iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by benji21, Jun 5, 2012.

1. benji21 macrumors member

Anyone have any *news* on when Apple will be considering releasing the iPhone 5? will it be either this month or October? thing is, my contract with my current phone provider expires next month and I will be able to upgrade - just not wanting to stay with my current provider till October (if Apple are releasing the iPhone 5 in that month)

Thanks..

2. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    There is a tremendous amount of information regarding this topic that is easily discoverable through searches. Please consider that in the future.

Regarding your question. There is probably a 1% chance of the next iPhone being released this month. It will nearly certainly be Sept/Oct.

3. emacna1 macrumors regular

Why? Previous iPhone launches have been:

6/07
    7/08
    7/09
    6/10
    10/11

Besides history, there are only rumors to go by. Why are you nearly certain about a 9/12 or 10/12 release?

4. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

So many reasons.

1) the iPhone 4S was released in October. An 8 month release cycle is very unlikely for Apple. Especially when the 4S is selling so well.

2) ALL rumors indicate a fall launch of the next iPhone. I mean all of them. Not a single indicator of a June launch. This includes no signs of production ramp up

3) We haven't even seen a preview of iOS 6 yet. All previous new iPhones have always been released with the new OS. This will be previewed next week and won't be released for approx 3 months (going with history) after previewed

Ask anyone who is knowledgable about Apple and they will tell you the iPhone will not release in June. Of course ANYTHING is possible hypothetically which is why I left the miniscule possibility of 1%

5. emacna1 macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. For #2, what rumors indicate a fall launch? It makes sense that there are indicators for not a June launch, but what says fall? What about July and August?

6. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

No iOS6 builds being seeded to developers yet is the biggest indication of a fall launch. If they preview it at WWDC, expect it to be in devs hands shortly thereafter. Assuming that is the case, and going by past history, ~3 months before the GM, and then the launch of the new hardware. It all lines up perfectly with a September/October launch.

7. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

I just read that apple won't be releasing a new model because there's just to many speculations on what it's going to be about. :rolleyes:

8. emacna1 macrumors regular

I could be wrong, but isn't the newest version of iOS always (or the majority of the time) announced at WWDC? If so, then how does that line up with history?

9. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

you are wrong. Last year was the first time (and then the iPhone 4S was released in October). In the past they have been around march/April.

10. emacna1 macrumors regular

Ok thanks. Did they used to have like an announcement a few months before WWDC then? Or did they just release info online?

11. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

I'm not really sure if there have been any supply/production indicators directly targeting the Sept/Oct, but there have certainly been a lack of indicators right now, making June/July very unlikely. But there have been plenty of other sources, rumors, etc which point to the sept/Oct timeframe. Sure not a certainty, but when there's so much smoke typically there is fire.

August I would argue is plausible, but extremely unlikely. Firstly that would only give 2 months for iOS 6 beta, it would create a 10 month release cycle instead of the typical 12. It just would be very rushed.

----------

They had an event.

12. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Here we go, with the 6,378 posting about when the next iphone will be released. Just scroll down and review the few dozen threads from the past few weeks asking the same thing. You will also find lots of information about what the device will look like, do, and how well it makes toast.

13. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

You are 100% wrong. In fact, last year was the only time, and the 4S dropped in October. It will be the same thing this year. Could I be wrong and Apple stuns everyone with an iPhone announcement? Sure! And I hope I am wrong. But I highly doubt it. I'd say there is less then a 5% chance of that happening. September is about the earliest, and October being more likely.

14. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

Wait a few days and know rather than speculate on things you only THINK you know about.