iPhone 5C cracks in plastic?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Caris, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Caris, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013

Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

Does anyone think this could be a issue? I'm really tempted with a white 5C but the 3G/3GS' had a real problem with the plastic splitting and cracking.

Am I right in thinking this is the same material as them? Are they manufactured different? I'm holding off buying one but I don't know if I'm just overreacting or not.

2. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Just curious ... why do you want a 5C ? You are honestly the first person I heard of that wants one.

3. Gincoma macrumors 6502

Seriously??? Definitly not the first Im a newb here and see quite a few people that bought it or want it

4. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't bother. I got white one today and apart from being very slippery, sim tray is very flimsy and the sleep wake button works about 20% of the time unless you press very hard. Not impressed and back it goes. 5S ordered last night anyway and expected early Oct.

5. jwjsr macrumors 6502

jwjsr

6. meeks macrumors regular

manufactured. hes prolly typing on the iPhone and the auto correct kicked in without him noticing it.

7. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

8. HenryDJP macrumors 603

That's interesting because everything you say about the 5C is completely opposite from what the reviewers experienced. I've read the plastic is not only extremely solid and sturdy but it has a very nice grip with no slip. All buttons working perfectly.... Ok.

9. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I was in line today and talked to quite a number of people. I couldn't find anyone who was trying to get it. There was a camera crew also looking for someone. They asked the entire line (few hundred people) and couldn't find a single one looking for it.

10. Aneres11 macrumors 6502a

Caris as in N-Europe Caris?! Well hey there. :p

Also, you need to buy one. They're great phones. Got mine today in blue. Check out the pics thread I started here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1641031

Small world. Well, digital world. ;)

11. cogrady84 macrumors member

What tit stands in a queue of hundreds to purchase a phone that has been available for pre-order for a week? Stocks are plentiful, everyone knows this :confused:

12. mclix macrumors newbie

And I've met quite a few people who want or bought the 5c. Does not make my opinion fact just because I talked to people in line. Seems every poster here who does not like the 5s talked to everyone in line with this burning question.

Honestly you're just coming off as antagonistic. I bought an 5c because I like the look and feel of the phone and until the 6 or 6s, it didn't feel worth it to me to spend an extra 100 dollars on a phone. But that's just my own opinion.

As much as I enjoyed my 4s, I never liked the way felt in my hand.

13. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

3GS felt like it was hollow under the plastic in places... 5C feels like plastic coated over steel. Very solid feeling, and so freaking smooth its slippery.

14. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Exactly this. No one was waiting for a 5C because most people that wanted one probably already preordered. Other could just go in later in the day and probably pick one up. There IS a demand for them.

15. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Why don't you read how it is manufactured, or better still watch the promo video or many reviews on YouTube. Things have moved on since the 3G.

16. naughtynumber9 macrumors newbie

The 5C is made of polycarbonate plastic which is all but crack and shatterproof and is scratch resistant. It's also reinforced by steel. Cracking should be an anomaly on the 5C, even if abused. Below is a link to an article I found talking about the plastic used on the 5C -
    http://www.imore.com/even-apples-plastic-better-about-iphone-5cs-polycarbonate-back
    If you do get the 5C and someone tries to sell you a bridge, don't buy it. (couldn't resist, sorry ; ) Hope that helps!

17. MJD Dawg macrumors 6502

Junction of the Pacific, Juan de Fuca & NA Plates
    Went to my local Apple store today and played with the 5C. The fit and finish seems up to Apple standards.

Will it crack? Who knows, but it doesn't feel anymore sturdy or solid than other plastic phones.

And as mentioned by others, I found it extremely slippery. I'm really surprised that Apple would make it this slippery as given the colored shell, I'm guessing that many will not rock a case with this phone.

18. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Are there any hardware or functionality differences between the 5c and the 5s, other than the body itself (metal vs plastic)?

19. lucas123 macrumors member

5c definitely feels slippery in hand.
    This is the one that needs a nice leather case.

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Very much so. Check out the tech specs.

21. donnaw macrumors 65816

I don't have an iphone. But I do have a Nokia 920. I'm pretty sure the polycarbonate Apple used is either the same or possibily better than my 920. I've had mine for 11 months. I can tell you that it has held up perfectly.

Not long after the 920s came out I read a post on WPCentral by a guy who dropped his phone on the driveway. It had a rather large scratch down the back and the corner was a bit crushed. The phone worked perfectly. He posted a video of how he fixed it.

First the color is all the way through. His video showed him lightly sanding the scratch on the back and sanding the dented corner down. (Unlike your new phones the 920s have rather square corners). He then took a buffer and polished the phone. The scratch was completely gone and the only way you could see the damage on the corner was if you held it up and then you could see that he had sanded it down a bit so the shape was just a little different. He got the idea because he does car body work for a living. But anyone could do it.

If I were in the market for an iPhone I would have gotten a 5C. I think you all will be very pleased with how well it 'wears' (meaning I'm betting it never shows any wear). I do admit that mine was a little slippery so I had Ghost Armor put on mine. It's red so I chose the clear armor. Really helps with the slippery....

Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread. I'm just a bit excited about Apple going in this direction. I was never a fan of the past materials. IMHO a really well-made poly phone is the way to go. My daughter-in-law's contract is up in two weeks. I'm going to recommend the 5C to her. Blue I think....

Congrats on your new phones. It's refreshing to read so many positive posts, especially with the tone of the board these last few weeks.

22. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

one of the teardown sites tried to bend the plastic and they couldn't :apple:

23. Becact macrumors member

If anyone here has owned a Samsung galaxy or note, they'll be familiar with the slippery greasy feeling that those phones exhibit. I played with the 5Cs on display today and was completely surprised that they were not at all like that. I'm sure some major work went into getting the finish exactly right so it feels smooth, yet not greasy.

24. Gincoma macrumors 6502

Maybe demographics play a part who knows, 2 of my friends have the 5c and maybe pre-orders played a part

25. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

My dad just bought my 7 y/o daughter a blue 5C, and I think it's built very well. The plastic feels beautiful and It doesn't have ANY properties that are remotely similar to the 3G/3GS. I think it is a beautiful phone. I didn't think it would look and feel as good as it did. But, as someone mentioned above, it is a little slippery. So directly into a case it went.

You don't see many people around these forums or camping out for 5C's because other the housing, it's really a lateral move from the iPhone 5. All the fanatics (like myself) went with the 5S because it was the new flagship device.