iPhone 5: What if the new dock connector is a Thunderbolt connector?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mossme89, Jul 27, 2012.

1. mossme89 macrumors 6502

I just had an idea that maybe this might be a possibility. The new smaller dock connector will actually be maybe a slightly modified thunderbolt connector. It would be kind of a win-win situation because it would drive up interest in thunderbolt accessories while bringing the interface to other devices. And the extra speed certainly wouldn't hurt.

What do you think? Could this be a possibility?

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Considering a TB cable is $50 right now, I really doubt it.

3. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Doubtful. Not saying they won't, but I suspect it'll be a USB, and revamped connector; possibly like magsafe. Not all systems have TB ports, and that would isolate some users, and more specifically...SALES.

4. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

It's only $50 because the manufacturers choose to jack up the price by an obscene amount. Bundling a TB cable with every iphone wouldn't jack up the cost that much.

So no one is enamoured by the idea of being able to plug your iphone to an external display and use it as a makeshift CPU? Throw in a bluetooth keyboard and you have the next generation of IOS transformers. :D

5. ConCat macrumors 6502a

ConCat

They say the price of the cables is supposed to go down soon. It is interesting that the dock connector is supposed to be a 19 pin connector, and thunderbolt is a 20 pin connector. It isn't out of the realm of possibility, but I doubt it.

6. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

You have seen the inside of a TB cable before right? There is a lot of new technology built into that cable. Manufacturers aren't purposely jacking up the price.

7. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

Thunderbolt on the iPhone is an interesting idea, but has some flaws.

The current implementation (copper) of Thunderbolt CAN carry power to the remote device. The next implementation (optical) may NOT be able to carry power to the remote device.

Thunderbolt is an extension of PCI-E. Since the iPhone does not work on that architecture, it would have to be a stripped-down implementation.

The added speed of Thunderbolt transfers would not be significantly faster than USB 2.0 for the iPhone because of the speed of its flash memory.

Thunderbolt means that you would only be able to sync your iPhone to a Thunderbolt-equipped computer. Since there is one PC that supports it and only current-gen Macs, that would alienate a lot of customers, including myself.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Nice guess, but no, that's incorrect. There's a fair amount of computer inside those cables. They're not just wires.

I don't think this iPhone has Thunderbolt but I strongly suspect this dock connector has been designed with space reserved to add TB to this size connector in the future.

9. adam1080 macrumors member

adam1080

To be honest, I was hoping for a TB cable to iphone connection. Obviously it wouldnt be the main cable, thats just not feasible. I was hoping it would be an optional "upgrade" is you will.

What about the odds of making it USB 3 compatible? That seems like it would make more sense. The cable would still work with all charging devices and older computers. All of Apples new hardware contains USB 3, so it would seem like the more logical progression... unfortunately.

10. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

It'll likely be USB 3 but no chance it will be TB by default. Windows is still far and away the most popular platform and to say TB is rare on the Windows side is an understatement at best. I'm hoping for a TB cable option but am not really optimistic on that happening either.

11. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

I agree. My MBP is just pre TB. It would be nice if it progressed there in the future though. Synching & backing up takes forever anymore. :eek:

12. me43 macrumors member

If I remember correctly Apple got a patent for a combined usb 2.0, 3.0, and thunderbolt port and cable.

13. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

I think we'll see USB 3.0... no thunderbolt for a year or two.

14. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Yes, in time I think it will. I agree, it can be slow. Painful at times; at least initially.

15. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I don't see the point. I vote no on this one.

16. alexander25 macrumors regular

we'll see thunderbolt as an option eventually, but USB is here to stay for a while.

17. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

There are more reasons NOT to go thunderbolt, some of which have already been mentioned:

1. Most people don't have thunderbolt ports. For one, I am not even sure Thunderbolt is available on PCs yet. You stand to alienate a LOT of users.
    2. Cost
    3. Speed increase (would it make much of a difference over, say USB 3.0?)

18. nw9 macrumors regular

Windows users alone is big enough of a reason why TB is not a good option. Even among Mac users, not everyone has upgraded to a computer with TB. I also think USB 3 that is backwards compatible with USB 2 would make a lot more sense.

The faster speed of TB would be very nice to have, but USB 3 would also be a lot faster too while still having more ownership by the major of users.

19. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I could get excited about this in maybe five years. Right now far too few displays have a thunderbolt port. Hell, far too few COMPUTERS have a thunderbolt port, and I am sure those outnumber the displays by a great deal.

20. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I'll tell you what I think: What the hell is Thunderbolt? That answer your question?

21. pear21 macrumors 6502

pear21

I agree that it most likely will be USB 3.0 that seems to be where everything is heading.