Iphone 5 wifi/lte issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tempe, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Tempe macrumors newbie

Since I have unlimited LTE from buying the phone rather than upgrading I always have WiFi off as the location I am at during the day has horrible wifi, and I always hate getting the message do you want to connect to x wifi network.

Location 1. Home great signal great wifi
    Location 2. work great signal poor wifi

Remember wifi is off its showing LTE

Speed tests location 1. 35/10 (happens to be my cable internet speed 40/10 advertised), used my ipad to walk far enough away outside of my house so it did not pick up wi-fi and ran the same speed test my speeds dropped to 9/5.

Location 2. Indoors getting poor tests (Always equated this to be indoors and possibly the cell signal was degraded never thought that my iPhone was just bumping off its wi-fi) test indoors is around 1/1 which is inline with what my wifi ipad gets at work, its super ****** service. if I walk to the parking lot of work my speeds are 6/4.

Highest LTE speed I have seen that has been in the middle of a parking lot without the possibility of bumping off of wifi has been 12/7.

Is there a backdoor way or some program I can use to figure out where the iphone is getting the data from? From my experiments it seems its leaching off wifi network despite having wifi marked as off under settings and clearly displaying LTE.

2. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

if you have wifi off.... it is using cellular data. shouldn't that be obvious?

you know you can turn off the option "ask to join networks" right?

Why not just use your wifi at home and not join the wifi network at work? seems like a pretty simple solution.

3. Tempe thread starter macrumors newbie

My entire problem is I have wifi off on the phone yet its still using wifi.....