iPhone 5 without data plan on T-Mobile?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cjshino, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Cjshino macrumors regular

I want to get an Iphone 5 no contract from tmobile without data but will tmobile let me do that? I plan to use it on tmobile but I dont want to pay monthly bills and I dont want data.

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

Tmobile doesn't offer any plans without data. The lowest plan at $50 still includes 500MB of high speed data.

If you mean just buying the phone outright without a plan then you're better off just buying it from an Apple store because Tmobile will charge the full $649 for it.

3. Cjshino thread starter macrumors regular

but im currently using an iphone 4 without a plan and have been doing so for a while..

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

Well if you have an old plan without data then its as simple as buying an iPhone 5 full price and getting a nano SIM card from Tmobile.

5. Cjshino thread starter macrumors regular

Well im in a family plan and my mom has data for her iphone but its only for her so im guessing I can just get IP5 from the store

6. 617aircav Suspended

What an irrelevant thread. You are already using an iPhone on tmobile without data, why would the 5 be different?

7. Cjshino thread starter macrumors regular

I asked tmobile and they said i couldnt do that with the iphone 5

8. 617aircav Suspended

Just buy the phone outright and transfer your current line to it. All iPhones us the same plans.

9. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

To get the iPhone 5 at tmobile you must have data plan unless-
    - you complain to the store manager and they are nice
    -you pay full price for it

Also the minimum data plan is 2 gb and it only costs 10 dollars a month

10. 617aircav Suspended

Seems to me by no contract the op intends to buy it outright at full price.

11. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

I believe it is 20 dollars a month for 2gb of fast speed data and then it goes down to unlimited edge speed data

12. tardman91, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013

tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

Oh my there is so much confusing information in this thread.
    Go to tmobile and get a nano sim for your iPhone 5 or cut the one down from your iPhone 4 and switch them. Problem solved.
    Any older T-Mobile plan can be switched over to any phone by just switching the SIM cards.
    All of T-Mobile's new plans all include unlimited data, the lowest being 500mb. You can add more if you like. After you use up your high speed data they just throttle you down to 2g speeds.
    You can buy an iPhone 5 from T-Mobile for $629.

13. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

Yes, there is a 1200 minute (or text) plan with only 30 MB data for only $30 from T-Mo

14. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

My current setup with the current T-Mobile plans is five lines with data plans on two of the lines. I asked if I could buy an iPhone 5 and not have to add another data plan. They told me I could, however I haven't tried this out yet to make sure it actually works. Still deciding if I want to upgrade from the 4S or wait a bit longer.

15. deeddawg macrumors 604

Unfortunately, your belief is incorrect.

All lines comes with 500MB of high speed data then drop to Edge.

$10 extra adds 2GB, giving 2.5GB of high speed data.
    The $20 extra ($10 more than the +2GB) gives unlimited high speed data.

It's stupid easy to go to www.t-mobile.com and mock up a plan to see the costs.

16. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

That is with the new plans, I am talking of the old plans

I assumed the op was on the old plans since it was mentioned somewhere that he/she was already on a family plan with tmobile

17. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

If you asked T-Mobile and they said "no" what in the world do you hope to accomplish to asking on these boards? We don't have any power at T-Mobile! :confused:

18. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

That's for classic plan, for value plan it's 10 a month for 2gb, I'm on value and pay 20 for 5 gigs and 5 for tethering

19. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

Value plan is only for individual vs classic plan for families, right?

20. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

How much do you plan to use the phone for talking and text?

I have a T-mobile micro-SIM card in an unlock iPhone 4. It has voice and text, but no data. It is a pre-paid plan. I just add refill cards as I need them.

If you start off by putting $100 on your account, everything after that lasts for a year.

If you just want an iPhone 5 and no data, this may be the way to go for you.

If you really want to go with T-mobile, you might want to check out Walmart's Family Talk plan. It is a Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) that uses T-mobile's network. I think it is something like $40 a month for unlimited talk and text and 500GB of 3G data (no 4G LTE). You have to buy the phone outright, but there is no contract involved.

----------

One other suggestion, if you are going to pay full price for an iPhone, I suggest going to Apple to buy it so that you get an unlocked phone.

It will be easier to sell in the future if you do that.

21. rockitdog macrumors 68020

I have a friend who also has an iPhone (3GS) and has no data plan on tmobile.

I would think it you cut your micro sim down to the size of a nano sim it would work in the iPhone 5 and you could continue on your current (odd) path with tmobile.

22. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

No are plan which is on value plan has 5 lines

23. pixelwix macrumors member

pixelwix

so many things wrong with this thread. since i'm a t-mobile employee ill shed some light on this.

1 you can buy an iPhone from any t-mobile corporate owned location without getting a data package.

2 if you have a classic plan and are at least months since the last upgrade on that specific line you can do what know as a "bridge to value" (which is a $20 reduction in price for that line. $5 of the line charge and $15 of the data package) since you save $20 you can break that iPhone down into payments and keep your bill the same.

3 you can do a bridge to value with out a data package, you only save $5 for the line. you bill will increase by $15 since the monthly payment for the iphone is $20

4 value plans are 9/10 going to beat any plan you have, unless your one some really old grandfathered plan that is absurdly cheap..

5 you can still do contract plans with discounts on iPhone in targets, walmarts, sams clubs etc, and in Washington dc, this however requires a data package.

hope this helps.

24. oaktree macrumors regular

There it is!

25. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

When I converted, ATT -> TMo.

I took my iPhone 5. Got a nano SIM kit. Setup the basic $50/500 plan.

But didn't have any data.

Went into a store, and they told me data hadn't been added to me device, and they re set up the baseic $50/500 plan correctly again.

I don't know how you get into that state of no data, but somehow I was there for like 2 days.