iPhone 5C - Alternative Idea - Iphone Colour for all spec iPhones.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Piggie, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Something has been on my mind and I'd welcome your views on it.

The general talk seems to be, Apple will make metal Iphones as normal, perhaps with a higher spec champagne model and they will be the top end/latest spec model. (iPhone 5s or iPhone 6)

Then there will be the scratch resistant plastic cased model in say 5 bright colours (smooth rounded edges) but this will house a lower spec version of the iPhone and will be cheaper

That seems to be the current view of what's going to happen.

BUT....

Is there not a problem and might we all be wrong?

What if a lot of consumers actually (whilst not wanting to admit it, and lets face it may well be into looks and fashion) actually prefer the smoother more comfortable to hold and bright coloured model?
    What if they want the latest iPhone but also want the nice new colour option?

Apple WILL show off how damage resistant the new phone is, and we all know how damage prone the Aluminium models are, needing a case etc.

Apple are not dumb (well that's open to debate sometimes on some issues)

So.

Do you think this has crossed their mind that they MAY be producing a product that MAY get a demand higher than they anticipate and in reality and away from forums, people are not so anal about metal is great, plastic is junk.

Might we be wrong here?

Might Apple be offering the Plastic colorful option as an OPTION to the range of iPhones?

There will be the very latest iPhone in Plastic as well as Aluminium so people who want the best model can have it with the colour, smooth to hold case also.

This 5c will not only be the cheaper version, it will be an alternative version to all the specc'd models.

Apple won't want people wanting the colour over the tech and this could happen.
    Everyone here always says the specs are not important to average people.

So perhaps the colours and lack of case needed will be more important to many people than having the latest specs.

If you were in charge at Apple would you not consider this, and think.
    "You know what, we may have a winner here, people may love it. We better make sure out customers can buy any model iPhone, with the new case material. We don't want the cheaper model destroying the aluminium model for the average consumer"

Do you think this could be the case? Everyone is wrong and the iPhone Colour will not only be a cheap one, but an across the range case option for those who prefer it?

2. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Wow, almost 600 views and no-one has a thought on this as a possible option?

As I say, if many find the "user experience" of a lower spec iPhone as fine, but adores the colour and feel of the plastic one, then it will be a problem.

Perhaps the new colour back may be an option across the whole range and not just a cheap only model

3. apple-pride macrumors member

I mean what's the point if you're just gonna put a case on it anyway. I'm not poor so I'm not really interested in the iPhone 5 Cheap.

4. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

What has rich or poor got to do with it if you like the feel and colour of the other model?

Perhaps you won't need the case as it's not so fragile to damage, so more people will be able to enjoy uncased iPhones and be happier.

It's nothing to do with "poor"

5. swish2351 macrumors 6502

No, any phone that is colored is nothing I would consider spending a penny on. I don't even think I'd buy white, DEFINITELY not gold. Many people don't want colors. I just want a working phone, not a flashy "fashion statement". I don't want people to look at me and judge me if I pull a bright blue iPhone out of my pocket

The colored models are meant towards:
    • People at a younger age (8 - 14) who want an iPhone but parents don't want to pay $200 + a contract
    • Emerging markets like China, India, South America, ect.

----------

Also, in my house, there are 3 iPhone 5, and 1 iPhone 4S (I held back, waiting for the 5S)... None of us have cases, and none of our phones have been damaged. Cases are not necessary, the back of the iPhone 5 is nearly indestructible, and the design is pretty strong and well built

6. 617aircav Suspended

Op what you have mentioned is not possible. Apple will not offer the same phone in different casings. It's ludicrous to even think that they might. People don't want plastic phones.

7. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Well lets see if you are right when Apple don't sell any shall we.
    If as you say people don't want them.

Care to take a bet that no-one will want one (as you say) ?

8. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

As you boldly stated:

"People don't want plastic phones."

So let's see then tell us in perhaps a few months time that you are right and they have not sold an because as you said People don't want plastic phones.

9. 617aircav Suspended

People will not buy a cheaper looking and feeling plastic iPhone over an aluminum iPhone at the same price. A cheaper plastic iphone, priced less than the aluminum, is what people will buy.

10. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Ah well I never said at the same price.

But you 'could' have the same phone with the option of the metal case of the colour plastic case.

Not saying it WILL happen, just that Apple could offer the same spec with 2 price points. using the different construction

11. 617aircav Suspended

Ok.

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

What is that supposed to mean?