iPhone 5 won't deliver 21st

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by flynpoke, Sep 13, 2012.

1. flynpoke macrumors newbie

According to the Apple Store rep I spoke to today, preorders will be shipped on the 21st, not delivered on opening day like years past. I hope that is incorrect, but they (apple) consistently are using the term "shipped" not "delivered" like every other time I have preordered from Apple. Watch what it says when you are preordering. It might change how you plan on getting a 5 next Friday.

2. rman726 macrumors 6502

I was wondering that too. The best thing to do would just be to wait until tomorrow morning and see what it says when you try to buy it... If it still says ships on the 21st, I may pass on the preorder. It does no good to ask representatives who likely know nothing though...

3. theking79 macrumors 6502

That apple store rep you spoke to hasn't got a clue and knows as much as we do.

We had this last year, they all delivered on release day and it will be the same this year.

Last year is said "ships by 14th october" (which was the 4s release date) and they all arrived on launch day.

4. flynpoke thread starter macrumors newbie

No, the difference is that every other time (iPad preorders included) they have always advertised the word delivered, not shipped. Even during the media event yesterday, they said shipping the 21st. We will see tonight.

5. theking79 macrumors 6502

No they haven't, the iPhone last year said "ships by" and that's a fact.

And "shipping the 21st" is just another way of saying "The phone comes out on the 21st," everyone knows this.

6. flipshot macrumors 6502a

Only in the UK and possibly some other countries it said Delivers by in the US.

7. thenobody macrumors member

Pre-orders often arrive the day before.
    Got my iphone 4 the day before was meant to be released

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Apple reps are clueless. Every time Apple has pre-sold anything, be it an OS, iPod, iPad, iPhone they have always delivered on launch day. They only time they deliver after launch day is after the first pre-order batch has sold out.

9. BFW122083 macrumors 6502

This is what I'm worried about. Last year they made it clear that the 4s will deliver on the same date as launch. This year they are saying ships. I'm wondering if Fed Ex is getting tired of these demands to get these apple products delivered all on the same day every launch. My gut is telling me they won't ship until the 21st.

10. MacChinoNyc macrumors 6502

Wont it say expected delivery by when you order it online? I've never ordered from the apple store but am now having 2nd thoughts.

11. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

They ALWAYS say "ships on". Go back and watch an old keynote.

12. theking79 macrumors 6502

what are you talking about? your just making stuff up now.

it WILL get delivered on launch day

13. MacPod macrumors member

That's incorrect. The last two pre-orders used the terminology "ships", not "delivers". I know this because I've always found it concerning and instead bought my iPhones at the Apple Stores to not miss out.

Somewhat ironically, this time I'm not going to freak out if it actually leaves Apple on Friday to arrive on Saturday (or Monday), but I know it won't. I'm 100% certain it will deliver some time between Wednesday and Friday, with only a slight chance for Saturday delivery in case of bad luck (but not because it didn't leave Apple's warehouse until Friday).

The Apple rep you talked to doesn't know anything about the shipping that the rest of us don't. That person was reading into the terminology and making the same mistake the rest of us have done.

14. BFW122083 macrumors 6502

I hope you're right. I'm not the only one who feels a little strange about it though. There weren't threads about this the other years. I remember them showing delivered on their site instead of shipped in the past.

15. 7even macrumors 6502a

Yes it will. If you can pick it up in-store at 8 AM as advertised, preorders should arrive the same day.

16. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

I wish one of the tech sites (the verge, wired etc) would get confirmation on this from apple PR.

17. Orien macrumors regular

Orien

They will be delivered the 21st. There is no question about it.

18. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I just idly flipped through some old threads and this question has come up for at least the 4S, 4, and 3GS launches, and we all know how those turned out. Hopefully this will be the same way.

19. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I'm pretty sure it's gonna be like previous releases and the phone will be delivered on release day.

20. krazykorean macrumors newbie

krazykorean

It will arrive the day of 21st, why would they do pre-orders so you can get your device later then the people waiting the release date.

All my items have arrived the day of release, one actually came a day early then the release date.

21. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

From my confirmation email.

/thread

22. cfairbank macrumors 6502

iPhone 5 64GB Black & Slate (GSM), AT&T

Available to ship: Delivers 9/21

Ditto

23. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Was just about to post same thing. So pumped right now for the 21st. :D

24. dave006 Contributor