Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Rumors have suggested the FBI employed Israeli mobile forensics firm Cellebrite to hack into the iPhone 5c used by San Bernardino shooter Syed Farook, but new information from The Washington Post suggests it was instead done with the help of "professional hackers" at least one of which is a "gray hat" researcher that sells flaws to governments, black market groups, or companies that create surveillance tools.

According to sources who spoke to The Washington Post, the hackers told the FBI about a previously unknown software flaw, which was used to "create a piece of hardware" the FBI used to access the phone via its passcode. The hardware in question allowed the FBI to guess the passcode through multiple attempts without erasing the iPhone.

iphone5c.jpg
The new information was then used to create a piece of hardware that helped the FBI to crack the iPhone's four-digit personal identification number without triggering a security feature that would have erased all the data, the individuals said.

The researchers, who typically keep a low profile, specialize in hunting for vulnerabilities in software and then in some cases selling them to the U.S. government. They were paid a one-time flat fee for the solution.
The method the FBI allegedly used to break into the iPhone is similar in description to the tool that it had requested from Apple. Before finding an alternate way into the iPhone, the FBI had demanded Apple create a new version of iOS that would disable the passcode security features built into the operating system.

Apple was ordered to give the FBI software to disable the erase feature that would have wiped the iPhone after 10 incorrect guesses, eliminate the time added between entry attempts after the wrong passcode was entered, and create a way for the FBI to enter passcodes into the device electronically instead of manually.

The FBI did not need the services of Cellebrite "in this case," according to The Washington Post's sources, despite evidence the FBI signed a $15,000 contract with Cellebrite on March 21, the same day the Justice Department asked the court to postpone its imminent hearing with Apple. The tool acquired from the hackers did end up letting the FBI access the phone, leading the case against Apple to be dropped.

The U.S. government has not decided whether the method used to break into the iPhone will be shared with Apple, but FBI director James Comey has said the tool used to access the iPhone only works on a "narrow slice of phones" that does not include the iPhone 5s and later. Apple does not plan to sue to obtain the information.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: FBI Used Security Flaw Found by 'Professional Hackers' to Crack San Bernardino Shooter's iPhone

Reactions: aaronvan

arggg14

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014
Or they used PhoneView, an app for Mac that allows one to view contacts, messages, photos, call history, etc without typing in the passcode.

Reactions: lyngo

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
For the whole story, now with some space-grey hacker I see Hollywood plan the next blockbuster movie. Project title: "Break me if you can. "
In your cinemas around WWDC in June
:D

Reactions: 5105973

vjl323

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2005
Western North Carolina
Or they used PhoneView, an app for Mac that allows one to view contacts, messages, photos, call history, etc without typing in the passcode.
That's 100% untrue. I use PhoneView - it requires the phone to be unlocked just like iTunes in order to trust the computer it is attached to. You may not remember it, but when you first ran it, like iTunes, the phone prompted you, asking if you wish to trust the Mac/PC it is attached to.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
Exactly what Apple didn't want to happen happened.

Hardly. Apple can fix security flaws, they can't fix precedent. In court documents, Apple specifically stated that they didn't believe the FBI had exhausted all their efforts to hack the phone. This is proof Apple was right about that. Apple wanted the case to move forward (because they expected to win), but this is hardly the worst case scenario.

MaulRx

Suspended
Aug 27, 2012
Hardly. Apple can fix security flaws, they can't fix precedent. In court documents, Apple specifically stated that they didn't believe the FBI had exhausted all their efforts to hack the phone. This is proof Apple was right about that. Apple wanted the case to move forward (because they expected to win), but this is hardly the worst case scenario.

Them getting into the phone isn't the issue, it's
how it went down. Apple said they didn't want to help because of the risk of the method getting out into the wild. They could have just helped, kept it quiet and we may never have known, instead they practically dared the creation of a method that they now have no control over themselves.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
The U.S. government has not decided whether the method used to break into the iPhone will be shared with Apple, but FBI director James Comey has said the tool used to access the iPhone only works on a "narrow slice of phones" that does not include the iPhone 5s and later.
No no, the FBI swore up and down that this whole deal to have Apple create a special one-off version of iOS for them was JUST FOR THIS ONE PHONE, so I'm sure they'll be handing the exploit they used over to Apple, so that Apple can fix it to protect their customers from hackers. After all, the FBI wouldn't want to contribute to evil hackers breaking into citizen's phones.

Last edited:

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
it was instead done with the help of "professional hackers" at least one of which is a "gray hat" researcher that sells flaws to governments, black market groups, or companies that create surveillance tools.

What's that old saying about lying down with dogs and getting fleas? Evidently crime can pay as long as it's the government is signing the cheque. Get your hack on folks, you never know when you might be called to serve your - or another - country.

Credibility is a little bird that flew out of the window.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Them getting into the phone isn't the issue, it's
how it went down. Apple said they didn't want to help because of the risk of the method getting out into the wild. They could have just helped, kept it quiet and we may never have known, instead they practically dared the creation of a method that they now have no control over themselves.
The security of this phone or even every iPhone 5c isn't a concern to Apple. They care about the future and that doesn't include working for the Feds. They wanted all of this happen and it's probably going exactly how they wanted it to. What did the Feds get it of it? They never cared about the one phone but they have to pretend like they do because they have already wasted so much taxpayer dollars. Now they have public sentiment against them even after they played the terrorist card.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Looks like there are multiple ways to hack iPhone. Not exactly a secure device, Tim.
There might be multiple ways to hack the iPhone 5C.

But I'm curious what the hackers would do with my iPhone 6S Plus with alphanumeric passcode of unknown length with 10 attempt wipe turned on.

If I'm alive... the FBI could force me to use my fingerprint for TouchID. But I would just use the wrong finger a few times and make the phone require the passcode.

If I'm dead... that's no longer a problem.

But the FBI still has my phone with a zillion possible passcode combinations.

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.