iPhone 5C & 5S - Manchester Trafford Centre - UK

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by scb02, Sep 10, 2013.

1. scb02, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013

scb02 macrumors regular

[​IMG]

Keep Up-To-Date with opening times, car parking arrangements, entrance arrangements and other user arrangement and details for the 5C/5S launch at the Trafford Centre, manchester, UK in this thread!​

2. DavidWildJnr macrumors regular

DavidWildJnr

Looks like we have no choice but to queue as there are no 5s pre orders. I am a bit wary about the Trafford again. Last year everyone queued in an orderly fashion until around 7 then it turned into a free for all, resulting in a crowd pushing against the doors. The Trafford staff were pissed at us and the Apple shop. Not a pleasant experience.

Anyway last year the queue formed at the upstairs entrance nearest the Apple shop. All other queues were asked to move there around 7 am. Only this entrance was opened. Queueing started around 2 - 3 am. There were A LOT of scalpers in the crowd and it was these people who caused the issues and queue jumping.

Look at the thread in this forum for last year for any other info.

I might see you there.

3. scb02 thread starter macrumors regular

Been too all launches before at the trafford centre, which is probably why I will go there again, i get there before the doors open usually and I'm out within an hour.

Usually worth getting up stupidly early to avoid what you mentioned above!

4. DavidWildJnr macrumors regular

DavidWildJnr

iPhone 5S - Manchester Trafford Centre - UK

Is the Selfrifges entrance the upstairs one? How did you find the iPhone launch last year? I actually would prefer the Trafford as it is the nearest one to me. Did you drive?

5. scb02 thread starter macrumors regular

Last year was the worst so far, stock levels, the whole organisation, just everything was really poor.

Yup upstairs car park, straight through by the vending machines, in and turn left! Will be fully kitted this year, usually take just my iPhone, will be MBP and iPad this year, hopefully have free wifi!

6. scb02 thread starter macrumors regular

[​IMG]

As soon as I get anything back I will make sure I keep you guys informed of entrances and opening times!

7. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

HA! I read this thread, then thought I'd take to Twitter, saw intu's response to someone.. then saw your post here. It's you!

Just been reading last years posts of the iPhone 5 launch.. sounded horrid! But, hopefully this year will be better! It's gonna be my first time at Trafford (used to Arndale for every other launch)

8. DavidWildJnr macrumors regular

DavidWildJnr

Hopefully the new management might employ barriers or something, to structure the queue and therefore not end up with 300 people trying to push through one door.

9. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

Exactly! intu have quite a number of Centre's around the UK, so this won't be the first Apple Release they've had! Fingers crossed!

10. scb02 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah that's the plan, when they reply I have an email address for someone there so going to see if I can help assist and suggest things they may want to improve on. The 5 launch was the worst by far but then I think all the others have been fantastic, hopefully they don't want a repeat of last year either!

See you all there!

11. Totalkharnage macrumors 6502

Totalkharnage

I was at the iPhone 5 launch day last year and have to agree, it was one of the worst Apple queuing experiences I've had.

I had planned on going to the new Apple store in the Trinity Leeds centre although it's in city centre so parking will be a nightmare. It sounds like TC have new management so might keep an eye out to see if they announce any details beforehand about launch day arrangements and consider that.

12. scb02 thread starter macrumors regular

Just to update I'm in talks with the new management at TC about the issues last year and how they can rectify it and get this as smooth as possible.
    Any input is welcome guys.

TC is my only option as I'm from Blackpool so nothing else around here!

13. DavidWildJnr macrumors regular

DavidWildJnr

The only things I can suggest are

1 - identify the entrance to be used. Although most people did queue at the Selfridges entrance, the twitter account stated that all entrances would open early, this caused some people to be moved after queuing for some time at other entrances.

