iphone 5 without being eligible for upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rd261, Oct 24, 2012.

1. rd261 macrumors regular

Is it true that you cannot buy an iphone without being eligible for an upgrade? I have tried ordering through the apple store, called the Apple store, and even through a sprint store and they all tell me that they are not selling the iphone 5 without signing a new contract. Problem is I already have a contract! Is that their new policy? If so then it may be time for me to find a company which actually minds my business a little bit more.

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

You should be able to get a new iPhone if you're still under contract though not without first breaking that contract, which will almost certainly come with an early termination fee. And you'll likely also have to start a new contract. I've never heard of any company not allowing you to do that so I suggest trying again.

3. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

My friend has bought at least a dozen iPhone 5 off contract at the Apple Store in our town. FYI

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

You are eligible for an upgrade. A no commitment upgrade. You have to pay full price but AT&T and Apple consider it an upgrade. Apple processes it as a Device Only upgrade. It will be unlocked and will not extend your contract. Nothing to it. :)

5. stieny macrumors member

I bought my iPhone 5 without an upgrade. Ordered it through the 10pm/next day pick up option off of Apples website. It asks for your cell number and informs you that you are not eligible for a discounted price on the phone and that it will be full retail.

Went into the Apple store where it was being held at the next day and picked it up. They just transferred my existing plan and contract from my 4S onto my 5. I still kept my unlimited data, my contract expiration date was unchanged, and my device upgrade date remained the same.

6. rd261 thread starter macrumors regular

When I put all my acoount information a message comes back saying my account is not eligible and gives me no other options other than calling sprint. I used the chat feature on the online store and was told that sprint does not allow them to sell the iphone without signing a new contract. I told him I already had a contract and wanted to pay full price and was told that the only way to pay full price was to order at sprint.com. It would take over 3 weeks to get it that way. :(

7. stieny macrumors member

Wow. I had no issues ordering mine through Apple and paying full retail but I'm on Verizon.

It must be a carrier by carrier basis for what they'll allow you to do although I haven't heard of that until now.

8. applebro macrumors member

Depends on store. I went to a small town Verizon store and wanted to buy one at full price but they said they weren't allowed to do that. Went to a Verizon store in a large city and they walked me through the process on one of their computers to order it on their website. Total was $710

9. stieny macrumors member

I don't go to Verizon stores for that very reason. Every one of them tells you something different any time you ask a question or buy something. Actually, I stopped going to AT&T stores as well when I had my 3G iPhone for the same BS, although Verizon is by far the worst.

I only deal directly with Apple stores. It's one the perks of owning an Apple smartphone.

10. rd261 thread starter macrumors regular

Ended ordering from sprint online. Will take 3 weeks but they seemed to be the only ones willing to take my money. Unfortunately I'm on a family plan so canceling the contract and going somewhere else is not an option. I've got the iPhone 4S but sprint is deploying lte all over my area and don't want to be left out.