iPhone 5 without LTE option?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SwisströM, Oct 8, 2012.

1. SwisströM macrumors newbie

Hello,

I bought an iPhone 5 in Switzerland (my country), but it doesn't seem to have the "turn off LTE" option in General --> Cellular.

I know we don't have an LTE network yet (it's in test and it will be ready for the end of the year in the major cities), but how is this possible? Apple has made a customized version of iOS 6 just for us? Or the phone automatically detect the absence of a LTE network and hide the option??

2. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

I'm guessing for your model it doesn't have the lte signal yet but the chip is definitely there and its just a plain ios 6. but when your carrier starts rolling out 4g then it might turn on

3. SwisströM thread starter macrumors newbie

It's possible, I just hope the terrible battery life is not this chip's fault.

4. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

I have heard of some iPhones not having an LTE options. Mostly in areas where LTE wasn't available yet, if you think you have an issue, go to the nearest apple or carrier and ask about it.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its most likely part of your carriers configuration file.
    It turns off that feature cause you dont have that available there yet.
    When it is they will push a carrier update to enable it.
    Some carriers disable certain things in the options with their config files such as tethering allowed or not allowed. If you have to pay extra for a tethering package or your data plan doesnt include it etc...
    Also Facetime over cellular data option. Thanks AT&T:rolleyes:

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I think its a matter of it being hidden because the network isn't available. It would also make sense that earlier iPhones wouldn't have that option either. Once I updated to a shared data plan I now see a Personal hotspot toggle when I didn't before without downloading a new OS.