there. i bet your phone has seen better days.

have you dropped it in water at all? if you did and seek advice on how to fool apple its fraud.

10. bigboomer24 thread starter macrumors member

Honestly I don't remember dropping it in water all. I just took it in to get it replaced mainly because the sleep/wake button wasn't responding and the proximity sensor wasn't working. I didn't know there was water damage until the employee took it to the back of the store and came to tell me that the sensors have been damaged

11. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Any chance you considered that water would have caused this?

12. brand macrumors 601

brand

You dont have to drop it in water for it to get water damage. One example would be using it in a bathroom while a hot shower is running.

13. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

either you did, or you didn't.

there is no such thing as "i don't remember" when you drop an expensive phone in water.

14. brand macrumors 601

brand

Maybe thats his way of saying he didn't but someone else did.

15. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

yes but i don't think it was apple :D

16. brand macrumors 601

brand

I completely agree with you there.

17. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

Honestly I don't believe this at all. I dropped my iPhone 4S in a running sink. It was soaked, and the bottom half was under water. I had no issues with it, but next time I was at an Apple Store I had them check it for water damage. None. Did not trip a sensor. Had the phone for two years and never had an issue with it.

Also used it in the bathroom during showers countless times. Personally, I think anyone who says their water sensors were tripped this way are lying.

18. brand macrumors 601

brand

Your right. Your experiences that only pertain to you are what everyone else should use as scripture and their experiences are wrong. I don't really care if you believe my example of how it could get moisture damage. Everyday people choose not to believe the truth. :rolleyes:

19. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

its difficult to prove.

also, it might be a question of *how much* steam we are talking about.

i leave my bathroom door open when i take a shower, for instance. there is steam, but it goes away quickly. some people might turn their bathroom into a friggin sauna when they shower, however.

in any case, i think the phone has no place in a bathroom when you are taking a shower. its an electronic device in an ambient full of water and steam - better safe than sorry.

20. g4manimac macrumors 6502

I had mine in the bathroom with me today and it actually ran across my mind enough that it could trip a sensor I wrapped it in a wash cloth and put it in a drawer.I have personally took many many iphones apart and can tell you yes the water sensors are fragile BUT I can also say there is a big difference in one thats been submerged and ones that the elements may have got to.Also the honestly I dont remember line?Thats a dead giveaway

21. Abandapart82 macrumors member

Yup. Happened to my GF now wife with her iphone 3G.