iPhone 5 Yellow tint

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FooArk, Sep 25, 2012.

1. FooArk macrumors 6502

Just got mine... the blue looks purple. I compared it to my iPhone 4 and its definitely different. Is this something intended given the new colors of the screen or is it a screen defect?

2. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

It's intended. Compared to the 4S, it is the same (with more color saturation). Compared to the iPhone 4, yes it has a "yellow" tint, but this is intentional.

3. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

As has been discussed in countless other threads already, iPhone screens can vary in color temperature. Sounds like yours is rather warm if the blue looks purple.

I would say it's technically not a defect unless the color temperature shifts from one end of the screen to the other. However, others have had success in getting their phones replaced if the temperature is not to their liking.

The other option is to wait until the phone is jailbroken and install an app that allows you to recalibrate the monitor.

4. simply stunning macrumors regular

I would say the difference from the 4 to the 4S is where the color change was. Then the 4S and 5 look the same to me.

When I first got my 4S I almost took it in to get it replaced because it bothered me so much. then I got busy at work, and forgot about it. I had given the old 4 I had to my wife, and after getting used to my 4S it bugged me to no end going back to the 4 because it looked wrong.

All that to say, it is all about what you are used to, and I would give it about a week to see if you change your mind, and if not, then try taking to in to get it swapped out.

That is just what I would do though.

5. MrNase macrumors member

Up to what degree? A friends iPhone 5 shows signs of yellow in anything that's grey (control bars etc.)
    Compared to my iPhone 4 it is definitely yellow but without the direct comparison it is barely noticeable.

6. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

I have the yellow tint. However it doesn't make my blue look purple. Just a slight off blue. It's only noticeable when I am in Safari browsing because of the white background but not too bad. I have a nick on my phone as well, bottom right and decided to keep it anyway. I don't want to bother driving back and forth and dealing with the exchange and re-download all my apps, iCloud stuff, etc etc..

7. Jasonh85 macrumors newbie

so is this normal or not? why does it vary with different screens? surely calibration is the same across all screen manufacturers?

8. TheGateKeeper macrumors newbie

Some people have left there phones on full brightness overnight and it apparently improves it.

9. user53 macrumors newbie

I have already been in to replace mine because of the yellowish screen. The first replacement was just as bad and it had chips missing. The second one (done at the same time) still has a yellow screen, though not as bad as the first. I would agree that most will get use to it. However I have a retina ipad where everything looks normal. As in the whites actually look white instead of a yellowish grey so I am never getting use to it. Personally the other colors even look more washed out too. I am keeping it for a couple of weeks to a month before trying again. It seems the entire batch of replacement phones all have the yellowish tint. A coworker had his iphone delivered today straight from china on monday and his looks fine. If you put the brightness setting at 100% the whites will look white. Just kinda crappy that on a lot of phones you have to crank the brightness up full blast in order for whites to look white and not yellowish grey.

10. ProMod macrumors 6502a

Any chance these are black 32GB Verizon models?

11. user53 macrumors newbie

12. ProMod macrumors 6502a

There is no method to the madness, then. I've seen several 16GB black AT&T's in store that have excellent displays.

13. user53 macrumors newbie

But did you check the brightness levels. I agree that it is random and just dumb luck if you get one. But while waiting in the Apple stores the displays seemed fine. Until I checked the brightness and lowered it down. If I have mine at 100% then it looks fine, whites are white. But any lower than 95% and the yellowish green takes over. The ones in the store did as well. Not as bad as my first one, but very noticeable.

But since I have seen some that are good from coworkers I know they exist. I am going to give it a month at let stocks cycle a couple of times and try exchanging again. I do know we can fix it ourselves when a jailbreak comes out, but you should not have to jailbreak it when I can not think of a good reason not to have an advanced display setting where users can change the color profiles themselves. I would have though by now and the complaints on this year after year that they would just include it. It would save a lot of time and money with their stores not having to constantly deal with people and constantly replacing phones

14. kalexn macrumors 6502

15. ProMod macrumors 6502a

I didn't turn the brightness down, but I know what you're saying. There does seem to be a large fall off at anything less than 100%.