Iphone 5 will not connect to cellular data--known sim issue at&t purchased from apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kiserem, Oct 1, 2012.

1. kiserem macrumors newbie

I received my iphone 5 on Friday and initially was not able make or receive phone calls. I called at&t and they said it was due to the volume of activations. On Saturday morning, I was able to reset my phone and get the calling function to work. I soon discovered that while my phone displays 4g, i was unable to connect to cellular data: My phone displays the message: Could not activate cellular data -- You are not subscribed to a cellular network.

After numerous phone calls to AT&T and apple and multiple resets and restores of my phone, a representative from AT&T advised me this morning that there is an known issue with the sim cards on AT&T phones purchased from apple that is causing cellular data not to work. She said replacing the sim card and having the phone reactivated will resolve this issue.

I do not live in an area with an AT&T corporate store or Apple Store. I will be getting a new sim card on Tuesday. I will advise at this time, whether this works on not.

2. mkstewartesq@co macrumors regular

Odd that they're blaming it solely on bad SIMs. Let us know what happens.

I say "odd" because I got am iPhone 5 from the online Apple Store with an AT&T SIM, worked fine for a week. Had to exchange the phone at Apple Store due to scuffing, and I watched the Genius take my SIM out of my phone and put it in the new phone. With the new phone, the "no SIM"/ "no service" error started popping up randomly over the next hour or so (not the exact same as your issue, but pretty close.) The Genius swapped out the replacement phone with yet another and placed my original AT&T SIM from Apple in the new phone, and it worked (and continues to work) just fine. So, at least in my case, the issue was not the SIM (worked fine in 2 phones out of 3) but apparently with the hardware in 1 out of 3 phones it was placed in.

Mike

3. elixxxer macrumors member

Did you happen to install the new sim yet? I periodically get the "could not activate cellular data" message and generally have to soft and hard reset the phone to get things going. It's happen twice in two weeks and is really aggrivating.

I also purchased my AT&T iPhone 5 from Apple.