2 - partition the area in front of the doors into a manageable queue, when the staff tried to open the doors last year, they were faced with a crowd pushing forward, crushing the people in front. There was also a sprint finish from the door to the internal shop queue. Both of these issues could have been avoided if the queueing public had common sense and good manors, but both of these were sadly missing.

Unfortunately the behaviour of some people queueing last year caused the Centre staff to become abusive , and to ridicule to the waiting public. The blame however does lie with the minority of poor mannered customers.

14. R1chard macrumors newbie

Hi all just a few questions.. Is that car park open 24/7 (the one that leads on to selfridges) and what is the best time to get there in the morning ? Thinking 3 ish will be ideal for me ? Any idea of queue size at that time ?

Thanks ric

15. DavidWildJnr macrumors regular

DavidWildJnr

The car parks are closed overnight as a rule, however there is an Asda nearby and some barriers were left open (perhaps by mistake) for some of the car parks. I was there around 3AM last year and the queue was small.

16. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

You're doing a great job! Thanks for keeping us updated! I'm coming from Preston, so it's either Trafford or Arndale for me. [Swayed towards Trafford as we could get some shelter if it's raining.]

17. DavidWildJnr macrumors regular

DavidWildJnr

Just for info. The Trafford Centre and The Arndale are both operated by the same company (Intu).

18. scb02 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies. Car parks are shut overnight.

Last time they were opened I think at 4am, I maybe wrong. It's usually the Selfridges entrance that they use and I can;t see it being any different this year either.

There still waiting for Apple to finalise the details and will update on there twitter with the opening times etc, I am discussing with them also the management of the queue etc!

I'm from Blackpool so have about an hours trip either way so want to make sure it's all easy!

19. Rlong405 macrumors member

Liverpool isn't too far away from Manchester so that is always an option. That's where I was last year. Friendly and respectable fellow customers. And the staff gave us umbrellas not ridicule and abuse.
    The Liverpool 1 car park is open 24 hours too (although it is a little pricey given you'll be parking there for a number of hours)

20. DavidWildJnr macrumors regular

DavidWildJnr

Another option. Thanks :D

21. iolsi macrumors newbie

Going to TC release

I'm thinking of going to the TC launch, but I live in Wales (about 2 hours away). So getting there for 3 will mean starting at 1 and no sleep :eek: true dedication.
    Nube at going to the release, any tips and kindness would be welcome.:D
    Hope to see you all there!

22. scb02 thread starter macrumors regular

When I say 3 personally I mean I will be leaving Blackpool at 3 to arrive at 4, Pretty sure the store usually opens between 4-5, and then the Apple store a few hours after that, I need to get back early though as I fancy some beers as it's Friday!

23. KrisGoodier macrumors newbie

Ive not attended a launch at an Apple Store before, Ive usually just gone to my local O2 store in my small town of Northwich. After checking with O2 staff, it appears they aren't releasing any SIM Free / PAYG 5s for quite a while, so it looks like I'll be joining some of you guys at TC on Friday :)

Thanks to SCB02 for starting this thread an giving me an idea of what to expect - reading the comment above is what I was hoping not to see, but I guess there are always going to be some people who go against having manners, patience and just enjoying the experience!

SCB02, did you hear anything else back after suggesting some ideas for the launch? Fingers crossed there will be enough supplies in store, but I plan on arriving around 3:30am, so I should be OK.
    Is the best Entrance going to be Selfridges, or upstairs nearest the Apple Store?

See you on Friday morning!! :D

24. scb02 thread starter macrumors regular

"Queuing system will take place on link bridge 3, peel Avenue near Selfridges on Friday morning"

"Queueing for the iPhone launch will be outside @TraffordCentre until Apple is open. We don't know when that will be. please come prepared."

Really not impressed with the way the new company is handling this not opening doors early in this weather!

Will continue to push for it!

25. DavidWildJnr macrumors regular

DavidWildJnr

No word on car parking either. The barriers went up at 7ish I think last year. Can anyone confirm this?

----------

Sorry 4am see above.