iPhone 5C/5S Meadowhall Thread

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by LastLine, Sep 10, 2013.

1. LastLine, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013

LastLine macrumors 65816

So looks like I'm off to Meadowhall on the 20th all being well (crossing fingers for the day off work!) Anyone else going? Anyone know what iPhone lines have been like in the past there?

2. Nullh, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013

Nullh macrumors newbie

I more than likely will be, due to the lack of pre-orders!
    Never been part of a launch day queue before, but I have seen the video where the queue is routed out of the fire exit next to the store.

3. LKN macrumors 6502a

From what time do the queues start in Meadowhall?

Im dont want to go night before say 10pm thursday but if i came about 4-6am Friday morning and queued up would i miss out?

4. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

I can't imagine Meadowhall will open up much before 6am. I'm hoping someone will confirm. To be fair I don't expect to have to be there early early, but I'm hoping someone who's been to a previous launch may confirm some ideas for us?

5. LKN macrumors 6502a

I have read the iphone 5 thread for meadowhall seems people were queuing from 10pm day before also parking gates shut at meadowhall. Queues start from the entrance where Subway/Yorkshire bank entrance. Apple open doors at 6am and lead you through to side of shop where fire exit is and give a ticket for phone you want.

Im not sure how big queue will be but id say come between 2am - 4am. If the queue is too big then leave it lol but if ur say 20-25 in queue then id queue. Not sure how much stock they getting.

6. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

Last year there was a queue just to get in the shop if I recalled. The shop was packed. It was around 1-2pm on launch day.

7. BigMovieGeek macrumors regular

I was there last year. I rolled up at a out 3am and I was about 150th in line. The queue got to a crazy length at around 6am. It was moving quick once the store opened though, I got out at around 9:30.

8. LKN macrumors 6502a

Where did you park are the car parks open? Im guessing the Argos/Next car parks are open for parking then just walking to the queue?

Also was the queue at the entrance where Subway/Yorkshire bank entrance is. Oncedoors open at 6am, was there any pushing etc?

Im assuming the iphone 5 was a huge launch because it was a new design, iphone 5s is a small upgrade so those with a 5 might not want a 5S so this year queue wont be as big.

I might be wrong but by this Friday we will know once we roll up at Apple store at 2-3am

9. Smog macrumors regular

Last year I queued for the 5. Got there about 2/3 and I was about 100th - 150th in the queue. Had to queue outside, but then as said, we were moved inside and down the fire exit about 6am. I was near the door out to the car park at this point, but by 8am, they were queuing all the way to the boots entrance along the car park.

Tickets were issues for your desired model/capacity.

10. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

Any idea how their stock was? I mean did the people at boots get what they wanted? :p

My wife's disabled and pregnant. I could camp outside, but I hardly expect her to :) I wanna know if I can turn up at 7am and be reasonably safe of getting what I'm after :)

11. Smog macrumors regular

In short, they couldn't even get what they didn't want at the back of the line. Apple sold out, but if I remember rightly, they had around 100-150 of each variant But that varied. Eg, they had more 16gb than 64. Then obviously they had the same amount in each colour.

I'd say, if the demand was as strong as last year, even with three more variations due to the new colour on the 5S, you may well struggle to get a 5S at 7am.

Then again, I have a feeling with not such a massive redesign, as well as some potential buyers queuing for the 5C on launch, it could be possible. It's hard to tell really, but if you do get there at 7, don't expect to be leaving until around 11 at the earliest if its as busy as last year

12. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the info. Definitely handy to know. I think I might pop along earlier than 7, see how the queue is (assuming I can get in to park:confused:) and make a call then. I can always drive home and order online :p

13. Bendy Walker macrumors regular

Bendy Walker

I'm gonna be queuing up. Wasn't sure what time to arrive, but this has answered my question. Looks like I need to go very early! Gonna be going solo, so if someone wants to trade details to meet up there or whatever, that would be cool. Would certainly make the wait more bearable.

14. relizabethfox macrumors newbie

Parking

Hi
    I was wondering where people were planning on parking if they arrive at 3 or 4 ish as I know meadowhall shuts there main car park. Do they shut all of there car parks

Thanks

15. domcole macrumors regular

A lot of you asking so here you go...

The Apple store will open at 8am on Friday 20 September, the Red and Yellow car parks which are the closest to the store will be kept open for customers who wish to come earlier. Queuing will usually be outside the doors near the Yorkshire bank which will open a little earlier than normal. If the weather conditions are not good the Duty manager may advise that the doors are opened earlier for customers but that decision will not be made until that morning.

I'll probably be sat on the floor with my MBA, see you all there ;)

16. Bendy Walker macrumors regular

Bendy Walker

You sound pretty familiar with all this, domcole? What time will you be getting there this year?

And maybe this is a slightly dumb question, but what if you need the toilet whilst queuing? Just gotta grin and bear it? :p

17. Smog macrumors regular

I'll see you there too! Yeah I parked my car pretty close to the doors last year, but is hound be there around midnight if all goes well. Just hope the rain holds off this year #

18. bladesman95 macrumors newbie

I've never been to an iPhone release before. I'm not too sure how it works but I'm planning on getting there between 2 and 3 in the morning. Bringing a friend too so I don't get bored lol

19. domcole macrumors regular

No idea yet!

I've never been to a launch myself (I managed to get that info from somebody senior from Meadowhall), I think Smog went to last years launch so maybe he can help you with that.

Nice one fella. Me too, hopefully duty management will come up with a solution to keep us dry if the weather turns bad!

See you there.

Going to be really interesting to see what the turn out is like. It's going to be busy either way...no new phone (just a refresh) so maybe not the amount of people compared to the 5 launch, but no preorders either so that could make it a little busier than usual!

Edit: Forgot about the 5c. Who's going for what phone/color combo? I'm hoping to get a 5s white/champagne 16gb. Got a feeling this is going to sell out the quickest.

20. Smog macrumors regular

Generally, the people in the queue are pretty reasonable. I've been to every launch, (even though 2 were at O2 strores, and everyone has been ok in terms of letting people go to the toilet.

Also, the meadowhall security let people go pay a visit if they needed to, so that was nice or them

21. Bendy Walker macrumors regular

Bendy Walker

Oh that's good, then. I'll get there as early as possible, then! I don't mind waiting all night; the only thing I was concerned about is needed the toilet two hours. That would be no fun :p

I'll see some of you later 'tonight' then, I guess! :D

22. Grim-up-north macrumors member

I got there at about 4:30 last year and finally got out at around 11:00.

When it rained last year, apple opened up another store and purchased some umbrellas for people, which were freely handed out.

I'm aiming to get there about 5am this year and not expecting to leave any earlier than 11:00

23. lc25 macrumors 6502

I'm at work around the corner and will pop down around 12ish in the hope of walking in to grab a 64 5s in in black without the need to stand in line all morning...

Going to try online first tho, can some update the thread who's going to let me know how busy it is ?

24. Grim-up-north macrumors member

I don't think you will have much chance of just walking in and collecting a phone at 12. They may be sold out by then, plus still expect to wait in line at that time.

When I left at 11:00am last year, there were still a few hundred people in line.

25. Bendy Walker macrumors regular

Bendy Walker

So you reckon if I get to Meadowhall for 12:30 AM, I should get the phone I want 16 GB, Black, 5s?