Iphone 5, Which Carrier?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mykull, Sep 6, 2012.

?

Which US Carrier will you choose for the iPhone 5?

Poll closed Sep 24, 2012.
  1. AT&T

69 vote(s)
    44.2%
  2. Sprint

19 vote(s)
    12.2%
  3. Verizon

46 vote(s)
    29.5%
  4. Unlocked

22 vote(s)
    14.1%
  1. mykull macrumors newbie

Getting a iPhone 5 in the US? Which carrier will you be using?

2. troop231, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012

troop231 macrumors 603

I'll probably switch to Verizon, I can pay my AT&T ETF and buy a fully subsidized iPhone 5 from Verizon cheaper than if I was to stay on AT&T and buy a phone at full retail price.

To top it off, Verizon lets you use your data as you paid for it, however you want! I can FaceTime, use Personal Hotspot, and share my data with any devices I please! AT&T needs to wake up!

Edit: Also, word going around town now is that Verizon is putting up LTE on a few towers here locally, just in time for the new iPhone!

3. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Getting unlocked and trying out T-Mobile if AT&T does anything to mess with my unlimited data.

4. dw3bb10 macrumors 6502

Sprint, since I'm on a family plan and get to use my little sisters upgrade to get the phone :D

Though, I plan on unlocking it and using on a GSM carrier (T-Mobile or StraightTalk) sometime next year maybe.

5. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

Sprint, my company pays for it and since I am also in college I don't need extra expenses.

6. formerpc macrumors 6502

I'm still debating.... can't make up my mind. :/

7. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

8. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Same here. Still have unlimited and will pay full retail to continue to have it. At least I won't be in any contracts anymore. :D

9. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

Unlocked and on Straight Talk or another MVNO.

10. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Not sure if I will be staying; but my wife wants the iPhone 5- she is on AT&T but we don't have LTE here. I am sure they will find a way to jack up the price and give 3G with the 4g icon.

11. Outrigger, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012

Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

While true, I checked out VZW's new shared plans are the only ones available to new customers and they are more expensive for someone who doesn't need unlimited minutes and txt. Thought about changing it for the broder LTE coverage.

12. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

Wait... People are still ACTUALLY choosing AT&T? How? Why?
    People complain and complain about how much AT&T sucks, then they get ranked incredibly low in customer satisfaction, they get into trouble with the FCC over the whole FaceTime over 3G thing and still manage to screw it up. How are people still choosing this company???

13. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

Switching from AT&T to Verizon from an iPhone 4. Sick of the dropped calls with full bars.

14. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

15. wongulous macrumors 6502a

I live in an area where Sprint does well, AT&T blows chunks, and Verizon is excellent but much more expensive (not even mentioning unlimited data or Sprint's better corporate discounts for me and my husband's employers). Sprint is the best way to go here.

But that's why this poll is kinda silly: service, pricing, popularity all vary from area to area.

At MacRumors, Sprint is definitely the whipping boy around here, very "uncool" or whatever, since AT&T users can brag that they have the fastest or have had the most iPhones, and Verizon lovers can talk up their network or huge LTE footprint. It's just uncool to mention Sprint's unlimited data or more reasonable pricing, so you have to expect people to chime in and say disparaging things. Well, kids, Sprint is great for me, and I don't care what you think of 'em! :)

Plus, customers have all kinds of crazy stupid reasons to change or keep their cell phone company, like they're mad about billing or a rude CSR or the "principle" of the AT&T FaceTime thing (even though by switching to Verizon they're having to go to the same plan or one slightly more expensive than the plan that AT&T wants them to change to in order to use FaceTime... defeating their entire point of complaint if they'd just go to the FaceTime-inclusive pooled data plan).

16. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

you could also just pay the early upgrade device fee and stay on AT&T, I think is just $100 more than regular subsidized price ;)

17. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Rogers... Unlocked version. (Well, all Canadian iPhone's are unlocked when bought at full price)

18. MarcuMcall macrumors newbie

I am also in college I don't need extra expenses[​IMG]

19. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

20. zuckuss00 macrumors member

AT&T

However, if they try to mess with my unlimited data plan... I'm jumping ship to Verizon again. They have a faster LTE network anyways.

21. albertxp06 macrumors regular

Because AT&T is perfectly fine for some of us?
    They offer the best balance of price and coverage in my area.

Plus, I never use FaceTime anyway so I don't really care about that.

22. M87 macrumors 65816

Honestly! A carrier? I put mine in my pocket.

23. myditka macrumors member

I'm coming from T-mobile and for the past 3 years was hoping it would actually come and now I am done waiting!! Was thinking between Verizon vs ATT but what the heck, I'll dish out the extra $20 Verizon and get the good service and LTE here in PHX!