iPhone 5 wrapped in moist Cloth....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sean4123, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Sean4123 macrumors 6502

I went to an amusement park today and thought I was being smart by having my iPhone held in my mother in laws purse.

Well just my luck, she decides to put a wet glove in there as well after our young niece went on a wet ride.

Apparently I have the worst luck in the world because the glove must have wanted to make love to my phone because when we pulled it out of the purse an hour later, the sunglass cloth/holder was really wet and my phone was inside.

I pulled it out and everything seems to be working fine, but I want to make sure my phone didn't get water damage. The sunglasses cloth seems to have soaked up most of the water but I can't be sure.

My girlfriend said I was overreacting when I got a little upset.... Wow.

2. jester0723 macrumors regular

If your phone still works why are you upset? If it was broken I could see getting mad but at this point...

3. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

your girlfriend sounds like she needs a falcon punch.
    it should be fine, i think the water damage stickers are in the phone and not accessible? maybe someone else can confirm where they are?

4. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

You would be fine. Water would have actually had to get into the phone to cause damage. I get water on my phone all the time and it's fine. Relax.

5. Sean4123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Because I've seen phones with water damage work for the rest of the day, only to find the phone not turn on the next day.

Sometimes It takes hours for the water to seep into the motherboard.

That and me being super protective of a $750 phone (retail) only to have a damn .50cent glove get water all over it (after I told her mom to just throw the glove away) I was pretty pissed.

----------

I don't know if any water got into the phone or not. Like I said, it was sitting in her purse, inside of a sunglasses cloth holder, with a wet glove soaking all over the phone.

I think the only thing that saved my phone was the sunglasses cloth.

6. bgro macrumors 6502a

Take it to the apple store, make up a problem and have them exchange it. If they refuse because of water damage then sell it on Craigslist and repurchase a new one. Otherwise they'll exchange it and u can rest easy.

7. jester0723 macrumors regular

It's just a phone - yelling at your mother in law (slash girlfriend's mother?) for something that might have damaged your phone seems a little irrational. If it breaks then we know who's liable and then you can work on destroying your personal relationships :D

If you're really concerned, you would have turned it off and left it in rice for 24 hours just in case. But regardless, it's just a phone. Maybe consider a case that would help protect it. There's a video from Android Authority where they poured an entire cup of hot coffee on an iPhone and it was fine. After the 15 second submersion test, not so much :rolleyes:

8. Sean4123 thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't yell at anyone bro.

I'm pretty sure my phone is fine. I just wanted to see if anyone knew an easy way to check for water damage. I know its just a phone.

9. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

Easy water damage sticker to trip is behind the sim door, and below in the headphone port too.

10. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

I don't trust anyone else with valuable stuff--people do careless things to other people's property, even family members.

11. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Look in the headphone port and see if the water damage sensors have been tripped. You should be fine! I have had to deal with leaving my old iPhone 4 (then new) with my girlfriend at Castles and Coasters before, and the phone is still fine, and I still sold it for a good price to buy my 5 :). Though yes, I would try to keep my phone out of other people's hands as much as possible.

12. Sean4123 thread starter macrumors 6502

For sure. I learned a valuable lesson today.

I guess I just figured she would be careful with it considering they know how happy I was to get the new one. She didn't even apologize.

13. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

They've added a few more... One of them like I stated above...

14. Sean4123 thread starter macrumors 6502

I assume it'd have to be submerged rather than just absorbing water to trip those right?

15. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Who the hell puts their iPhone into someone else's purse?

I have very simple rules for keeping my iPhone safe.

If your iPhone is not in your hand, it's in your pocket.

If your iPhone is not in your pocket, it's in your hand.

The only exception is if it is on the charger at home.

Never EVER do you set it down on a table at a restaurant or bar.

Never EVER do you ask someone else to take care of it for you.

16. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

Just like any of them.. Moisture and humidity can do it from even being in your pocket next to your sweaty... Body..

17. iPhone Swag macrumors newbie

It really isn't that serious.

18. RocketMan76 macrumors member

You went full retard "bro". You never go full retard.

Also, always purchase "precious" items with a credit card with damage/loss/theft protection. I never buy any of my gear with anything other than my platinum AMEX. Gives me 90 days full refund if I damage, lose, or get my stuff stolen up to $1000.

19. taedouni macrumors 65816

Don't criticize your girlfriend's mother by being cheap an reckless for keeping a wet glove in her purse, criticize yourself for being cheap and reckless for not renting a locker.

20. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

next time put it in a zip lock freezer bag and put in your pocket if you don't have a water proof case. The Switcheasy case has plugs for the ports that are open. The main one that you should worry about getting wet is the USB/thunder port. You can get a drop on that connector and damage it.

21. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

My 4s went in the pool with me. It was totally submerged. After it dried out, it worked 100%, so I think you're in good shape.

22. Josh220 macrumors regular

The real problem here is that you let someone else carry your phone...

To make matters worse, you let them carry it in their purse... Have you ever seen what women carry in their purses? Scuffgate will be dwarfed!

23. Monssef macrumors member

Today I was in the toilet and splashed some pee in my phone then I took a dump and the paper fail right in the glass so now my iPhone is full of pee and **** what should I do?
    Anybody can just open up a thread for some stupid story. What a waist of my 2 min.

24. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Hey now, I actually set up my purse so my phone stays nice and cushioned in it and also doesn't move around (my purse is just big enough to carry what I need without extra space). So it actually gets cushioned if my purse falls (never had a phone even get dented or chipped or anything from my purse falling though I always have to check when it happens. Hell, I've had my purse and phone on my motorcycle when I've dropped the motorcycle, completely fine <- though lucky it was on a tank bag rather than on one of the side bags that it fell on ;) ). Oh, and I put it in a case and now that I have a wallet with a metal thingy on it I try to remember to always face the wallet away from the phone and the phone's screen away from the wallet (if I forget one of those rules hopefully if I remember the other that will save the screen from being rubbed on by the metal piece).

The only iffy thing about it being in my purse is I do have a little bottle of hand sanitizer (that also is packed in so it's not moving much either though. And facing up. But it does bug me some that it's in there even though I've never had a problem with it opening up in my purse).