iPhone 5c feels like slime.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ToroidalZeus, Sep 21, 2013.

1. ToroidalZeus, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013

ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Seriously. I don't understand how people can actually say it looks nice or doesn't feel cheap. I held it at the store and I was blown away with how nasty it felt. Like slime that wanted to drip out of hands. I'm so happy that the top model is still made of nice metal.

2. krazykleo macrumors regular

Why can't people understand that others will have DIFFERENT opinions/likes than everyone else.

Just because you didn't like it doesn't mine I won't.

Seriously sick and tired of a new thread with the same bs being created everyday lol

Either you like the 5c or don't. IMO, I like it. You don't. Simple as that. Now can we please all get along?

And remember your needs for a "better" built iPhone doesn't mean my needs are the same as well. I'm a student who doesn't care if he has the latest apple product or phone or whatever. I will use my phone for text/youtube/and taking pictures of class notes and music. lol so I don't need to go buy the 800$+ phone for that. And I sure don't need to buy the 5c either but I will because, IMO, i like it lol

3. tkmcguire1 macrumors 6502

tkmcguire1

The correct spelling is Slime
    And the 5c is a beautiful device,could be the one you held had already been touched by a 100 other people and had their dirty,greasy prints all over it?:eek:

4. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

What is too "slim"? The 5C is definitely slim, but its actually slightly thicker than the 5/5S. It's not so slim that it will actually slip from one's grasp though.

5. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

I don't understand how it's "slime." The back of the phone is polycarbonate. The front is glass. How is that slime? It's all flush and has a nice gloss of a finish... Not slime.

I believe if you don't like it you don't have to knock it by making stuff up. It's a nice fine and if it were an Android it would be a "high end" device. It just so happens people in this forum wants glass and metal. Which is nice and I've enjoyed it for a while myself, but the 5C is a nice device to hold me over until the iPhone 6

----------

Idk I thought he was trying to say slime but who knows cuz a phone can't feel like slime.

6. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

I feel stupid now… I didn't realize they meant "slime" not "slim". Must be the iPhone keyboard autocomplete messing up.

7. bhags8 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the thread man. None of us are going to buy it because you made a thread about it. We all bow down to you.

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

How can the 5C be slime that drips from your hands or is it that it glides off?
    Also, isn't slime sticky?

9. Spacial macrumors 6502

Perhaps your tactile experience is different from others. Everyone that I know who bought one, and that was several, all found the 5C to be as nice as I did. I greatly prefer it over the slab sided shape of my iPhone 5.

Yet I'm saving my upgrade for iPhone 6 next year. After four long years of recycling the same old thing, Apples bound to build something much better.

I'll be there to buy it.

10. user-name-here macrumors 65816

If it does then you simply need to wash your hands before getting a bunch of oil and grease all over it. The 5c feels like a well built smartphone for a normal person with clean hands.

11. ToroidalZeus thread starter macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

I mean I had no intention of buying a 5c when it was nearly identical to my 5 but I thought to myself. 'Hay, if I'm waiting to buy my 5s I might as well check out the 5c.' And I heard all the internet reviews praising how high quality it felt. Then I picked it up. My 1st impression was damn this is disgusting. It felt like polished PVC tubing. And then I tried holding the phone by the edges - like when placing a call - and right there was more plastic. It was so nasty. Idk maybe this is what the original iPhone adapters thought when Apple switched over to the 3G.

12. darkfiber macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

I was just at an Apple Store today here in Columbus, OH to check out the new iPhones. I handled the 5c and I thought it felt great in the hand. Certainly no worse than the 3G & 3GS felt (and those were plastic as well). The 5c felt and looked like a really solid quality device. It actually feels more comfortable than the 5s does because of the rounded edges.

I am buying a 5s because I want the better hardware features, but I think the 5c is still a really nice phone that many people would be happy with.

I swear people have short term memories and appear to have totally forgotten the iPhone 3G and 3GS. The 5c is a far better iPhone than those were in every way.

13. ToroidalZeus thread starter macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

I think the opposite is true. 5c feels like an indefinite amount of plastic on the sides. the beveled edges on the 5/5s give a tactile sense of position. You can feel the edges of the phone and you know were it ends.

14. tkmcguire1 macrumors 6502

tkmcguire1

Exactly what I said! He said he held one at the store,which was most likely a display model that dozens of other people had already held that day.
    I'm sure any phone that is held by that many people,especially on launch day would feel gross from everyone touching it.

15. aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

I'll take the "slime" over the cheap plastic on the galaxy or the htc anytime.

16. krazykleo macrumors regular

haha. I still have my 3GS from 4 years ago!! And honestly I felt that the 5c felt better than my 3GS (I've never babied my phone and it's really beat up to the point where its not been used to make calls for a year now). The 5c felt much smoother. Again, this is just my opinion.

17. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I picked one up yesterday and thought it felt quite solid. A lot better than I expected. Not at all like a plastic phone. More like triple clear coated PVC.

18. fender57 macrumors 6502

19. terrywfoster macrumors regular

Looked at one today myself, in a store. I'd not waste my money on it.

20. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Oh hey, another thread where someone bitches about how much they don't like the phone that have no intention on buying anyway.

21. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

I used one in the Apple store. Feels very cheap and heavy to me. Colors are awful too but that's a personal preference I guess.

22. MacMilligan macrumors 6502

Maybe wipe the snot off the display phone before handling it at the store? :p

23. MMM.PWR macrumors 6502

MMM.PWR

Are you allergic to plastic? Perhaps too good for it, it seems. :rolleyes:

Let me guess, you use a metal toothbrush as well, eh?

24. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

yet it seems his opinion shouldn't count?

why cant you tolerate his opinion?

look. he has a point. he probably went into the store, stumbled upon the plastic iphone which had been handled all day long by thousands of customers. for some reason, grease and sweat are much more evident in plastic than in a metal.

that is what he saw.

and the rest is all history. apple wanted to lower the cost of the iphone 5 because they had to sell it at a discount from now on. they ditched the aluminium and went for plastic. they told you a nice story about how they re-invented plastic and how their plastic is OK, but samsung's not so much. i mean, they had to. they knew apple fans have been playing the plastic card for years when it came to comparing the two phones.

and you bought their story. and thats fine! as long as you are happy you shouldnt let yourself get rattled with what others think.

25. ToroidalZeus thread starter macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

^ For the record I touched the phone at about 10 am. (I was #~160 in line and that was when I finally got inside)

But I do agree with the rest of your post. Apple hyped up how they reinvented plastic, media outlets spread the same message. In actuality it's the same-old.