iPhone 5 with no Social Security #...?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Turnpike, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Turnpike macrumors 6502

Turnpike

Without taking up the time getting into the "SS#" part of the equation, what kind of options are there to get a iPhone 5 service WITHOUT having a SS#? Buying the iPhone used or new off the shelf is no problem, and actually the data part is the only part really needed of the service.

I know two people who are in the city (international students-they will get temp SS#'s, but it will take a few months to get them, at least.) I know of having an ATT iphone 4s on the data only package, but that service only gets you 2g speeds, which is too slow for most of the things the phone is used for.

So, IGNORING SS# related comments, putting people on my plan, iPhone 4s and older models, and 2/3G speed solutions, and keeping the problem solving focused to this part of the problem: (iPhone 5, with 4G service, no SS# but new/used phone is fine, any carrier, any deposit amount) does anyone know of a solution? Data only, or data with phone, though data is the only important part.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions! :)

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

One option for data-only service would be a stand-alone hotspot device and just tether to it. Then you wouldn't need an iPhone 5 for LTE.

3. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Buying the phone at full retail, you dont need social for that

4. ProudLoz macrumors regular

Here in Texas I have the same problem as you, but I managed to get an iPhone 5 anyways. I have a cousin who was also in the same situation and managed to get an iPhone 4S last year. The issue isn't that you can't get a phone without a social, it's just that the employees probably don't know that you can actually do that.

So, if you want an iPhone 5, walk into any carrier's store and just tell them that you want to sign up with them to get an iPhone, but that you rather pay a deposit. Don't tell them that you don't have a social, if they ask say you're a student. All they'll ask for you is your ID, and then another form of identificatoin to prove that you're, well, you. This could be a deposit stub from a job, your school ID, a bill with your name, etc. It can be done, you just need to talk to the right person. If they refuse, just go to another store.

The only issue will be that you'll have to pay a deposit, and depending on the carrier it could be between $0-$500. I manage to sign up with Sprint without putting a deposit for some reason, but in the end I wasn't satisfied with the service and so I had to return the phone and cancel my contract.

If this seems like it'll be an issue another thing you can do is have a friend, or a relative add you to their family plan and you can then get the iPhone 5. The issue however will be when you plan to upgrade since you'll need their info, and who knows if they'll provide it to you, and also the bill. If you or they are late on their bills, you will have issues, but it's an option.

5. tekno macrumors 6502a

Anyone fancy explaining this to a non-American?

From reading this I gather that, to buy an iPhone in America, you need a 'social security number' which Wikipedia tells me is a number given to American citizens (is the next step all Americans being branded with a barcode?!).

So, only American citizens can buy things in America? Are you forever reciting your SS number at the till? And what's the point? Does it matter if a non-US citizen buys something in the US?

6. Turnpike thread starter macrumors 6502

Turnpike

Calm down tekno- you misundersand. Anybody can walk in and buy the iPhone over the counter, the SS# is required in setting up a service contract with the carrier to verify a certain level of credit before the carrier lets you loose with a device on their system.

Now for the rest- thanks for your input so far, does that mean that with buying a phone at full retail and putting down a huge deposit, they will set it up without ID? (Since the one person I have in mind doesnt yet have a State ID card)

7. hachiman, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012

hachiman macrumors regular

You need a SSN (social security number) to buy a subsidized iPhone (discounted price of $199) with a carrier contract. From you full-filling that contract, the carrier will make up the discounted difference over time by you paying the monthly bill. The contracted service is a post-paid service, meaning you use it first, then at the end of the billing month, they charge you. It's similar to a credit card, where you have to pay the bill after you have made your purchase. The main reason they want the SSN is because they want to make sure that person has a good record of paying the bills. In comparison, a prepaid phone is when you pay it first and can only use the amount of minutes within the amount of time you have paid for and that does not require a SSN.

Now if you do not have a SSN, you can still buy an iPhone without a contract, at full price. I think they start at $649.

I hope I made it clear.

8. LoloBond macrumors 6502

I'm sure every country have some type of (Social Security Number) way to account for residents.

9. Hpye macrumors 6502

I have social security and I am not an American . You got ss# if you work in us

10. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Actually they can't require a SS#. If you tell them that you don't want to give your SS# they can activate a line with the last 4 digits. But you will need something else to ID you to pull credit.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Every country has a similar form of tax identification number.
    Where do you live that they don't have something similar as a taxpayers ID number?
    And what is a till?

12. tekno macrumors 6502a

I live in the UK and yes, we have a taxpayers number, but it's only needed when paying tax/starting new employment/dealing with government departments. It's not needed when buying a mobile telephone.

Using nothing but my Mac's thesaurus (something I suspect you have also),
    Till: cash register, cash drawer(s), cashbox, strongbox; checkout.

For a 'god', you don't seem particularly omniscient (your thesaurus might come in handy again there).

----------

Ok, so this Social Security Number is needed simply to prove your ID in order for the retailer to then check your credit worthiness?! This now makes sense.

13. moosquared macrumors regular

moosquared

I used to be an international student in the US. Didn't have SSN since I didn't work (you can only get one if you work in school, since it's illegal for you to work outside of school).

You don't need a SSN to buy a phone. You just need it if you want to sign up a contract with them. If you don't have a SSN, you'll have to put down a deposit. Mine was $500 at that time.

I'm pretty sure you can still get the subsidized phone even without SSN. My friend did. She was an International student, no SSN, and she put down a $500 deposit. It wasn't an iPhone though. It was a windows phone or such. That was in 2010 with T-Mo.

14. vistadude macrumors 65816

SSN is needed to check your credit. In USA, we have so many people who don't pay bills on time, don't pay their mortgage, and buy more stuff on their credit card then they can earn. It's needed for a contract phone, since the carrier pays the upfront cost of the phone.

There are certainly other ways to check credit history, but easiest is SSN. They must ask permission to do a credit check, and SSN is the easiest way to do it.

15. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

It's really difficult to avoid voice. If you do want data only, your best bet is to look at gsm mvno providers. It's not likely to be cheaper than voice+data and the person has to bring their own phone. Since the person will have to pay full price for a phone (since they're without ss#), this part won't be an issue.
    Some people have had luck using their ipad's sim, but ymmv.

16. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

You can also go prepaid and don't pay any deposit.

17. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

loll not too far from the barcode my friend. Who needs microchips implanted when you got iPhones/smartphones attached to your ss#. Mark of the beast is working overtime. :D

18. Turnpike thread starter macrumors 6502

Turnpike

Prepaid and get 4G? Really? Someone tell me how! This is something exactly as I was hoping for! :)

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The social is used when pulling your credit history in order to sign a contract.
    And guess what? I'm not using a Mac nor felt the need to search. We just never use that word as cash register in the US, that's all.

20. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

21. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

You can get a SS# whether you are a citizen or not. Most illegals have them.

22. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

you cant... unless you go by atts definition of 4g ;)
    no prepaid LTE yet

23. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

actually Juiced, Till is used in the US...if you happen to be at a Walmart or grocery store while they're changing shifts or cashiers you'll hear the word being used...the Till is literally the black plastic drawer that the cash goes in inside the register...you know the thing they hide the hundred dollar bills under

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:D
    I love Walmart:)

25. Hpye macrumors 6502

i am a student