iPhone 5 Wide Band Audio

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Battlefield Fan, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Does anyone have the list of 20 carries supporting wide band audio? Its also know as HD Voice. I'm hoping AT&T will support it.

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

ATT was not listed in keynote. Don't count on it. Their voice network is so massive, and old school.

3. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I haven't read enough into it yet, but I remember reading about 'HD Voice' years ago but it never really took off because there wasn't much demand from consumers and thus carriers/phone makers never pushed ahead with it.

Is Apple basically just implementing HD Voice and pushing it across the carriers to implement?

4. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I wonder just how "wide" this is compared to Cisco wideband for VoIP networks. We've used wideband at work and yes, it's extremely clear, but to be honest it's actually distracting. Voices are so crisp that you hear every little sound and far too much "mouthing" rather than just the words. You can literally hear people's lips separate before they start talking. Think of it like HD video that's so detailed that you see all of the blemishes on an actor's skin. My hope is that any widespread support of wideband for mobile phone networks just get things closer to land line normal vs what I've heard with VoIP wide band.

5. Battlefield Fan thread starter macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Haha well it that case maybe I'll pass. It still would be nice to have a list.

6. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Well, let's see how "HD" it is. Lot's of room between the current typical mobile phone audio and what I described above. If they get it closer to land line fidelity then we'll be good to go.

7. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

So a feature that is only available on 20 out of 240+ carriers carrying iPhone is GTG but NFC wasn't mainstream enough? Makes sense! A useless feature in a phone, good call!